Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 09:04 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times

Advertisements

Has SB 1070 affected anybody's decision to move to AZ?

No. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other because justice will be served. I believe the law is unconstitutional because it attempts to override Federal law and states cannot do that. I agree the Federal government should uphold its immigration laws after severe immigration reform, including enforcing e-verify so that employers can no longer profit from cheap labor. Make these people citizens and the first thing they'll do is join a union. That's why most conservatives and employers want things to stay the way they are. Though they won't really be caught on tape (or whispering) that that's what they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 09:49 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,519,794 times
Quote:
Make these people citizens and the first thing they'll do is join a union. That's why most conservatives and employers want things to stay the way they are.
Most conservatives want them deported (which is much different than "the way things are"). When illegal aliens can figure out how to come legally, than we'll welcome them with open arms. But when the very first thing you do when you step foot in this country is break the law, well, that's a very bad first step (pun intended). It shows that you have zero respect for the laws of this country. No wonder, despite the fact that only 7% of people in Arizona are illegal aliens, 14% of Arizona's prison population are illegal aliens. Wow, an illegal alien is twice as likely to end up in an Arizona prison than a U.S. citizen. Why is that?

Old 07-31-2010, 02:11 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,635,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
As a Hispanic man who's lived legally in the USA for more than 30 years, I congratulate Arizona for taking the road less traveled and for taking a bold stance against illegal immigration.

Some of us Hispanics who migrate to this country do so with the intention of ridding ourselves from the corruption which plagues our countries of origin. We come here to better ourselves and to become productive Citizens of main stream society. Of the "some" a few of us do manage to achieve the so called "American Dream." The American Dream is nothing more than what responsible law abiding people want, regardless of their ethnic background.

At my place of work I feel fortunate to share my American Dream with people from places like Vietnam, India, Taiwan, The Phillipines, etc.; people who are here legally and do their very best to comply with the law, learn the language and customs of everyday USA, and be assets (not burdens) of society.

No matter our backgrounds, we share a civil and respectful commonality based on the fact that we are here to better ourselves - and in the process - be productive Citizens of a great nation known as. . .The United States of America.
I could only rep you once but this is a great post ! All I have ever asked of anyone is to be here legally and not be a drain on the society you live in.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:16 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,635,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaggy View Post
Arizona...it's a dry hate.
I know I shouldn't laugh but I did......

Old 07-31-2010, 06:25 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,389,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
Most conservatives want them deported (which is much different than "the way things are"). When illegal aliens can figure out how to come legally, than we'll welcome them with open arms. But when the very first thing you do when you step foot in this country is break the law, well, that's a very bad first step (pun intended). It shows that you have zero respect for the laws of this country. No wonder, despite the fact that only 7% of people in Arizona are illegal aliens, 14% of Arizona's prison population are illegal aliens. Wow, an illegal alien is twice as likely to end up in an Arizona prison than a U.S. citizen. Why is that?
I can think of a lot of factors that might account for the high percentage of illegals in Arizona prisons.

Just from a sociological point of view, there are some obvious possibilities. One is social status. Illegals in Arizona are frequently the target of special enforcement. The fact that guys like Arpaio launch sweeps against illegals assures that, at least part of the time, a skewed percentage of them get arrested, relative to the general population. Other groups may be committing crimes at a similar rate or even higher rate, but are not being treated to all the official attention, and thus go undetected.

Another factor is money. Once arrested and charged, I doubt most illegals can afford to hire attorneys, let alone good attorneys. The vast majority are probably represented by public defenders. These people are often very dedicated and hard-working, but let's face it- they are under lots of pressure to cut deals. When your PD cuts a deal- guess what? You're going to jail!

Then, of course, even on the rare occasions they actually get a trial, illegals face the likely-hood of having their case heard by a less-than-sympathetic jury.

Of course, this is assuming your numbers are in fact accurate. You may be arguing from a flawed premise. The population of illegals in the state at any given time is a crude estimate at best. Maybe it's higher than 7% of the population. Maybe it's really 10%. The closer it gets to 14%, the less significant your ratio becomes.

So those are a few possible reasons.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:28 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Has SB 1070 affected anybody's decision to move to AZ?

No. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other because justice will be served. I believe the law is unconstitutional because it attempts to override Federal law and states cannot do that. I agree the Federal government should uphold its immigration laws after severe immigration reform, including enforcing e-verify so that employers can no longer profit from cheap labor. Make these people citizens and the first thing they'll do is join a union. That's why most conservatives and employers want things to stay the way they are. Though they won't really be caught on tape (or whispering) that that's what they want.
What's wrong with enforcing the immigration laws we ALREADY have and have always had? Why do we need "reform"? E-verify has been in affect since 2007 but I agree, we need more enforcement. Exactly what does "reform" entail?? They won't be joining any unions in AZ, that's for sure.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Of course, this is assuming your numbers are in fact accurate. You may be arguing from a flawed premise. The population of illegals in the state at any given time is a crude estimate at best. Maybe it's higher than 7% of the population. Maybe it's really 10%. The closer it gets to 14%, the less significant your ratio becomes.
That may be true. I was going off of data from the AZ Republic. So I figured that the 7% was a high estimate. But I'm sure it fluctuates.

Quote:
One is social status. Illegals in Arizona are frequently the target of special enforcement.
At the same time, they are trying to "hide" from law-enforcement, too, which could bring down the numbers....

Quote:
Another factor is money.
I agree, but from a different angle. Crime tends to be higher in lower income neighborhoods. Assuming most illegal aliens are very poor, they are also in higher crime neighborhoods (and contributing to that...not all of them, obviously, that's not what I'm suggesting....).

Quote:
illegals face the likely-hood of having their case heard by a less-than-sympathetic jury.
That's the way it should be! They are not citizens. Literally, the very first thing they did in America was break the law. Why should they get any sympathy for breaking another law?

Old 07-31-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
illegals face the likely-hood of having their case heard by a less-than-sympathetic jury.
That's the way it should be! They are not citizens. Literally, the very first thing they did in America was break the law. Why should they get any sympathy for breaking another law?>>>

I used the wrong word there. I shouldn't have said sympathetic, I should have said impartial. The accused is always entitled to an impartial jury, regardless of his/her citizenship. Whether they "broke another law" or not is exactly what the trial is meant to determine. Illegals are not entitled to sympathy from juries, but they are entitled to fairness, same as everyone else. In the over-heated atmosphere in Arizona right now, how good are their chances of getting it?

Old 07-31-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
I should have said impartial. The accused is always entitled to an impartial jury
And they are not getting this? How do you know? Or are you just speculating?

Old 08-01-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
And they are not getting this? How do you know? Or are you just speculating?
In the case of illegals accused in Arizona? Let's just call it a hunch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona