Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 05:08 PM

350 posts, read 1,288,173 times

Advertisements

Man, I love Whole Hog.

If you really want something special, go to Sim's. The best is the original on 33rd. Some people here would be afraid to hit that 'hood but I've never had a problem there. That place has been serving BBQ there since 1932.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 10:44 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,333,985 times
I'm willing to get mugged in the quest for good BBQ.
Had some really good BBQ in Hot Springs also.
Next time I'm in Little Rock I'll put on a suit of armor and head to Sims!

Old 08-15-2008, 02:46 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,266,592 times
Did Tom's on 12th St. close? THAT was the best barbecue of all...smoked cheese...mmmm....it was about a half block west of 12th and Fair Park on the north side of 12th.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:29 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,333,985 times
Don't know much about her politically, but any US Senator who has a link to BBQ joints can't be all bad:

Constituent Information - Arkansas Information - BBQ Bandwagon (http://lincoln.senate.gov/info_arkansas_bbq.htm - broken link)

Old 08-16-2008, 05:51 PM

If you ever make it to Hot Springs, there are two on that list I love - McClard's and Purity. Both have also been there for several decades.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:01 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Default taqueria attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
Or if you want authentic Mexican, hit one of the taquerias in Southwest LR or Levy in NLR.
Can somebody give me a cross steet point for a taqueria search in LR?

I gotta go there in a couple of weeks and haven't seen a taqueria since I moved here.

Need my fix.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:51 PM

Geyer Springs, Chicot Rd and Baseline are the places to find them.

There's a good one in a safer neighborhood in LR on Rodney Parham near Reservoir as well.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:10 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aporkalypse View Post
Geyer Springs, Chicot Rd and Baseline are the places to find them.

There's a good one in a safer neighborhood in LR on Rodney Parham near Reservoir as well.
Thanks.....

I've gotta go there to get my car serviced at the *one* dealer in the state, so I want to hto some things that I can't find up here.

Is it really hazardous?

When I worked in Chicagoland and I first started talking about wanting to go into mexican sections to eat, people were saying, "Ohhhh no, man. They'll shoot you/put battery acid in your taco/steal your car.."

Well, shucks, my mom never accused me of having a great deal of common sense, so I went anyway.

Nobody spoke english but me, but I got the idea across, and had some of the best food I've ever eaten. "Mexican" restaurants are a real let down after that.

Carne Asada tacos loaded with cilantro.....

Oh yeah.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:05 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,858,693 times
I don't consider myself an expert, but I love Mexican food, and eat at as many different places as I can, in as many cities as I can. That said, El Dorado on Asher, just east of University, is the absolute best, all-around Mexican restaurant I've ever eaten at. I have had everything on the menu at one time or another, and have never, ever had a bad meal there.
I don't remember them having the carne asada with cilantro tacos like you describe (I know what you're talking about, there's a place in Kansas City called Cancun Fiesta, in Westport that has those... yum), but their shredded beef is substantially better than other places I've been to. A lot of places shredded beef don't taste much different than a pot roast, but El Dorado's is fantastic. Try the chimichanga with that in it. Perfect proportions of sour cream and guacamole on top.. not clobbed on too heavily like most places... The chips and salsa are also excellent, but they're not real consistent with it, sometimes it's really spicy, sometimes, not so spicy.. always good, though. It's almost worth a trip back to Little Rock just to go eat there.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:33 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
Interesting, I had a great pizza there but even those who make "the best" can have a bad day. [Not that I think American Pie is the best] Which American Pie did you go to?
It was the one in NLR on Maumelle Blvd. I'm sure it was just a bad day cuz there's NO WAY they could stay in business serving stuff like that all the time! I've had pies stratospherically better at Chuck E Cheese for goodness sake. It was that bad.

I would have called and complained and gotten another freebie but I figure there are enough decent pizza joints that I don't need to help them fix their issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas