Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 08:36 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times

Advertisements

The Mongols tend to be taller. But I noticed on Taiwan that the (adult) children of the elite are tall and robust. I think if Asians are well-fed, they grow taller. A study was done on Japanese-Americans and the young generations of Japanese in Japan, the post-WWII generation. It was reported some had grown to tall for their houses, It was determined that better, or different, nutrition made the difference.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:15 PM

43 posts, read 69,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
Asians are often stereotyped as being shorter than other groups i.e. Europeans and Africans and for some asian groups i've found that to be true on the most part, most Filipinos are quite short. However at least in North America i've noticed that the 1st generation asian North Americans are often not too dissimilar in height from their non-asian counter-parts especially the Chinese, koreans as well.

I guess i would chalk that up to improved diet? So is it just a stereotype that Asians are shorter? if not what do you think the basis for a shorter height is?
mexicans are shorter...

Old 06-29-2016, 10:03 PM

6 posts, read 5,964 times
Sometimes it depends on the food we consume and the air we breathe,,,also what happening in our mind....

Old 07-01-2016, 09:06 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,710,189 times
I have not seen this among Indian dependent. I don't think first generation south Asian (Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi) are any taller than the native Indians or their parents

Old 07-03-2016, 06:13 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,720,915 times
People are being ridiculous here.

So just because an Vietnamese is 162cm on average doesn't mean "Asians" are all that short. It is like the average height of a guy from Portugal doesn't represent the entire Europe. People in northern Asia are taller. Koreans and northern Chinese are probably 175 cm on average for a man. Guangdong, guangxi in south China are 167/168 on average. There is a huge difference.

I am about 175 and feel average in Shanghai. I feel average in very multicultural Toronto too. In Suchuan, China I felt taller than average. I also felt slightly taller than average in Argentina too, where most guys are white.

Also nutrition plays a part. People in more developed regions of Asia are taller.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:40 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,440,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The Mongols tend to be taller. But I noticed on Taiwan that the (adult) children of the elite are tall and robust. I think if Asians are well-fed, they grow taller. A study was done on Japanese-Americans and the young generations of Japanese in Japan, the post-WWII generation. It was reported some had grown to tall for their houses, It was determined that better, or different, nutrition made the difference.
Elite? Taiwan doesn't have an elite class, there are some filthy rich people (ok maybe a lot) and there are also quite a few poor people, but like 80-90% of the population more or less share the same middle class background.

And I definitely don't find the richest kids to be the tallest. Some rich kids are short and some normal or poorer kids are really tall. It's all about genes and diet, like whose parents are taller or who drank more milk growing up.

Old 07-03-2016, 03:09 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,049,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Elite? Taiwan doesn't have an elite class, there are some filthy rich people (ok maybe a lot) and there are also quite a few poor people, but like 80-90% of the population more or less share the same middle class background.

And I definitely don't find the richest kids to be the tallest. Some rich kids are short and some normal or poorer kids are really tall. It's all about genes and diet, like whose parents are taller or who drank more milk growing up.
I think Moderator cut: English only are probably taller than Moderator cut: English only on average, but it is only about the average.
In China those from Fujian are shorter than average. The tallest are from the north and northeast.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-03-2016 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: Occasionally there is no choice but to use nob-English, this is not one of those times

Old 07-03-2016, 07:07 PM

653 posts, read 743,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
Asians are often stereotyped as being shorter than other groups i.e. Europeans and Africans and for some asian groups i've found that to be true on the most part, most Filipinos are quite short. However at least in North America i've noticed that the 1st generation asian North Americans are often not too dissimilar in height from their non-asian counter-parts especially the Chinese, koreans as well.

I guess i would chalk that up to improved diet? So is it just a stereotype that Asians are shorter? if not what do you think the basis for a shorter height is?
It is due to diet. I am nearly one and a half feet taller than both my parents and the difference was that i had access to meat, milk and cheese during my childhood, while my parents did not have access during their childhood.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:16 PM

1,087 posts, read 782,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
It is due to diet. I am nearly one and a half feet taller than both my parents and the difference was that i had access to meat, milk and cheese during my childhood, while my parents did not have access during their childhood.
Those things are unhealthy when consumed too much. They won't make people grow taller; they are, however, known to cause overweightness, heart diseases, diabetes ... Human heights are natural. Some are taller; some are shorter.

Here, some German went shopping in a grocery store in ShenZhen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hpeBDbxYV0

Old 07-03-2016, 10:49 PM

280 posts, read 339,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
People are being ridiculous here.

So just because an Vietnamese is 162cm on average doesn't mean "Asians" are all that short. It is like the average height of a guy from Portugal doesn't represent the entire Europe. People in northern Asia are taller. Koreans and northern Chinese are probably 175 cm on average for a man. Guangdong, guangxi in south China are 167/168 on average. There is a huge difference.

I am about 175 and feel average in Shanghai. I feel average in very multicultural Toronto too. In Suchuan, China I felt taller than average. I also felt slightly taller than average in Argentina too, where most guys are white.

Also nutrition plays a part. People in more developed regions of Asia are taller.
Koreans and Northern Chinese averages sound about right. I think there was a Chinese survey once, not sure if measured of not a few years back that had average heights by province:

Infographic: Average heights of Chinese men and women by province: Shanghaiist

Shandong, Beijing and Heilongjiang all had heights 175cm average or a smidgen over. I'd imagine South Koreans would be similar or probably a smidge shorter...173-174cm average.

Genetics, Diet and Environment are probably the biggest three pull factors of height, but diet may be overestimated unless you were severely lacking in nutrition.

When you look at height patterns the tallest seem to live in dry climates and generally colder but not frigid environments, say winters near zero or slightly below zero with few humid months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia