Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 03:10 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,932,278 times

Advertisements

I would also check with county that your deed is recorded and valid and no leans.I might be wrong but have heard comments on American Land.The C.V. is hilly,we lived in Salem for a year,didn't like tax structure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 03:20 PM

59 posts, read 214,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I would also check with county that your deed is recorded and valid and no leans.I might be wrong but have heard comments on American Land.The C.V. is hilly,we lived in Salem for a year,didn't like tax structure.
Their are allot of unusable lots in C.V. that are sold cheap. People will buy them for S.I.D. rights, so they can use the lakes and parks but don't live here. People have to be real careful when buying a lot, Pictures don't always tell the truth.
Cherokee Village has a great fireworks show on the 4th at the T.Bird dam.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:20 PM

70 posts, read 237,827 times
Thank you all for your help! I really do appreciate you taking the time to help! I am not going to worry about whether or not I have a cheap lot or an unusable lot, I know that God will work things out and put us where He wants us.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:44 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvarkansas View Post
but it is a long way (I wouldn't call it a short drive, looks like probably over an hour to me) from even the edges of the Ozark mountains, isn't it? I'm thinking there aren't any real mountains until you get west of Harrison, and that looks like a pretty good drive from Cherokee Village.
I would say the most in-your-face example would be to take 9 south out of Melbourne, as if going to Blanchard Springs or Mountain View. Very shortly through Melbourne, it becomes apparent quickly that you are in the mountains, not the foothills. There are a number of spots to pull off for the "ooooh" factor. It is a drive I heartedly recommend for anyone in the area, though if heights and expanse intimidate, you may just want to do it once.

Melbourne from CV isn't far.

A little farther down the road, around...Sylamore, I think, they're building houses into the mountain side and asking a bunch of money for them.

I think that what we become accustomed to, the hills south of 56 and to the west, are what a lot of people want to see. It's not tough to take a little drive and have breathtaking views. For people that are flatlanders, it's impressive.

I'm not far from CV, and I can walk about 400 yards up into a cattle field (carefully), and have a 20+ mile view of the countryside.

I think some folks would classify those hills over in Hardy (where the *big* houses nestle) as mountains, and you've gotta admit there's some nice views on the sin-run drive into Thayer.

Have you eaten over at Beach Club Barbecue? Check the sunset from their parking lot. That's a view.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
I would say the most in-your-face example would be to take 9 south out of Melbourne, as if going to Blanchard Springs or Mountain View. Very shortly through Melbourne, it becomes apparent quickly that you are in the mountains, not the foothills. There are a number of spots to pull off for the "ooooh" factor. It is a drive I heartedly recommend for anyone in the area, though if heights and expanse intimidate, you may just want to do it once.

Melbourne from CV isn't far.

A little farther down the road, around...Sylamore, I think, they're building houses into the mountain side and asking a bunch of money for them.

I think that what we become accustomed to, the hills south of 56 and to the west, are what a lot of people want to see. It's not tough to take a little drive and have breathtaking views. For people that are flatlanders, it's impressive.

I'm not far from CV, and I can walk about 400 yards up into a cattle field (carefully), and have a 20+ mile view of the countryside.

I think some folks would classify those hills over in Hardy (where the *big* houses nestle) as mountains, and you've gotta admit there's some nice views on the sin-run drive into Thayer.

Have you eaten over at Beach Club Barbecue? Check the sunset from their parking lot. That's a view.
Have you eaten over at Beach Club Barbecue??? OO yes Good Sunday buffet.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:17 AM

5 posts, read 12,932 times
Default We too have a place in Cherokee Village

We have a small 2 bdrm cottage in Cherokee Village, however we live in Northern California. Getting so expensive here in California to live we were considering moving into our place in CV AR. We have been renting the cottage out but it recently became available.

We live in a small community here in Northern California so are used to small towns however I think CV is even smaller. We have never seen the house except thru pictures and have had King Rhodes manage it which I might add they have done a most excellent job with.

My question about the area is what about snakes? Can you swim in the lakes there? I think this is the one thing I would not want to deal with. We do have rattlesnake here in our area. Personally I've never seen one in 9 years, however my neighbor killed one recently.

From what I've read I'm thinking they might be prevalant in this area. Perhaps one could comment on the snakes in Cherokee Village, also interested in humidity, bugs mosquitos, chiggers etc.

Really have none of those kind of pests here but just love the beauty I've seen in pictures of the CV area.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:41 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harte View Post
Perhaps one could comment on the snakes in Cherokee Village, also interested in humidity, bugs mosquitos, chiggers etc.

Really have none of those kind of pests here but just love the beauty I've seen in pictures of the CV area.
Yes, there are snakes in CV, but the chances of you seeing one are slim. I don't live far from CV, and own land there. I live on a farm in the hills, and do what's called "bush hogging" frequently, which is driving a tractor through thick brush pulling a mower-on-steroids.

That's prime snake territory, and I have seen a few, but it's not that common.

Humidity is certainly present. It is hot here from June-September, and folks just adjust for it. I think most feel it's justified for the weather the rest of the year.

Chiggers and ticks can be dealt with. In CV, a lot of residents have bird feeders, which means the birds aren't eating the bugs. Any fear of ticks, chiggers, or mosquitos can be dealt with by applying a little deet based spray.

Yes, CV is beautiful. It's residents are mostly retired, with a large contingent from Illinois, Wisconsin, and Iowa, and they have clubs there for each state.

There are numerous social groups and functions within the city.

You'll see the nicest gardens and lawns in this part of the state there.

Yes,there is swimming, and when you arrive, get your S.I.D. card, and that opens all facilities and functions for you.

Hmmm...I guess that's the basics.

We have several people here that reside there, perhaps they can add something.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Yes, there are snakes in CV, but the chances of you seeing one are slim. I don't live far from CV, and own land there. I live on a farm in the hills, and do what's called "bush hogging" frequently, which is driving a tractor through thick brush pulling a mower-on-steroids.

That's prime snake territory, and I have seen a few, but it's not that common.

Humidity is certainly present. It is hot here from June-September, and folks just adjust for it. I think most feel it's justified for the weather the rest of the year.

Chiggers and ticks can be dealt with. In CV, a lot of residents have bird feeders, which means the birds aren't eating the bugs. Any fear of ticks, chiggers, or mosquitos can be dealt with by applying a little deet based spray.

Yes, CV is beautiful. It's residents are mostly retired, with a large contingent from Illinois, Wisconsin, and Iowa, and they have clubs there for each state.

There are numerous social groups and functions within the city.

You'll see the nicest gardens and lawns in this part of the state there.

Yes,there is swimming, and when you arrive, get your S.I.D. card, and that opens all facilities and functions for you.

Hmmm...I guess that's the basics.

We have several people here that reside there, perhaps they can add something.
The only thing I can add, Is we have been here to years now. Love Cherokee Village, Best thing we did was to move here.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:00 PM

5 posts, read 12,932 times
Thanks so much good info, We were all set to go and my wife found a post from one who left california and went to arkansas. It thru me for a loop too. She carried on how the lakes are full of snakes and the thought of swimming was rediculous.

Now the picture you painted is the one I've always had.

Let me ask are there snakes in the Cherokee Village Lakes that would keep one from swimming?

thanks so much again. I'm going to offset the one post i saw with your obvious love for area.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:31 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harte View Post
Thanks so much good info, We were all set to go and my wife found a post from one who left california and went to arkansas. It thru me for a loop too. She carried on how the lakes are full of snakes and the thought of swimming was rediculous.

Now the picture you painted is the one I've always had.

Let me ask are there snakes in the Cherokee Village Lakes that would keep one from swimming?

thanks so much again. I'm going to offset the one post i saw with your obvious love for area.
While I can't speak for CV lakes in particular, I can tell you that you can find a snake or two in any lake in Arkansas and probably all the neighboring states as well. However, the good thing is, you probably wouldn't want to swim in any location where snakes would frequent because it will be brushy and full of snags on the bottom and likewise snakes are not going to want to swim or hang out where you will want to be as there would be little to no cover for them hide or find food in.

I grew up swimming in Bull Shoals and can't remember ever seeing a snake in and around the designated swimming areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas