Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 12:51 AM

666 posts, read 2,537,926 times

Advertisements

i was reading something and it said that arkansas is considered "southern". When i think of Arkansas i really dont think of southern hospitality, and other things people associate with the south, it seems to me Arkansas would fit in with the plains states, anyways, just thought id bring that up...anyone have any input???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 04:41 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,745,612 times
arkansas is southern, without a doubt.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:05 AM

490 posts, read 1,266,868 times
arguy1973, I see you show Crowleys Ridge as home. I lived in Wynne from 1976 to 1980 and enjoyed some of the best peaches I have ever eaten while living there and most of the orchards were on the ridge. I hope they still grow them as I'll be passing through Wynne in about two weeks and would like to get some.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:22 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,745,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btoverdrive View Post
arguy1973, I see you show Crowleys Ridge as home. I lived in Wynne from 1976 to 1980 and enjoyed some of the best peaches I have ever eaten while living there and most of the orchards were on the ridge. I hope they still grow them as I'll be passing through Wynne in about two weeks and would like to get some.
IDk about Wynne, its been awhile since Ive been thru there, Leachville has good peaches..try Swihart orchards if your close to there. I do live on the ridge but further north than Wynne..about an hour.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:23 AM

654 posts, read 1,910,472 times
Have you been to Arkansas? It is very southern.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:46 AM

50 posts, read 317,577 times
I think Arkansas is a state where several "regions" blend. I would say that the lower half, especially the Southeastern corner has a definite southern feel; the upper half, especially the Northwest corner is more midwestern in feel; and the Southwestern corner has wafts of both southern and southwestern. Spend a week in McGehee, a week in Texarkana, and a week in Fayetteville and I think you'll feel the regional differences.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:00 AM

154 posts, read 679,679 times
The Northwest Corner of the state is not as “southern” as the rest of the state in terms of population or deep rooted southern culture.

Fayetteville has a large population of university students and professors who move here from other states and countries along with a population of Wal-Mart suppliers. Springdale and Rogers have large Hispanic populations and Springdale has the largest population of Marshallese Islands people outside of the islands. Bentonville is mostly job transplants working for Wal-Mart or Wal-Mart suppliers usually coming from East or West coast states or internationally. Bella Vista is mostly retirees and in driving through Bella Vista you can see every state represented on license plates.

It's this mix of people and cultures that makes NWA feel different than the rest of the state - - that and the strong economy in Benton and Washington counties.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:17 AM

443 posts, read 1,567,212 times
Yep, Northwest Arkansas feels more like Missouri/Oklahoman to me, But once you start heading down towards the river valley and Mena, the southern hits you pretty quick. Most of Arkansas is textbook southern, which isn't a bad thing, I love going over there and experiencing the hospitality. Little Rock is a southern city without a doubt, but I think most visitors would be fairly suprised by how progressive the city is. A little caveat there, because some of the burbs go backwoods quick, but Little Rock is a fairly cultural little city.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:13 AM

41 posts, read 155,616 times
Little Rock has quite a bit of culture for its size, always something to do here. of course there is also the rampant crime, but my rule is just don't go where it happens and things are usually fine.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
geographically Arkansas is a southern state. Like Va and maybe a few other states, it you go to the northern most parts of the state is will appear to ba something other than southern. NO VA is more mid Atlanticl and attracts many people from other parts of the country, working for the government in DC. NWA, as mentioned has a large population of people connected to the university or working for Wal Mart, again, from many parts of the USA, plus it is on the MO state line, thus some think of it as mid west more than southern. It is still the south as is the rest of the state.

My contribution to the geography lesson as taught to me in 5th grade about 250 years ago.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas