Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 12:53 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,475,807 times

Advertisements

Some of the moves that will help Arizona workers:

Abraxis Health, a unit of Los Angeles-based Abraxis BioScience Inc., opened a new plant that will create 200 jobs in 2010 -- in Phoenix. This follows the company's Phoenix expansions that occurred in 2007 and 2008.

Cessna Aircraft Co. moved its Long Beach, Calif., service center to the Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport in Mesa, Arizona in February 2009. About 65 percent of the 75 maintenance workers accepted Cessna’s offer to relocate from Long Beach to Mesa.

First American Corp., based in Santa Ana, will open a call center in March 2010 not in California but in Phoenix, where it expects to employ about 400 people within two years.

Hawker Beechcraft Services closed its Van Nuys, Calif., maintenance facility on March 31, 2009, relocating to Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport (IWA) in Mesa, Arizona.

Special Devices Inc. brought 250 jobs to Mesa, Arizona, from Moorpark, Calif.

The new "Governor's Office for Business Relocation from California" would meet with businesses in California and sell them on the benefits of relocating some or all of their business out of the third-world business climate that California has createed - incresed corporate taxation, increased workman's comp costs, increased regulatory reporting requirements and fines, higher fuel costs and taxation, higher water and electricity rates, and higher costs of living for employees. An active ad campaign and personal pitches to CEOs to entice California businesses to move here would tick off the S.F. and L.A. City Council more than any proposed power shut-off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 01:20 AM

63 posts, read 151,757 times
They don't ALL sell drugs some of these illegals are actually decent people just looking for a better life IN THE WRONG WAY. With that said I will be voting in Arizona soon and my votes are cast with politicians who favor stringent border controls, Arizona is the start of this revolution. Hey if people from Mexico want US citizenship they can join the service and earn that right. So far I haven't seen anything that allows them this privilege.......This should be available.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:35 AM

33 posts, read 106,622 times
Being married to a dude from Germany that had to work his can off to get legal here, I think I can say with some authority that the whole idea of becoming legal and proper like in America is something difficult, neccesary, and wonderful!

He came as a kid and his parents died. His Aunt took him in and never went about the citizenship process. He joined the Marines, which do not require citizenship-weird, huh?

About 5 years ago, a relative in the Govt told us he'd better hurry and apply, as things in CA were gonna get hot. He did and it took about a year and a half of red tape. But he DID it and jumped thru all of the required hoops.

I just think if you'd like to be here, then be here legally. It shouldn't be any different just because your country is attached and you can gain access a bit easier by walking over an imaginary line. I don't care what your nationality is, it just so happens our neighbor country is Mexico. If it were Sweden, would we all have hateful things to say about Swedes or any one that was pastey white and blond ?? (I'm Swede, so I can say this!!)

I have good friends that are Mexicans. But they are here legally. They have embraced America and adore it. They are law abiding citizens. I have a few American friends that are NOT law abiding and are cooling their heals in the pokey...

If one of them gets pulled over (this includes my German born hubby!) for doing something wrong, like running a red, driving under the influence...and the cop asks for proof of citizenship, who cares? If you're here legally, great, you get a ticket-you broke the law! If not, you still broke the law...now in 2 ways! Who cares what you look like! YOU BROKE THE LAW. It's the law no matter WHO you are! If you take the time to READ this new law, you will see they do not pull you over because you LOOK like a Mexican. They pull you over because you broke a traffic law.

Personally, I am a bit worried about the money that goes to non legals. My kid can't get any college money, yet an illegal girlfriend of hers just got a friggin scholarship!! Even SHE was laughing about the very idea that they gave her all of that money! Damn!! What's up with THAT?! Bassackwards...

SO...after all this rambling...We've been looking at moving to Oregon or Arizona...pretty much anywhere BESDIES california. This new law gives me no pause whatsoever.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:15 PM

177 posts, read 432,206 times
It shouldnt

Old 07-29-2010, 10:14 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,705 times
As a Hispanic man who's lived legally in the USA for more than 30 years, I congratulate Arizona for taking the road less traveled and for taking a bold stance against illegal immigration.

Some of us Hispanics who migrate to this country do so with the intention of ridding ourselves from the corruption which plagues our countries of origin. We come here to better ourselves and to become productive Citizens of main stream society. Of the "some" a few of us do manage to achieve the so called "American Dream." The American Dream is nothing more than what responsible law abiding people want, regardless of their ethnic background.

At my place of work I feel fortunate to share my American Dream with people from places like Vietnam, India, Taiwan, The Phillipines, etc.; people who are here legally and do their very best to comply with the law, learn the language and customs of everyday USA, and be assets (not burdens) of society.

No matter our backgrounds, we share a civil and respectful commonality based on the fact that we are here to better ourselves - and in the process - be productive Citizens of a great nation known as. . .The United States of America.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:15 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
yes , now i really like them.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:35 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times
Those who come here legally from Mexico are generally middle and upper class over and can afford attorneys to get papers.

Many of those who come here illegally are not so fortunate.

We need to fix Mexico for this inflow of poor illegal immigrants to stop. Until we do that, poor people will continue to come here. A wall may stem the flow but the coyotes are still able to get people in here for a fee.

I favor limiting illegal immigration but am split on the issue because my girlfriend (she was born here) comes from a poor Mexican family who mostly came here illegally. They are now mostly lower middle class, working as long-time factory workers who own their own homes. They are vehemently opposed to the 1070 measure and she even has some uncles living in the Phoenix area. Her mother (came here 30 years ago and was given amnesty the first time around in the 1980s) actually would like them to get pulled over and given a court date as it would push their legalization along (They are 7 years into 10 year process to get papers).

Old 07-30-2010, 07:44 PM

214 posts, read 1,310,337 times
I'm amazed at the number of people who have time to picket and demonstrate over all this. Wow. Don't you people have a job or something you should be doing??

Ahh, wait....no you probably don't. Sorry, I forgot. I'm your social support network; the guy who's working his butt off to support you.

Remind me again why I should be against this bill? Maybe I can find some time off work to come down and voice an opinion.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:48 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,394,296 times
Arizona...it's a dry hate.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:46 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,103 times
Quote:
Arizona...it's a dry hate.
Most ignorant post I've seen in a while.

Quote:
I'm amazed at the number of people who have time to picket and demonstrate over all this. Wow. Don't you people have a job or something you should be doing??
There are professional protesters and picketers. Usually, they get paid either by a union or an organization. They may or may not actually care about whatever issue is on their sign (or even be informed about whatever issue). A large number of the anti-1070 protesters were from California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona