Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 11:12 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
My cousin, Singaporean, is over 190cm but he's exceptional. My grandfather was nearly 6 feet which was actually really tall for a Singaporean born in the 1920s. Unfortunately my mother was the shortest in the family and I'm 5'9". My other grandfather, my dad's dad, is 5'2".
I'm 99.9% white, with 1/4 of that being German, and I'm stuck being a tiny 167cm. For most Asians I have come across here in my state, and there's loads from Vietnam, Korea, and China, I'm at or below their average male height . I've ridden in a Ford Ka before, and found it to be roomy enough lol!

Old 03-31-2014, 02:02 AM

318 posts, read 638,633 times
I remember I went to a Filipino funeral in Daly City, California because my Filipino friend's mother passed away from colorectal cancer. At 6 foot 1, I towered over EVERYBODY there. I felt like Andre The Giant standing next to those little short Malays/Austronesians.

I never feel like Andre The Giant when I am in a large crowd of White Americans like Oktoberfest or St. Patrick's Day for example, because I see plenty of White guys there who are at least 6 foot 1 like me or even taller.

Last edited by Alexander Rusev; 03-31-2014 at 02:20 AM..

Old 03-31-2014, 03:03 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Rusev View Post
I remember I went to a Filipino funeral in Daly City, California because my Filipino friend's mother passed away from colorectal cancer. At 6 foot 1, I towered over EVERYBODY there. I felt like Andre The Giant standing next to those little short Malays/Austronesians.

I never feel like Andre The Giant when I am in a large crowd of White Americans like Oktoberfest or St. Patrick's Day for example, because I see plenty of White guys there who are at least 6 foot 1 like me or even taller.
Filipinos along with Indonesians and Vietnamese are the shortest Asian nationality now.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:13 AM

318 posts, read 638,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Filipinos along with Indonesians and Vietnamese are the shortest Asian nationality now.
Being 6 foot 1 in Philippines would be the equivalent of being 7 foot 1 in The United States.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Rusev View Post
Being 6 foot 1 in Philippines would be the equivalent of being 7 foot 1 in The United States.
Yeah I'm only 5'9" and when i went to Vietnam I meet a handful of people taller than me, all in Hanoi. And I saw thousands.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:47 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Here in Guangzhou, I see guys that are taller than me on the metro regularly, and I'm 6'2. About once or twice a week, I see a woman who's taller than me, too.

This said, though, 97% of the people I encounter every day are noticeably shorter than me. I just live in a city of 13+ million people

Old 03-31-2014, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Here in Guangzhou, I see guys that are taller than me on the metro regularly, and I'm 6'2. About once or twice a week, I see a woman who's taller than me, too.

This said, though, 97% of the people I encounter every day are noticeably shorter than me. I just live in a city of 13+ million people
I noticed people in Beijing were considerably taller than those in Hong Kong. Most young men seemed at least my height (5'9") and many were taller, I felt a bit short. In Hong Kong I felt pretty tall. Most of the very tall Chinese women (we're talking 6 foot plus) I've met, and there've been fewer than I can count on my hands, have been from northern China.

Any stats on average height of Chinese seem very outdated. The older generation is much shorter, as is cases in countries where prosperity has increased greatly. The previous generation of Chinese, for instance, only occasionally had the luxury of eating meat.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:01 PM

69 posts, read 85,539 times
People from Korea and Northern parts of China are taller. I have ever been to Beijing and Tianjin, I noticed the people from Beijing and Tianjin were tall. When I was at Beijing and Tianjin, I felt like I am the only short one because the people from those two places were tall. Even my father's friend from Tianjin was pretty tall, his height is 1.88 m. Many Koreans that I noticed at Singapore were pretty tall.

But the story is different when I went to the Southern parts of China, I noticed the people were pretty short and I was slightly taller than average compared to the people there. When I was at Shenzhen, I noticed the people there were pretty short and I am slightly taller than them. But still, they not as short as people here in Indonesia.

Most people in where I live (Indonesia) are pretty short, but the younger generations are noticeably taller than the older generations although they are still shorter compared to people from Korea and Northern parts of China. I am taller than average here in Indonesia, especially compared to the older generations. I am a Chinese ethnic girl from Indonesia and I am not that tall (my height is only 1.63 m) which is not surprising because my ancestors were from the Southern parts of China (my ancestors came from Fujian on the maternal side and Hainan on the paternal side).

Japanese are not that tall, when I was at Tokyo I felt like I am slightly taller than average. Although they are slightly taller compared to the people here in Indonesia.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:55 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,927 times
all these big & tall asians over 6 ft tall are not the natural size & weight for their ethnicity

they look abnormal in my opinion, because they were never like that until recently

it probably has something to do with the food and the lifestyle

people these days have a much easier lifestyle than before, lots of food and not as much strenuous labor, people rarely starve from malnutrition or famine like the old days

too much food and easy living

back in my parents generation, you would be lucky to have a bowl of rice and some vegetables and maybe some rodent meat, they ate the mice from the rice fields, thats nothing in comparison to what people have to eat now

even a cat would be used for the family meal if they could get one, I remember my mother cooking a cat and making a stew / soup with it.

Last edited by mr bolo; 06-28-2016 at 06:09 PM..

Old 06-28-2016, 08:15 PM

828 posts, read 691,439 times
The thing I miss most about living in Asia is being average height. Back in the US, I'm short again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia