Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,187 times

Advertisements

My son and his wife live in the Batesville ares. Both the Batesville and Southside school districts are Great! Not too much winter weather but still all four seasons. They live in Rosie that is small but only 20 minutes out of Batesville about 13000 i think. Coutry but city. Not much crime. Dont overlook this area. Let me know if you need help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 10:30 PM

140 posts, read 475,161 times
Hello, My wife also has Fibermialgia, sorry to hear your troubles. Now, Since the Tornadoes, you might wanna stay away from Flat areas, we live in a hilly area and the storms seem to get split up here and pass on the ruff stuff, Moderator cut: no advertising or anything close to it, please! Thanks..., the market is slowing down so you should be able to find something in your price range. there is a health clinic in Flippin with liked Doctors, Mountain home is 25-30 mins away from Flippin for the Regional Hospital, we subscribe to Evac to heliport us to Hospitals fast- 65/yr for a family. Lookup towns around this area , nice people, we moved here just 3ys ago and made friends , safe clean area.Mild Climate. Best Wishes, AJ and Denise Feel free to look us up if you visit.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 02-14-2008 at 03:00 AM..

Old 04-02-2008, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,082 times
Default Arkansas, the place to live

Mountain View is the best. Look up Mountain View on the internet. I am moving there in September. Mountain Home is too busy. Mountain View has 2900 population, good schools and fantastic people.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,074 times
Default Living in Arkansas

Harrison would not be a place I would recomend. It is a bit of a you aint from here is you town.
Hot Springs is a town that is much more atune to people who do not beat bibles and beat gays.
The mountians here are wonderfull.
There is a festivel every week in summer horse racing in winter.
Homes can be found for under 100k here if you are not real pickey.

Eurika Springs is another nice place but it is very expensive place to live as it is only a tourist town.
Fayettville is another Nice place and home prices have dropped a bit.
Work and the economy is still moving nice in Hot Springs.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:08 AM

292 posts, read 1,307,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidaka View Post
I would like to hear more about your comments on Ozark. I am considering retiring/relocating to this town. Everything I have seen in my visits and read in brochures and internet are very positive.
I've been in Ozark a lot, as my family has a cabin in the mountains near there. I think it's a nice town, but then I don't live there full time. But I find everything to be neat and clean, nice grocery store, small Wal Mart, neat downtown, most homes well-kept, and it's just a short interstate ride (or backroads, which are very scenic!) away from Ft. Smith/Van Buren, with larger shopping opportunities, if you're into that. Any direction you drive from Ozark is interesting and scenic. As for housing, schools, churches, etc., I can't help you much there. But we've met a lot of nice people there. If you have any specific questions, I'll try to help you.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:18 AM

292 posts, read 1,307,986 times
Yorkie Mom, the western part of Arkansas, in the Ozark or Ouachita mountains, is SO full of neat small towns and beautiful scenery it will make your head swim to try to make a choice! I guess, with a 12-yo daughter, your main criteria would be a good school, and I can't help you there because I'm not a full-time resident of Arkansas.

But I can tell you that the humidity is everywhere, though less so the further north you go. Coming from Louisiana, though, it doesn't seem so bad to me. Here, it's like living in a sauna. Mosquitoes, they're everywhere, too, although fewer in open areas away from woods.

I hope you find somewhere that your little girl will be happy. Let us know how things go for y'all!

Old 04-27-2008, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,021 times
Default Language issues in Arkansas

Moving to Arkansas from Minnesota, you are going to face issues with accents. Actually, moving to New York from Arkansas, I faced and still face issues with my accent. Accents simply prove you are not from there, and the more different the accent, then the further away you seem to the locals.

Many Northerners have moved to the Ozarks, Northwest Arkansas, Hot Springs, and the Mountain Home area. Once a certain concentration of Northerners (people with 'funny' accents) move into an area, a critical mass develops and the discrimination against outsiders seems to abate quite a bit. Most Northerners seeking to escape cold winters like north Arkansas (Fayetteville, Bella Vista, Yellville, Harrison, Eureka Springs, Berryville, Hardy, Mountain Home) because there really are four seasons (a little bit of winter). Move to south Arkansas, forget having a winter at all! Arkansas is close to the Gulf of Mexico, and the closer you get to the Gulf, the hotter and more humid it will be. This makes Arkansas a great place to raise hot-weather agricultural commodities like rice and cotton.

It sounds like Dover, outside of Russellville, might just be perfect for you. It is not in the 'expensive' northern part of the state which has high property prices due to Northerners with money moving in, yet it is not in the hotter south or flatter and mosquito-ridden east Arkansas areas. There is a college nearby (Ark Tech), it is on an interstate highway, and it is near a decent-sized town (Russellville). There are great opportunities for fishing and outdoors activities (watch those ticks and chiggers in the summer, though). There are no race-relations problems in the area (Arkansas has had a history going back to 1957 of poor race relations in certain areas). The area is "dry," which means no alcohol. You can drive miles and miles to buy it, but drinking alcohol is generally frowned upon (religious thing).

I wish you luck in your pursuit and since it has been years since you posted, I bet you are already at home in some nice town in Arkansas.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:36 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Mal54,

I hear ya. I am more worried about he rate I speak when we arrive than accents. I don't have an accent but talk faster than any train can move. I know those in the south and even mid west speak very slowly. Maybe I can teach them to speed it up and they can teach me not to think I am in a race for the last word all the time.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:54 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,547,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Mal54,

I hear ya. I am more worried about he rate I speak when we arrive than accents. I don't have an accent but talk faster than any train can move. I know those in the south and even mid west speak very slowly. Maybe I can teach them to speed it up and they can teach me not to think I am in a race for the last word all the time.
My husband and his siblings are all native Arkansans. His youngest sister rattles off so fast I can hardly keep up wth her. The rest of the family talk slower, but not with a southern drawl.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,986 times
Default Diversity in NWA?

Hello all, I'm an African American professional and I'm confused about something...Wal-Mart is "voted" one of the best places to work for Black MBAs, but I get mixed messages about "being welcomed" in that part of the country...how can that be? Do they (we) tend to accept positions in "reputed" progressive cities with Wal-Mart or is Bentonville not as "bad" as people say it is?

All comments welcomed -- any Black MBAs working for Wal-Mart in Bentonville out there that care to share their thoughts too?

From my perspective, I have to work and "ignore" racism because at the end of the day I have a job to do...and it's not like I don't encounter "bias" in other parts of the country...it's my opinion that bias manifests itself in all sorts of ways for all sorts of reasons...thanx!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas