Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:32 AM

3 posts, read 5,555 times

Advertisements

My husband and I would like to relocate to Arizona. My husband is in his early 60's. Any suggestions on what part of Arizona would be nice for us. We would like more of a southern section but are not sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 11:37 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melcarty View Post
My husband and I would like to relocate to Arizona. My husband is in his early 60's. Any suggestions on what part of Arizona would be nice for us. We would like more of a southern section but are not sure.
Arizona is a pretty diverse place particularly with respect to weather. Lifestyle can vary from off the grid on acreage to downtown condo in Phoenix. What are your interests and needs?

Old 03-16-2010, 09:03 PM

467 posts, read 1,190,236 times
Quote:
Well, we are from Scottsdale and my wife and I would like no other place.
I can go on and on about how great it is. But I recommend that you come and visit and then see for yourself.

Head coach

Old 03-16-2010, 09:10 PM

Relaxed life style with some acreage. Southern part of Arizona, do not want to be in a neighborhood with strictly young families.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:16 PM

Thanks, we have been considering visiting. We are sick of the cold weather and my husband has arthritis in his hands and wrists. I believe the dry weather would help him.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:59 PM

36 posts, read 118,814 times
You may want to look into Sierra Vista. Sonoita, or Benson

Old 03-17-2010, 12:12 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,893,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageAmerican View Post
You may want to look into Sierra Vista. Sonoita, or Benson
Definitely, Cochise county is heaven

Old 03-17-2010, 07:41 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Thanks, we have been considering visiting. We are sick of the cold weather and my husband has arthritis in his hands and wrists. I believe the dry weather would help him.
If you want REALLY HOT summers and very mild winters, and almost no rain at all (ie pretty barren desert) - then choose somewhere in SW Arizona (Yuma, LHC, Phoenix area etc). They typically have winter highs in upper 60's to low 70's (Yuma is probably the hottest) and summer highs typically in the 100-110 range (obviously hotter than that sometimes).

If you want a bit milder - with RELATIVELY HOT (but not super hot) summers and fairly mild winters, and slightly more rain (ie arid grassland & shrubland with occasional small trees) - then choose somewhere in SE Arizona (as mentioned - Benson, Sierra Vista, etc). They typically have winter highs in the low 60's and summer highs in the low-mid 90's and upper 80's (towards the end of summer). The important thing to remember about Arizona climate is that ELEVATION is the most important factor rather than how far north or south your are in the state (thus Kingman - even though it's in the western part of the state has a climate more like that of Sierra Vista than Yuma). As a general rule however, in Southern Arizona, the further east you go, the higher the elevation is likely to be. This is why Yuma is so very hot, but Sierra Vista is not.

Tucson falls somewhere in the middle - quite hot with very mild winters, but not QUITE the furnace that Yuma, Phoenix and LHC are.

SE Arizona has a near perfect climate in my opinion - 2nd only to that of much more expensive SoCal.

Ken

Old 03-17-2010, 07:56 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Wow, a whole bunch of us happy here in Cochise County. I'm originally from Philly so the change from the Northeast can be made

Old 03-17-2010, 08:06 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Wow, a whole bunch of us happy here in Cochise County. I'm originally from Philly so the change from the Northeast can be made
Yeah, maybe we should shut up and keep the secret.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona