Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 07:41 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,586,818 times

Advertisements

I've seen this longer individual nail thing a few times, but I'm not sure why. And yes I've noticed (at least among my own family) that East Asians have a habit of picking their noses with their pinkies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 07:43 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
I've seen this longer individual nail thing a few times, but I'm not sure why. And yes I've noticed (at least among my own family) that East Asians have a habit of picking their noses with their pinkies.
As opposed to the western method of using your index finger?

Old 01-13-2013, 08:00 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,586,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
As opposed to the western method of using your index finger?
True. There is also a tendency for their pinkie to remain in the nose for an extended period of time.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:21 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
True. There is also a tendency for their pinkie to remain in the nose for an extended period of time.
Travelling in Asia I also know that they're not shy about doing it in public.

Everyone picks their nose, I mean boogers don't just come out by themselves. If I must do it in public I'll try to do it so nobody sees me or cover my face but in many countries it's no big deal.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:32 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Do Arabs pick their nose with their right hand, or their left? It must be a reall problem, since their left hand is already contaminated, and they have to put their right hand into the mansaf. Even through the miracle of Google, I can't find an answer to this question. I found two sites where the question is raised, but never answered.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-14-2013 at 08:42 AM..

Old 01-14-2013, 07:42 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,531,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Why is it that I see many Asian men with extremely long fingernails? And it usually isn't that all of their fingernails are long, usually I see many Asian men with long pinkie nails and either a long thumbnail or long index finger nail while the others are trimmed. What gives?

I also noticed this was common with Asian male foreign students. I heard that this was simply so that they could more easily pick their nose and ears, is that true? As an Asian American myself, I just find the practice of growing select long fingernails a little disturbing and pretty vile.
and probably also to scratch their itchy balls and ass without having to dig inside their pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Do Arabs pick their nose with their right hand, or their left? It must be a reall problem, since their left hand is already contaminated, and they have to put their right hand into the mansaf. Even through the miracle of Google, I can't find an answer to this question. I found two sites where the question is raised, but never answered.
most likely they're not concerned with contamination at that point.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:38 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
I've seen a number of Vietnamese and immigrant/working-class Chinese folks that do that. I had a Vietnamese-American ex who had a long right pinkie nail while all of her others were shorter; never asked her about it.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:52 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,735 times
I have noticed some men in China that have that long finger nail in the little finger. I find it quite gross because it seems like there is only one use for it.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 05-11-2013 at 01:12 AM..

Old 05-11-2013, 01:02 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Travelling in Asia I also know that they're not shy about doing it in public.

Everyone picks their nose, I mean boogers don't just come out by themselves. If I must do it in public I'll try to do it so nobody sees me or cover my face but in many countries it's no big deal.
I so agree with you. I am an Asian myself and it bothers me when I see people picking their nose. Once, my husband and I went to the Information Centre in a mall in China to page our daughter. There were two female receptionists. One was talking to us while the other one was just looking and listening to us. While she was looking at us, her little finger was inside her nose and she was removing something. She was just like in her late 20's. I never understand why people especially a young woman would do that in public.

Of course everyone picks their nose but it's something to be done inside the bathroom privately and not for people to see.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:31 PM

1,754 posts, read 8,112,511 times
It's gross & they should picks their nose at least with tissue and not in public area. It is disgusting. Some men use it also those long nail as cotton buds to clean their ears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia