U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-05-2013, 08:44 PM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,146,550 times
Reputation: 219

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
the first post you made here was about Jakarta vs Manila, and most of your posts after that have been comparing Jakarta to Manila or Indonesia to the Philippines, so just expect that anytime you say anything about Manila or the Philippines, people are going to think you're comparing it to Jakarta or Indonesia, which you are. And those videos are nice, but I dont see anything nicer than what I posted. Jakarta is a dump like Manila is a dump, but the nice areas dont beat Manila's nice areas
well if you want to compare it that badly, there's always that threat specially made for the topic's comeback. As for what i think, i don't think that BGC is any better than what i've seen in Jakarta CBD but obviously are better than the old-looking Makati. However it is completely up to you to decide which is better for you as it doesn't bother me alot, and no Jakarta is not a dump (well atleast not entirely) perhaps it is more like that to you to make it easier to say that Manila isn't a dump.

this is ridiculos lol comparing both nice area? how so? all city have nice area and if you haven't been to the nice area in Jakarta then it is unconclusive to instantly say Manila's better. It is important for you to see your city topping the great list?

Lastly i wouldn't expect people would be so aggresive about Manila being a dump in a thread saying "which city", and i don't think i was wrong both here and back in the Jakarta vs Manila thread, because i was playing my role as the representative in there since there are absolutely no one here that would do it, if i didn't do it who else would? So because of several gathered data and opinion that i've posted therel, it matters alot if i didn't like Manila?

Manila wouldn't be here if i had been to Dhaka or Karachi, but i wouldn't be interested in doing so, and thust that left the horrible city experience to be Manila and there's nothing you can do, and im not the only one who hates it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
^ lol the video didn't show the slums, obviously
he did ask for the first world video not slums video, so i presume it would be the most developed area of the city, which is the downtown area of the city.

well speaking of sluims, atleast Jakarta slum isn't that manifesting and appealing that a slum wall needs to be erected, and also i wonder why did that Manila video didn't have slums on it?

Last edited by Goshio22; 10-05-2013 at 08:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-06-2013, 09:36 AM
 
Location: VA
1,197 posts, read 1,603,076 times
Reputation: 1070
Jakarta

I was born there but coming back after two decades away, being hit full force with the humidity and the awful traffic was just...ugggh. I wouldn't be able to make my way around the city if my parents weren't the ones doing the navigating for me, even after 20+ years away they can still make their way around the city with no issues. The food is awesome though, even better street food than Singapore imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2013, 10:42 AM
 
Location: In the heights
22,143 posts, read 23,668,851 times
Reputation: 11622
Manila was really disappointing. Pretty amazing squalor there in large parts and the parts the wealthy seemed to be secluding themselves were trying to go as far the opposite end by going hyper sterile. Food in general was mostly mediocre in quality, and though tapsilog and sinigang could be great if made well, it seemed like the cuisine is simply less interesting and diverse than other southeast asian countries. I enjoyed the fruits (as I do in any tropical country). It was sort of eye opening to see such widespread and accepted racial stratification and the weird deification of people even remotely mestizo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2013, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,146,550 times
Reputation: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Johor Bahru. Absolutely nothing to see when we went there.

Kuala Lumpur -- very car-centric for an Asian city. Also does not seem to have a lot of attractions. Was expecting a city at the same level as Bangkok, but just not up to that level. Singapore is better when it comes to modern amenities while Penang has more charm.
well KL is medium sized city compared to Bangkok, the city centre is definitely more sterile than Bangkok... but KL is pretty boring for a city, the nightlife is so-so (i was expecting more from Jalan Changkat) and there's not much exploring to do... the museum and the attraction it have is terrible

The Petronas and KLCC complex is nice, i enjoy my walk around KLCC park though it didn't really have interesting stuff around there.... but overall the food there is great, and few nice shopping centres to burn my time

i also found Melaka to be extremely boring which pretty much have NOTHING except few minor historical stuff with the old town area and nightmarket that literary sells the same stuff all over the place, Penang definitely has alot more to offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
Jakarta

I was born there but coming back after two decades away, being hit full force with the humidity and the awful traffic was just...ugggh. I wouldn't be able to make my way around the city if my parents weren't the ones doing the navigating for me, even after 20+ years away they can still make their way around the city with no issues. The food is awesome though, even better street food than Singapore imo.
for me Indonesian city that is a big dissapointment is Medan, for a city of its size (2 million) you would actually expect more... but well the city does not posses any charm or sort of.... a concrete jungle with poor amneties.... it does have pretty colonial buildings but most are run down

Last edited by Goshio22; 10-06-2013 at 12:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2013, 05:03 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,003,989 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
well if you want to compare it that badly, there's always that threat specially made for the topic's comeback. As for what i think, i don't think that BGC is any better than what i've seen in Jakarta CBD but obviously are better than the old-looking Makati. However it is completely up to you to decide which is better for you as it doesn't bother me alot, and no Jakarta is not a dump (well atleast not entirely) perhaps it is more like that to you to make it easier to say that Manila isn't a dump.

this is ridiculos lol comparing both nice area? how so? all city have nice area and if you haven't been to the nice area in Jakarta then it is unconclusive to instantly say Manila's better. It is important for you to see your city topping the great list?

Lastly i wouldn't expect people would be so aggresive about Manila being a dump in a thread saying "which city", and i don't think i was wrong both here and back in the Jakarta vs Manila thread, because i was playing my role as the representative in there since there are absolutely no one here that would do it, if i didn't do it who else would? So because of several gathered data and opinion that i've posted therel, it matters alot if i didn't like Manila?

Manila wouldn't be here if i had been to Dhaka or Karachi, but i wouldn't be interested in doing so, and thust that left the horrible city experience to be Manila and there's nothing you can do, and im not the only one who hates it.



he did ask for the first world video not slums video, so i presume it would be the most developed area of the city, which is the downtown area of the city.

well speaking of sluims, atleast Jakarta slum isn't that manifesting and appealing that a slum wall needs to be erected, and also i wonder why did that Manila video didn't have slums on it?
So you're saying that Jakarta only has one area that is 1st world? Just the CBD. Then that means that the rest of the city is a dump. I admit that most of Manila is a dump, it's a third world city. But there are a few areas that are completely 1st world, I circled them in green on the map. There are other individual neighborhoods throughout the metro that are nice, but I'm focusing on larger areas.



The circle at the top is Eastwood City & Ortigas
Eastwood



Ortigas



The circle in the middle is Makati & BGC
Makati



BGC (a work in progress)



The circle at the bottom in Alabang. It's more suburban sprawl, not much to see, but it's a large area that's nice



And I didn't include Downtown Manila because it cannot be considered 1st world, but it still looks nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2013, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,248,336 times
Reputation: 2833
^ suburban sprawl in the Philippines, interesting lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2013, 07:58 PM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,146,550 times
Reputation: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
So you're saying that Jakarta only has one area that is 1st world? Just the CBD. Then that means that the rest of the city is a dump. I admit that most of Manila is a dump, it's a third world city. But there are a few areas that are completely 1st world, I circled them in green on the map. There are other individual neighborhoods throughout the metro that are nice, but I'm focusing on larger areas.



The circle at the top is Eastwood City & Ortigas
Eastwood



Ortigas



The circle in the middle is Makati & BGC
Makati



BGC (a work in progress)



The circle at the bottom in Alabang. It's more suburban sprawl, not much to see, but it's a large area that's nice



And I didn't include Downtown Manila because it cannot be considered 1st world, but it still looks nice
i didn't say Jakarta's cbd is first world, i would never consider Manila, Jakarta and even Bangkok to be first world... i wonder what is your real definition of 1st world, but those area is absolutely nothing special if you compare it with other parts of Jakarta or the large dump you are saying, im actually sure that the city have everything that can easily match Manila's gated and sterile rich quarter.

it doesn't change the fact that to me the whole city is a large disapointment and a dump (which according to many travel blog that it is), those green area is just small part of the entire city. And due to many other several factors even in those green area you wouldn't be able to get rid of the 3rd world ambience.

And it can't change the fact that it have Asia's worst airport

Last edited by Goshio22; 10-06-2013 at 08:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2013, 08:46 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,003,989 times
Reputation: 1798
I never said that Manila as a whole is 1st world. In fact, I said that it's definitely 3rd world. But I'm saying that there are chunks of the city (which I mentioned above) that are 1st world in every way. They are not just gated neighborhoods because there are gated neighborhoods throughout the metro that I didn't include because I'm talking about larger areas. The areas I highlighted include CBDs, residential areas, and recreation/leisure areas; they're not little gated communities. I asked you to show me the parts of Jakarta that are 1st world, and you posted videos of the CBD. If you mean that that's the only large chunk of Jakarta that is 1st world, then Manila has more 1st world areas because there's Makati, Ortigas, Eastwood, Alabang, and BGC. So if you're saying that Jakarta's CBD is 1st world and the rest of the city is not, we can conclude that the rest of the city is a dump, just like the rest of Manila that I didn't mention is a dump (although not every single part, just generalizing)

And the blogs I've seen comparing Jakarta to Manila usually say that they're the same, sometimes they'll say that Jakarta is worse, and a few times they'll say that Manila is worse. So I don't know how Manila came be a dump, but somehow Jakarta isn't a dump. If Manila is a dump, then Jakarta is a dump and vice versa.

Last edited by Smtchll; 10-06-2013 at 09:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2013, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
Reputation: 9483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
And the blogs I've seen comparing Jakarta to Manila usually say that they're the same, sometimes they'll say that Jakarta is worse, and a few times they'll say that Manila is worse. So I don't know how Manila came be a dump, but somehow Jakarta isn't a dump. If Manila is a dump, then Jakarta is a dump and vice versa.
I would agree. Jakarta and Manila are two of the most similar cities I've seen. BOTH have beautiful wealthy areas and tons of squalor as well.

Unfortunately, as a traveler, most travelers see the squalor of both cities quite overwhelmingly. It's only if you have some money when you come in, or know others who have money, that you are suddenly 'the wealthy side' and see all the money in those two cities.

Which is completely different than say 'Tokyo' or 'Hong Kong' where you see the money of the city all over the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2013, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,146,550 times
Reputation: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I never said that Manila as a whole is 1st world. In fact, I said that it's definitely 3rd world. But I'm saying that there are chunks of the city (which I mentioned above) that are 1st world in every way. They are not just gated neighborhoods because there are gated neighborhoods throughout the metro that I didn't include because I'm talking about larger areas. The areas I highlighted include CBDs, residential areas, and recreation/leisure areas; they're not little gated communities. I asked you to show me the parts of Jakarta that are 1st world, and you posted videos of the CBD. If you mean that that's the only large chunk of Jakarta that is 1st world, then Manila has more 1st world areas because there's Makati, Ortigas, Eastwood, Alabang, and BGC. So if you're saying that Jakarta's CBD is 1st world and the rest of the city is not, we can conclude that the rest of the city is a dump, just like the rest of Manila that I didn't mention is a dump (although not every single part, just generalizing)

And the blogs I've seen comparing Jakarta to Manila usually say that they're the same, sometimes they'll say that Jakarta is worse, and a few times they'll say that Manila is worse. So I don't know how Manila came be a dump, but somehow Jakarta isn't a dump. If Manila is a dump, then Jakarta is a dump and vice versa.
Well the size of the cbd of Jakarta is scattered, the cbd compromise 3 different areas named SCBD, Thamrin Avenue, and Kuningan.. the area it covered is larger than Makati and BGC combined, well anyway the point is, i say Manila is a dump and now you've been comparing it with Jakarta and you say the rest of the city being dump though you've never exactly went there, what is exactly your point?

you don't like the fact that i said Manila being a dumper than Jakarta, so you want to prove the world that its a less ****hole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I would agree. Jakarta and Manila are two of the most similar cities I've seen. BOTH have beautiful wealthy areas and tons of squalor as well.

Unfortunately, as a traveler, most travelers see the squalor of both cities quite overwhelmingly. It's only if you have some money when you come in, or know others who have money, that you are suddenly 'the wealthy side' and see all the money in those two cities.

Which is completely different than say 'Tokyo' or 'Hong Kong' where you see the money of the city all over the place.
define similar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top