Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 06:53 AM

31 posts, read 134,710 times

Advertisements

I'm a single man living in chicago right now and thinking of possibly moving to arkansas in the near future,possibly Yellville or close to that area.I love country life and have lived in the country before.
I look white but am of hispanic origins and have heard some nasty things about southern states in general so I'm wondering if I would be trated fairly in a town like Yellville or nearabouts.
Wanna make sure I have a fair chance of that before I take further steps.
Any info welcome.

Old 07-30-2006, 02:05 PM

4 posts, read 48,741 times
Red face Racist? I don't think so!

Is Arkansas racist? Interesting question. Are all Yankees ignorant? Are all (pick your socio-economic/ethnic group) (pick your characteristic -- good or bad)? We are not a 'one size fits all' group. Some Arkansans are racist, while others are not. Some towns (particularly small towns) don't always welcome 'outsiders' with open arms. An 'outsider' might be someone who looks different, talks different, has different values, doesn't own a pickup truck, or (in some very old, close-knit communities) someone whose parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents weren't born in that particular town and buried in the local cemetary. At any rate, if you decide to relocate, you are in for major culture shock. My late husband was from Chicago -- came here in 1957 in the midst of the Central High crisis (look it up). He loved it here and decided to make Arkansas his home. We went back to visit a few times and I was totally amazed! The tiny houses, packed together, no lawns, cars parked on the streets, the traffic. EGAD! I couldn't imagine why anyone would want to live in a place like that. I'm used to houses with large lots or acreage. It takes me about 8 hours each week on a riding lawnmower to keep my place looking nice.

I guess the whole thing is a mindset -- it's what you grew up with, and what you are used to. Thinking about moving? Come down for a visit. Give Arkansas a chance. Buy a house. Buy a cow, a pig and a few chickens. Plant a garden. You'll either love it or hate it. But you should give it a chance.

Good luck!

Old 07-30-2006, 02:06 PM

33 posts, read 69,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy2674
I'm a single man living in chicago right now and thinking of possibly moving to arkansas in the near future,possibly Yellville or close to that area.I love country life and have lived in the country before.
I look white but am of hispanic origins and have heard some nasty things about southern states in general so I'm wondering if I would be trated fairly in a town like Yellville or nearabouts.
Wanna make sure I have a fair chance of that before I take further steps.
Any info welcome.
Why Yellville?? Do you need a job or are you wealthy enough to go by without having to have a job? If you're light skin, it will be less of an issue, especially if you live in bigger towns like Northwest Arkansas, Little Rock, etc.

Old 07-31-2006, 06:25 AM

Default good

Thanks to both of you.
I've lived in the country before so the lifestyle change isn't much of a problem.
I had done some research on arkansas and just fell in love with it.
Yeah I'm light skinned and don't look hispanic at all.
Money is no issue,and I've been researching on yellville or sorrounding areas,with the intent of buying a house/farm and some acres of land so I can live at peace with the animals.
I love country life.So mindset won't be a concern.

As long as there's running water and electricity that is.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Thanks to both of you.
I've lived in the country before so the lifestyle change isn't much of a problem.
I had done some research on arkansas and just fell in love with it.
Yeah I'm light skinned and don't look hispanic at all.
Money is no issue,and I've been researching on yellville or sorrounding areas,with the intent of buying a house/farm and some acres of land so I can live at peace with the animals.
I love country life.So mindset won't be a concern.

As long as there's running water and electricity that is.
Ok, I am curious....may I ask your age and your current resident? I know the reasons you metioned include animals, country, etc.....but what are the some other true reasons behind the moving of this single hispanic guy? What is/was your occupation?

You have metioned this small town called Yellville, but you might also look into Northwest Arkasnas (Fayetteville, Bentonville, etc. and the surrounding areas), especially the surrouding country areas near these cities, so you still have the animals, country, etc., but at the same time, still 15-45 minutes away from civilization.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:14 AM

44,Musician,chicago.
Just tired of city life,I'm a country boy at heart and know how to deal with animals and land.
I'll look into the towns you mentioned and thanks.

Old 08-03-2006, 02:40 PM

2 posts, read 26,415 times
Since you are a muscian you might check out Mountain View while you're checking. Lots of mountain music in that town.

Old 08-03-2006, 04:23 PM

Thanks dscogin,but reading certain stuff on the internet is scaring me away.
It's ironic that these "bible-belt" states would be so contaminated with racism and discrimination.
Even those who have answered me here have been clear about not worrying If I'm light-skinned,so they're admitting to that racism.
It's too bad too because the place is beautiful.
Oh well,que sera,sera....

Old 08-04-2006, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Thanks dscogin,but reading certain stuff on the internet is scaring me away.
It's ironic that these "bible-belt" states would be so contaminated with racism and discrimination.
Even those who have answered me here have been clear about not worrying If I'm light-skinned,so they're admitting to that racism.
It's too bad too because the place is beautiful.
Oh well,que sera,sera....
Let's get real, racism is everywhere in America. Are southern states the only racist states, no, but is it more so than other big cities, probably. People are not going to stare at you or stay away from you, but deep inside, some may feel "he is not one of us." With that being said, some are accepting, regardless of your race, and more so based on your character.

Like I've said before, you may want to check out towns around "bigger" cities such as Fayetteville, Rogers, Springdale, Bentonville, etc.

Have you consider other states where there are more mixing of races, such as rural areas around Dallas (housing is cheap), or maybe some other southern or east Texas locations?

Old 08-04-2006, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydata2006
Let's get real, racism is everywhere in America. Are southern states the only racist states, no, but is it more so than other big cities, probably. People are not going to stare at you or stay away from you, but deep inside, some may feel "he is not one of us." With that being said, some are accepting, regardless of your race, and more so based on your character.

Like I've said before, you may want to check out towns around "bigger" cities such as Fayetteville, Rogers, Springdale, Bentonville, etc.

Have you consider other states where there are more mixing of races, such as rural areas around Dallas (housing is cheap), or maybe some other southern or east Texas locations?
True that is,but I heard a governor of arkansas was extremely violent in the 70's not that long ago.I also heard there are racist movements there,with neo-nazi's around that area.
All I want is a place where my life won't be at risk,and I can have fun with the country life I so desperately want.

I keep hearing about fayetteville and rogers,so I'm going to be doing a little research on those areas as well.But the smaller towns are out for sure,too many potential problems associated with them.

And I do appreciate all the help I'm getting here everyone,so thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas