Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 03:35 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,654,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I notice Indonesia cuisine features quite a bit of sweet soy sauce, something which it shares with Southern Chinese. Balinese food is delicious, there should be more of it in Australia. Despite so many Aussies going to Bali it seems hardly any Balinese migrate to Australia though.

I see it as distinctly Malaysian-Singaporean, as I think it was largely modified in Malaysia and Singapore. Many foreigners can't get enough of it, I remember talking to one Australian lady who said she loved it so much she ate it all the time and it prevented her from trying a lot of the other dishes. According to wikipedia: It is listed at number 45 on World's 50 most delicious foods complied by CNN Go in 2011.[1]. Of course not everything goes ga ga over it, but for something as simple as flavoured rice it sure is delicious.
Yes lots of things here use thick rich sweet soysauce, one of the most famous product in kecap bango, and yes it is very likely Chinese influenced but i dunno for sure:

http://www.toko-juara.com/wp-content...02/0314007.jpg

A lot of the expat who marries Balinese lived in Bali, only few of them actually migrated and lived in Australia.

Yeah it might be listed on top 50 but i just don't like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 03:51 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Yes lots of things here use thick rich sweet soysauce, one of the most famous product in kecap bango, and yes it is very likely Chinese influenced but i dunno for sure:

http://www.toko-juara.com/wp-content...02/0314007.jpg

A lot of the expat who marries Balinese lived in Bali, only few of them actually migrated and lived in Australia.

Yeah it might be listed on top 50 but i just don't like it.
Yeah, quite a few Aussies live in Bali. I can see why: it's cheap, good food, friendly folks, laid back.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:27 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Well there are quite a few Malaysian restaurants in Melbourne, and I know several that are regularly packed by both Asian and non-Asian diners. People who visit Malaysia - and there are many - frequently rave about the food. As do many 'foodies.' Well if you didn't like it, you either had bad food there or it's just not to your liking. But many disagree with you...have you had a good chicken rice or chicken curry? Malaysian food is one of the least strange and tastiest out there, so no, that's definitely not the reason here.
I'm not saying Malaysian cuisine is bad--I am saying that Thai cuisine is better. Both have been quite good in my experience, but I have found Thai cuisine more varied and often better. I've had great Malaysian cuisine--I've had better Thai.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:51 AM

81 posts, read 246,651 times
i wonder if china is a much smaller country with less inhabitants, would the cuisine still be as popular as it is today?

Old 04-22-2014, 08:52 AM

81 posts, read 246,651 times
postman is biased when it comes to malaysian cuisine

Old 04-22-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm not saying Malaysian cuisine is bad--I am saying that Thai cuisine is better. Both have been quite good in my experience, but I have found Thai cuisine more varied and often better. I've had great Malaysian cuisine--I've had better Thai.
They're just different, although similar. I prefer Malaysian probably a little more because it's a little more diverse and has a few Indian-influenced dishes you can't find in Thai (I mean really Indian food) but overall it's almost a dead heat. Either way, those who KNOW hold Malaysian food in very high regard, at least on equal pegging with Thai. But everyone has their own opinion, no point arguing about subjective opinions any longer.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susu Enrico View Post
postman is biased when it comes to malaysian cuisine
A bit yeah, when someone starts suggesting that Malaysian food is popular because it's not good I just have to tell them that's far far from the reason. I think almost everyone in the Asia forum is biased to some degree.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:00 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,546,776 times
Quote:
A bit yeah, when someone starts suggesting that Malaysian food is popular because it's not good I just have to tell them that's far far from the reason. I think almost everyone in the Asia forum is biased to some degree.
Nobody is biased, eh!? Everybody loves their own home cooking. It's partly because that's what you know more, and partly because you've had the best of your region's cooking. You can't expect someone to change their tastes overnight.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
Nobody is biased, eh!? Everybody loves their own home cooking. It's partly because that's what you know more, and partly because you've had the best of your region's cooking. You can't expect someone to change their tastes overnight.
Actually while I've always liked some dishes, as a kid I didn't like a lot of Asian food and my tastes were a lot more fussy. At least I've broadened my palette a lot now.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:17 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Yes, I prefer Hong Kong foodie scene to Singapore, and of course KL. Some may disagree with me, but I am not saying everyone should have the same taste. Just to let you know that many have other preferences that are not the same as yours.
Big disagree here. No way Hong Kong food scene is better than Singapore's. Way more diverse in Singapore. Yes Hong Kong has great Chinese food.....but so does Singapore. Yes there are some sushi places, but who doesnt have that. And Yes there are some good Indian places, but Singapore has a much more diverse Indian food sampling, not just biryani.

I have traveled extensively and hands down the best food countries I have found are Italy and Singapore. Italy because its so fresh and diversified. You can run a good sample of European cuisine by starting in Northwestern Italy, moving to the Alps and then traveling south down to Sicily. Singapore because they have such a large examples of authentic asian cuisines and then they also blend it all up. Also because the people themselves are for a large part such foodies that it places a high demand for quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Is it possible that Thai cuisine is simply better or more palatable to more people overall? I definitely feel that way and have been to all three and have eaten a lot of the food from all three.
What most people think of Thai food is actually southern Thai food which is heavily influenced by Malay/Indonesian food and the same influences that makes those 2 cuisines outstanding....so I don't think thats it. I see lots of Thai restaurants that blatantly rip off Malay/Indonesian foods. I have seen rendang, a poor one, labeled Thai beef stew. I have seen Roti Pratha sold as "Thai bread". and on and on. I don't really care so long as its good.

Quote:
Well yes, Singaporean food is for the most part the same food as Malaysia. Both share a lot of similarities to Indonesian as well.
Well you would expect there to be since large portions of them were controlled by the same kingdom for large parts of history.

I don't know that there is a Singaporean food, I guess if there is its the ability to take good qualities of different cuisines and blend them into something new and beautiful.....of course then Malaysia takes credit for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
But the biggest reason I want Singapore food is the noodles with Indian curry! Noodles aren't traditionally Indian, and curry is, and they come together in Singapore.
Thats what separates Singapore from Malaysia and Indonesia. You kind find excellent authentic food from many cultures and then there are the places that meld things from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Chilli crab and satay is heavenly .. Better than curry noodles
I dunno...I kind of prefer laksa.

Last edited by justanokie; 04-23-2014 at 04:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia