Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 05:37 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

When I was in Vietnam last year, I was lining up to use an ATM, the only one in the town that was still working. There were about 4 of us, all foreign tourists, behind a couple of Vietnamese people. Anyway, as soon as the Vietnamese people would finish, more Vietnamese people who weren't in the line who were just milling around waiting behind us would barge in. I think at least 3 or 4 did so before the first non-Vietnamese could use the ATM. I even tried to stop them and told them that the people in front were waiting, but they just went in quick. They others, to my annoyance, weren't doing anything but just complained.

Do some Asian countries have no concept of queuing or lining up? Or is it acceptable to just push in, anyone who can get in first gets first dibs? Or were they being rude even by their standards?

Old 10-12-2012, 11:45 AM

331 posts, read 735,098 times
Queuing is not part of most Asian cultures. I'm from UK which is infamous for queuing! I remember going to a bank in India and when I had got to the front desk an old lady tried to get seen before me. I asked her to wait and told her I got there first. She looked a bit shocked but she backed down.

I never had problems in China, Thailand or Hong Kong. I think the fact that I'm a couple of inches taller than most of the locals scared them off!

Old 10-12-2012, 11:46 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,935 times
thats very common behavior, thats how it is in big crowded cities in asia, bumping into somebody is not a big deal when you live in a crowded highly populated area

the same thing happens in the US in chinatown, it's common to be pushed by an old Chinese man or woman while getting on a bus, crossing the street, etc

for westerners it seems rude but in asia it's very common

Old 10-12-2012, 12:19 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
Yep. Normal. You're probably bigger. Use your size to your advantage.

When we were travelling, we would both go to the bus/train/whatever ticket window, I would block while my spouse would negotiate with the ticket seller. Elbows up. If you're wearing a backpack, use it to push people aside. Having a blocker really helps. Otherwise, you might be trying to speak with the person behind the window and an impatient local will just shove their way in front and interrupt you to do their business.

We generally tried not to cut off people off who had been "waiting" (pushing their way to the front) longer, but we didn't let people in in front of us and we weren't shy about shoving people out of our way when we judged it was our turn.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:47 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
If it's every man for himself than I'm not gonna be Mr. nice guy. Thanks for the advice, lol.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:37 AM

23,538 posts, read 24,029,400 times
The only Asian countries that I have been to that properly line up is Japan and Singapore. In HK, they do not line up and in China, it is pretty much the same. I find the behavior rude, but comment loudly when they cut in front of me. It usually works.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:59 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Not normal or acceptable in Japan.

I notice it much more in China and Korea. Vietnam a little too.

I never see that behavior in phillippines or Japan though.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:55 AM

21 posts, read 52,071 times
Some of the Asian countries do have a problem for Queuing . But places like Japan, Singapore are the well mannered countries, where people follow proper rules.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:20 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times
It's just the way it is. In China, there is constant pushing and shoving. People aren't trying to be rude, that's just the way they carry themselves. Part of the culture shock experience.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:26 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlee11 View Post
Some of the Asian countries do have a problem for Queuing . But places like Japan, Singapore are the well mannered countries, where people follow proper rules.
Yeah, whatever.
We go to Hawaii pretty regularly, and the rudest bunch of people there are the Japanese tourists.
Ask the Hawaiians. They will say the same.
They also knocked over my 60+ year-old mother to get to a ticket window.
She was just standing there.
They always stand on the coral (despite signs everywhere saying not to).
They will kick you in the face regularly in crowded snorkel situations.
They have zero respect for the wildlife (that shouldn't be a surprise).

I used to spend a lot of time in Japan and Singapore. Being more orderly doesn't mean you're better mannered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.