Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
Singapore 1 1.92%
Bangkok 15 28.85%
Manila 4 7.69%
Ho Chi Minh City 0 0%
Hong Kong 15 28.85%
Shanghai 1 1.92%
Seoul 3 5.77%
Osaka 0 0%
Tokyo 11 21.15%
Istanbul 2 3.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 06:45 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
transvestites/homosexuality - Yeah, pretty much confined to Thailand, and the Philippines as well. I've seen that in Indonesia too, although not to the extent of Thailand especially or the Philippines.

It does exist up here in Korea/Japan, but it's not out in the open, and seen publicly. In Thailand and the Philippines, people will regularly see homosexuality or transvestites in the malls and bars and such. Much more tolerated than anywhere else in Asia.
Keep in mind that the tourist redlight districts are where they all congregate so isn't typical of Thailand as a whole. Singapore's community is underground, I wonder if the sodomy laws are even really enforced. Living in those HDB flats privacy might be hard to come by. The Phils seem similar to Latin America socially, quite liberal laws but conservative Catholic population. Jakarta is quite cosmopolitan in that sense, and there are more hookers than in Malaysia. Singapore has had a history of prostitution and in fact is the only SE nation where prostitution is legal. It's ironic they're so strict about it compared to Thailand where it's illegal but tolerated, so much for the law meaning anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 08:09 PM

61 posts, read 114,711 times
What do you mean by liberal,an abstract concept?

Different people with different culture view it different way.

You can impose your mind on others.That's what we call liberal

Last edited by kingdavid2012; 07-23-2012 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: something wrong

Old 07-26-2012, 09:58 AM

250 posts, read 661,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Homosexuality is only really visible in Thailand. It's actually illegal in Singapore and Malaysia and hardly visible in Vietnam, Myanmar, Laos etc. of course there are gay people everywhere but I'm talking of visibility. Taiwan probably has the most tolerance of alternate sexualities, and its only east or southeast nation country to have legal brothels.

The so called safety net in Singapore is minimal at best. Overall Asia is pretty conservative, just about slightly different things than American conservatives. It's pretty pro business and pro family, but of course Christian fundamentalism is replaced by eastern religion.
Depends. Laws are all over the place in Asia. In Singapore and Hong Kong, some limited forms of prostitution are allowed, and Singapore is not very pro-life. However, it is significantly more difficult to obtain an abortion in Hong Kong than in the U.S. However, Singapore has capital punishment and Hong Kong does not, and the conformity in Singapore is strong, rivaling Japan's, although it is based on the government, rather than societal/ethnic norms.

Practically everywhere in Asia bans civilian gun ownership, and that is not truly a measure of conservatism as extreme conservatives such as Fascists would shun that for the security of the state.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:59 AM

250 posts, read 661,909 times
Quote:
Keep in mind that the tourist redlight districts are where they all congregate so isn't typical of Thailand as a whole. Singapore's community is underground, I wonder if the sodomy laws are even really enforced. Living in those HDB flats privacy might be hard to come by. The Phils seem similar to Latin America socially, quite liberal laws but conservative Catholic population. Jakarta is quite cosmopolitan in that sense, and there are more hookers than in Malaysia. Singapore has had a history of prostitution and in fact is the only SE nation where prostitution is legal. It's ironic they're so strict about it compared to Thailand where it's illegal but tolerated, so much for the law meaning anything.
It is illegal to be seen naked in an HDB flat in Singapore.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:15 PM

23,543 posts, read 24,041,250 times
I'd say Hong Kong.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:39 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,116,942 times
Quote:
Well Homosexual/gays/lesbian is well accepted in the Philippines already although same gender marriages is not allowed or transgender like "legality" like other countries in Canada and USA etc. that granted transgender. I think in Thailand they considered transgender "legal", male to female transgender are more common in Thailand.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:43 PM

3,187 posts, read 4,589,417 times
I think the term 'liberal' can only really be applied to Asia in an economic non-interventionist sense, I'd vote for HK on that measure. I can't think of a truly socially liberal city in Asia.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:03 AM

1,946 posts, read 2,565,358 times
Istanbul & Hong Kong

Old 08-14-2012, 12:09 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Homosexuality is only really visible in Thailand.
If we're speaking about all of Asia, then that is incorrect. You have to mention Turkey for this. Homosexuality has been "legal" in Turkey since 1852. In the smaller cities, of course it's kind of like other places where it is viewed as very bad. If you go to a place like Istanbul though? There's openly gay clubs in many places, gay bath houses, etc. I know an openly gay couple that lives in Istanbul too. They actually took me to a openly gay bar there, even though I'm straight. There was something hilarious about the place they wanted me to see. It was a good time and PACKED AS HELL. Hell, even at the Turkish bath, this 50 year old guy tried to make a pass at me and had no reservations about it.

You can't serve in the military if you're openly gay, and gay marriage is not legal there, but you will not get in trouble for being openly gay and/or having gay sex. The older people might be more against it, but Istanbul is increasingly young and I find a lot of them pretty open. There's no anti discrimination laws with homosexuality there even though it's legal, so there's that, but the society in the large cities are pretty open about it. They also have a pride parade every year in Taksim Square that attracted 10,000-30,000 this year.

Compared to other places though? Homosexuality has been legal there longer than most places in the world. I kind of view them like the US. They are secular, but religious--ish sometimes meaning many don't go to church (or the mosque/synagogue) all the time, but every once in awhile they do. The ones who do, just like the US, are the more religious and usually more against homosexuality. Many others don't care in the big cities it seems.

Thailand is definitely not the only place in Asia where it's visible. Just google "Gay istanbul" and you'll see a lot of results.

Last edited by marothisu; 08-14-2012 at 12:17 AM..

Old 08-14-2012, 09:13 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
True but I see Istanbul as the most European city culturally (geographically it's part European). I guess I was comparing Bangkok to cities like Singapore and Seoul, which in some ways still aren't that progressive relating to homosexuals (particularly Singapore).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia