Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 11:23 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearnut View Post
Ken I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed reading your write up on Benson and it's history- truly fantastic !

Thanks for taking the time...

Mark
No problem - and you are quite welcome. Glad I could be of assistance.

Have to say not a lot has changed in Benson since I wrote all that - a few things but nothing really major. Benson is still sort'a struggling (as are most small towns in the US). A few businesses have closed while a few others have popped up. The biggest change is is the new medical building next door to the Butterfield RV Resort and Observatory. That's a REALLY GOOD addition.

Still, we love it here. It's the best place we've ever lived.

Ken

PS - I should add a couple of slight revisions/corrections to the Benson history.

1) The story of the interactions between the Apaches and the American settlers is more complicated and even more interesting than the brief history I gave. Google the "Bascom Affair" - it's a GREAT (and tragic) story.

2) Wyatt and Virgil Earp actually brought Morgan Earps' body to Fairbank railhead and then rode (on the train) up to the Benson main rail line and then on to Tucson (where the rail yard shootout with the Cowboys occurred).

Last edited by LordBalfor; 03-25-2019 at 11:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 08:39 AM

6 posts, read 9,116 times
[quote=LordBalfor;54777220]No problem - and you are quite welcome. Glad I could be of assistance.

Have to say not a lot has changed in Benson since I wrote all that - a few things but nothing really major. Benson is still sort'a struggling (as are most small towns in the US). A few businesses have closed while a few others have popped up. The biggest change is is the new medical building next door to the Butterfield RV Resort and Observatory. That's a REALLY GOOD addition.

Still, we love it here. It's the best place we've ever lived.

Ken

PS - I should add a couple of slight revisions/corrections to the Benson history.

1) The story of the interactions between the Apaches and the American settlers is more complicated and even more interesting than the brief history I gave. Google the "Bascom Affair" - it's a GREAT (and tragic) story.

Tragic tragic story indeed .. to think such a simple mix-up would result in a 25 year war - sheesh !

Old 09-04-2019, 05:25 PM

24,447 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StopLess View Post
I'm surprised not to see any posts on Anthem and the Sonoran Foothills...anyone?
Do a search in the Phoenix forum searching on Anthem. Lots of info in titles and text.

Old 02-03-2020, 08:24 AM

114 posts, read 334,321 times
In Tucson area, but Since it is higher elevation and a bit different than Tucson. A popular retirement community of about 5000. North of Tucson in foothills of Santa Catalina mountains. Was just at a hosted meet and greet last week for the area. Met a couple others from the forum. Thanks for all the information sharing.
Here is link for

Saddlebrooke community

https://groups.io/g/Saddlebrooke-community-info

Old 10-17-2020, 09:20 PM

90 posts, read 78,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr11 View Post
Anyone have any insight of the following? Moving to AZ from Colorado. Want a friendly clean community, kid friendly. Taking recommendations on any good housing developments...looking to rent.

Buckeye, Goodyear, Avondale, Litchfield, Tolleson...
Avoid Tolleson at all costs! The others are mostly fine, though Avondale is a bit ghetto in some areas. Buckeye has really developed in the last 20 years, but it’s quite far from most jobs. Where is your job going to be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona