Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 12:47 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,210,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadbrosto View Post
this is all crap! little rock hostile towards gays? you would not believe the gay population in LR! i see white couples with black children all the time! I see interracial couples all the time! that goes without mentioning eureka or f'ville. LR is much more tolerant to alternative lifestyles than these people here are saying. we have to be, as LR is becoming much more culturally diverse in the last few years. women with headscarfs, i see it all the time, but WHO CARES!! but i am not a bible toting, judgment making religious freak that has nothing else to do but worry about others business! and i know many many others like myself. i would not take the other posts to heart, LR is not culturally and intellectually 1955 as one post said. maybe they are just hostile towards alternative lifestyles and don't want to admit it. WE WOULD LOVE TO HAVE YOU IN LR!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh, man.........

Why is it every time somebody calls all the hand-wringers over for a get together, somebodys got to post facts and spoil the party?

I dodn't live in LR, but I have spent a good deal of time there and done quite a bit, well...ok...sometimes "too much" mingling, and haven't bumped into the noose-carrying anti-whatevers that are portrayed, yet.

As I mentioned before, I just got back, and I saw just about every ethnic, race, relationship variable there is.

What I didn't see is anybody being stared at, pointed at, ignored, snubbed, or refused entrance. I talked with several nationalities over cocktails, a couple of who we struggled to communicate, there were interracial couples around, gay couples around....I surveilled to see who was revolted by this, but they evaded me by hiding behind their smiles and conversation.

Another thing...."there's nothing to do"...

Come on, I have a rather thick PR book laying right here on the desk titled, "The best of Little Rock". It lists page after page of clubs, bars, concerts, restaurants, music venues, museums, exhibits.....

As much as I tried, I could only make a small dent in them, but despite my much thinner wallet and slight headache afterwards, I totally enjoyed the people I conversed with, and I didn't get called, "hillbilly" a single time.

I dunno.

Is there a particular place and time I need to be to see the racist, gay-bashing, pro-klan, redneck, populace?

Will I have to wait long? Stand in line? Do they serve popcorn?

I gotta know in advance, because reservations ain't easy where I stay.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:05 PM

445 posts, read 1,071,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Agree, and depending on your age, some of them might spit on you. Its very possible you could have your house or car vandalized also. Live your life here as if it was 1955, because intelectually and culturally, it is.
"Live your life here as if it was 1955, because intelectually and culturally, it is."
Now see, this is the kind of put-it-on-the-table attitude that I can appreciate, in regards to the OP's post. Other state forums, they get highly defensive, if that honest comparison was made, regarding their homestate.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:32 PM

445 posts, read 1,071,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benGinTx View Post
You're being ridiculous. The point of these forums, from my understanding at least, is to learn a little bit about an area, share info about an area. You assume that we are going to take the advice of strangers and make a move soley with that information? NO, it is simply one step in the process to speak with the people that actually DO live there currently. It makes perfect sense to me, and this forum seems like the perfect place to do the asking. If these topics bore you, if you are sooo tired of hearing about these same topics, then why do you read them and, even more outrageous, comment? Now THAT makes no sense and can only be indicative of an individual with too much time on his or her hands.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:44 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscogeeButterfly View Post
"Live your life here as if it was 1955, because intelectually and culturally, it is."
Now see, this is the kind of put-it-on-the-table attitude that I can appreciate, in regards to the OP's post. Other state forums, they get highly defensive, if that honest comparison was made, regarding their homestate.
You obviously were not living in 1955. Believe me, even AR is nothing like the country was 55 years ago..

Nita

Old 05-13-2009, 11:09 AM

837 posts, read 2,249,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscogeeButterfly View Post
oh please.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:01 PM

83 posts, read 142,249 times
Hey Ben,

My partner and I are also moving to Arkansas. I had lived in Arkansas previously and can tell you that there will be people and places that may feel uncomfortable with you but I can tell you that you will probably experience much more eyebrow-wiggling for being gay than having an interracial family.

Don't get me wrong, I have never been openly gay-bashed in Arkansas but I have experienced intolerance and ignorance from employers and people who were just ignorant. That can happen anywhere though. The ticket will be to find your people and choose your own family. There are gay-friendly areas like the Heights and Hillcrest and Eureka Springs. I would suggest trying to find some community on different web forums before you go!

Good luck to your family!

Kraken

Old 10-31-2009, 09:43 AM

218 posts, read 580,388 times
Sometimes I can't believe what I read on some of these threads. First, let me say, I have never even been to Arkansas. However, let's be fair. As a white person, there are places I can go in America and would HARDLY be welcomed. Somehow that is never criticized. It doesn't bother me - I just don't go there. That is also hatred and sometimes racism as well. However, I don't gripe about it nor slam all the minorities who might live there just because they don't like me. Same with some of the conservative-cultured towns in the south. They have their culture. They are entitled to their towns with lots of churches and old-fashioned morality. If you don't like it, don't move there. Just as they don't move to San Francisco and try to impose their morality. I don't understand why this is rocket science to so many people. Every town isn't for everybody - that is just common sense.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:43 PM

34 posts, read 73,285 times
If it's 1955 here maybe I'll get to see what the sixties were like in a few years. If I'm here, I'll visit anyways.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by image View Post
I hate to say it but homosexals are not welcomed here. I hate arkanasas! I want to movie to San Fransico!
I don't know where you live in AR but that is so toally not true for some areas, it is true in others. NO, AR isn't San Francisco and I am glad of that. Not because of straight versus gay, but because of all the problems in San Francisco...

Have you lived in San Francisco? If not, you may want to think about whether it is or isn't a good place to live, if you have, why did you leave?

I hate it when people make blanket statements...How can you say homosexuals are not welcome in Eureka Springs for an example, or Fayetteville? How about Hot Springs?

Nita

Old 11-16-2009, 12:07 PM

437 posts, read 930,134 times
You must understand that Arkansas is a christian state. and in NWA there is much racism. Little Rock may be your best choice but if you want the kids to have a good education consider Mountain Home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas