Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 02:16 PM

580 posts, read 1,180,829 times

Advertisements

What cities in Asia left left you disappointed? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 06:33 AM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,189 times
Jakarta. A squalid dump.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:53 AM

23,521 posts, read 24,006,421 times
Bangkok, crowded, hot and humid.
Guangzhou, potential safety issues

Old 05-12-2013, 01:29 PM

56 posts, read 119,045 times
Hm.
My benchmark city is Tokyo which I visit every year.
Now compare Cairo to Tokyo and you have answer.
But I guess Kabul is really disapponting as I will be killed on my first day of visit.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:38 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfu View Post
Hm.
But I guess Kabul is really disapponting as I will be killed on my first day of visit.
Dude, Cairo is not Asia. Everybody knows that Asia officially begins at the Sinai Peninsula.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:45 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,753,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfu View Post
Hm.
I spent a week in Cairo. People say drivers in China are crazy...oh they should visit Cairo.
Honestly it's hard to see any car without damage there.

The corruption there is also amazing. Everyone asks for cash.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:41 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Colombo, Sri Lanka - didn't feel like much was happening there, not that much to see. Lacks some of the typical attractions of an Asian city like markets, shops, a lot of delicious food. Kandy was more interesting.

Ho Chi Minh City/Saigon, Vietnam - Not a bad city, but felt smaller than it's population would suggest. Strangely sterile in parts, infested with cyclo touts and choked by traffic. Many of the attractions, like the museums, were just kind of badly run and boring.

Fuzhou, China - Anycity China...lacks history. Head to smaller, but more eclectic, quirky Xiamen instead.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:29 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Colombo, Sri Lanka - didn't feel like much was happening there, not that much to see. Lacks some of the typical attractions of an Asian city like markets, shops, a lot of delicious food. Kandy was more interesting.
I'd agree with this. I visited Sri Lanka and gave myself two weeks to see the country. I could have halved that easily, and spent more time somewhere else. Not that Sri Lanka was bad, it certainly wasn't. But, it wasn't easy to get around the city, and all the taxis and such always way overcharged the foreigner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Jakarta. A squalid dump.
Yeah, my same feeling. I had great fun in Jakarta, it's a really fun city, for sure. But, wow, so few other redeeming factors. If it wasn't fun, i.e. nightlife and such, it would have been really miserable.

I just remember a stench that was just in all of the streets...and granted it's been about a decade since I was there, but I arrived several years after the many incidents of locals burning down Chinese businesses and such, and it seemed strange they'd just leave those businesses destroyed and sitting there years later, without any interest or attempt to clean things up a bit. Actually, everything was kinda like that. Just a complete lack of 'care'.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:45 PM

21 posts, read 61,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Head to smaller, but more eclectic, quirky Xiamen instead.
Please tell me more. I am interested in China but prefer coastal cities, and so many Chinese large cities are landlocked. What makes Xiamen 'quirky and eclectic'?

To answer the OP's question: Bangkok. Did not enjoy it much at all because of the constant traffic problems.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:04 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by landgabriel View Post
Please tell me more. I am interested in China but prefer coastal cities, and so many Chinese large cities are landlocked. What makes Xiamen 'quirky and eclectic'?

To answer the OP's question: Bangkok. Did not enjoy it much at all because of the constant traffic problems.
I'm in the processing of uploading some of my photos from China online. What I loved about Xiamen is it has an old Chinese village feel, a bit like Lijiang or Dali, has a well preserved old quarter, includes Gulangyu, a very pleasant island and former foreign enclave just off the coast, is clean, presentable and has one of the highest GDP's per capita in China. Fuzhou lacks character, attractions...most tourists to Fujian see Xiamen, the Hakka tulous and Wuyishan. I think Quanzhou offers more than Fuzhou as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia