Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 04:08 PM

6 posts, read 13,918 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I'm new to the forums so please be kind I've been doing my research for the past couple months in regards to moving to Arizona and I've narrowed a couple locations down I just need a little advice from people who live there. A little background... I'm a single mom of two boys 11 and 13 who are quite trendy and tech savvy also my mom is also going to make the move with us to help out with the boys. We are moving fom Mt Laurel, NJ

I am a Ultrasound Technologist and jobs in my field are abundant in the Phoenix, Gilbert, Mesa, Chandler, and Tempe areas. I'm coming out for four interviews on 5/27-5/29 so the job is pretty much lined up I've already had some offers now we just need a place to live...

I've looked into Scottsdale and feel it is overpriced. I like Gilbert, Chandler, some parts of Mesa,and Tempe, I'm looking to spend between 275k to 360k and I like newer houses.Is there a certain area I should stay away from besides most of Mesa? Any suggestions? All the realtors I talk to don't really say anything negative about any area. Any subdivisions you can recommend? I know Kyrene Schools are good any others? Thank you in advance for any advice you can give.

Last edited by sonogirl7; 05-24-2009 at 04:40 PM..

Old 05-24-2009, 05:14 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
You'd be very happy in Kyrene district. Good schools, lots of nice homes (there's a very nice one right near me in your price range, I can get you info if you are interested...

I don't know what you mean by newer, but many homes that were built in the 80s and 90s have been beautifully upgraded. Tempe (specifically south Tempe for Kyrene district) has ood freeway access, public transit, library, parks and recreation programs, and cultural events through the university and Tempe Center for the Arts.

In the other cities, the western part of Chandler is nicer (and, in the north part, still Kyrene district). In Mesa, the northeast part is the best. But, I'm a Tempe fan.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:19 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,559,611 times
Evidently you didnt conduct enough research about Arizona. The state has very low incomes compared to cost of living, it has the nations worst education, the highest rate of kidnappings, the highest state budget deficit, almost the highest in forclosures, and Mesa Glibert and Chandler ranked among the most 'boring' cities in the country. Surely there are better places you will find better than Arizona. As an Arizona resident, please stay away. There are too many people moving here and its ruining the desert. If you want to move to this part of the country, why not try New Mexico? Its Arizona with a lower profile--and better people and cost of living. Please conduct more research B4 moving here. Better yet, move elsewhere. PLEASE!

Old 05-24-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Evidently you didnt conduct enough research about Arizona. The state has very low incomes compared to cost of living, it has the nations worst education, the highest rate of kidnappings, the highest state budget deficit, almost the highest in forclosures, and Mesa Glibert and Chandler ranked among the most 'boring' cities in the country. Surely there are better places you will find better than Arizona. As an Arizona resident, please stay away. There are too many people moving here and its ruining the desert. If you want to move to this part of the country, why not try New Mexico? Its Arizona with a lower profile--and better people and cost of living. Please conduct more research B4 moving here. Better yet, move elsewhere. PLEASE!
Wow I get the feeling someone doesn't like nonlocals Well as far as the income goes for my field it is actually higher in AZ when compared to NJ. As far as boredom we can make our own fun. NJ is pretty boring as well.

I actually wasn't asking for an opinion on whether or not to move to AZ (that is already decided) I just wanted personal opinions of different areas from people with nothing to gain from giving it.

Thanks for your advice so far keep it coming.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:57 PM

Please don't listen to the above poster. He/she's all over this forum, including on other state's forums, spreading the same kind of, well, fertilizer, about Arizona and other places he/she's apparently lived, or talks like it.

I hope you like it here!

Old 05-24-2009, 06:10 PM

Red face Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Please don't listen to the above poster. He/she's all over this forum, including on other state's forums, spreading the same kind of, well, fertilizer, about Arizona and other places he/she's apparently lived, or talks like it.

I hope you like it here!
Thank you so much! I think we will like it there the boys are very excited they ask me everyday "Are we still moving to Arizona? You promised" I rent a small townhouse here in NJ for $2000 a month no real backyard no pool. I promised the boys a pool and a basketball court and they were sold. I also told them about the heat and my 13yo said as long as he doesn't have to shovel he doesn't care if it's 150 degrees LOL

Old 05-24-2009, 09:25 PM

I'm sure you can do better than that here, buying or renting.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:03 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,559,611 times
Excuse me folks, but I've lived in more than one state and am very knowledgable about such. Please dont bash my knowledge. I dont bash yours. I was speaking only my opinion. If you dont like my opinion about AZ, FINE, but dont criticize me just because I dont like AZ. Not everybody likes AZ. I know this is shocking for the native Arizonans to hear, but its true. Your not the only people in this country. Get over yourselves.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:44 PM

100 posts, read 338,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Excuse me folks, but I've lived in more than one state and am very knowledgable about such. Please dont bash my knowledge. I dont bash yours. I was speaking only my opinion. If you dont like my opinion about AZ, FINE, but dont criticize me just because I dont like AZ. Not everybody likes AZ. I know this is shocking for the native Arizonans to hear, but its true. Your not the only people in this country. Get over yourselves.
I have been reading your posts in this thread as well as others. One the one hand, you hate AZ and can't wait to move back to the Midwest. Then, on the other hand, you act like a long-term AZ resident who doesn't want any newcomers there. HELLO???!!! If you hate AZ so much, why not just leave? Are you chained to your house or something? And surely you realize that the Phoenix metro area, just by virtue of its size, but also because of the climate, is going to attract new residents on a regular basis? Were you born there? We have been in the Phoenix area twice this year, and both times virtually everyone that we met came from somewhere else. Who decides who is allowed to move to Phoenix, or anywhere else for that matter? You?

If AZ is not where you want to be, then I sincerely hope that you find somewhere that you can be happy, and SOON. In the meantime, don't wear yourself out trying to control who lives where. You'll just end up being frustrated.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:24 PM

687 posts, read 2,950,756 times
OP, you could also consider Ahwatukee, that's west of Chandler/Gilbert. Very nice area, good rep. If you aren't settled on Phoenix metro area, consider Tucson, disregard the negative stuff. Getting away from the interstate, it has beautiful areas, alot of wealth that doesn't strut and show off like Scottsdale does.
Smaller communities that are "trendy" and upper class would be Sedona, parts of Flagstaff and Wickenberg. Flagstaff is mountainous, pines and snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona