Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 05:56 AM

399 posts, read 719,647 times

Advertisements

So drug use is a good thing? Some people talk like drug use is a good liberal progressive thing to do. That's bull crap. Drugs destroy societies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 09:50 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I read that in Bali Indonesia a person could buy anything they wanted and didn't have to worry about breaking the law(not openly though). But if someone is caught smuggling drugs into Indonesia it is the death penalty. What are other countries in Asia like when it comes to drug laws? How about Kazhakstasn?
Bali is strange - they have strict drug laws like the rest of Indonesia but if you go to places like Gili they openly sell "magic mushrooms" - clearly mushrooms that give you an LSD like effect (and which I do not recommend because of the unknown potency).

In Nepal marijuana grows like the weed that it is, and is used in some Hindu religious ceremonies. The number of times I was approached in Thamel to buy hash you would think it's common, but drug laws are severe there as well.

Everyone knows about Singapore (this is the Asia forum guys, you don't have to tell us about the drug laws there). What is a trip (pun intended) is visiting Amsterdam with a Singapore citizen and walking into a coffeeshop. Talk about culture shock.

Last edited by Dd714; 02-28-2015 at 10:01 AM..

Old 03-01-2015, 09:38 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmain View Post
So drug use is a good thing? Some people talk like drug use is a good liberal progressive thing to do. That's bull crap. Drugs destroy societies.
Who says drug use is a good thing? Some(or many) think death penalty is too harsh for drug use, that's all.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:30 AM

42 posts, read 61,015 times
Not sure about the actual laws, but I saw lots of drug use in the open in Cambodia. Heck you can even buy "happy pizza", by the slice.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Who says drug use is a good thing? Some(or many) think death penalty is too harsh for drug use, that's all.
If I were a head of a nation I would have zero tolerance for drugs. I think the death penalty is fine. Drugs destroy lives, families, societies, productivity, it's one of the scourges of this world.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:49 PM

3,801 posts, read 2,995,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmain View Post
If I were a head of a nation I would have zero tolerance for drugs. I think the death penalty is fine. Drugs destroy lives, families, societies, productivity, it's one of the scourges of this world.
There is no question about that, but whether you enforce the death penalty on a drug smuggler for a non-violent crime goes against most western values.
As most would know, there are a number of prisoners on death row on "execution island" right now in Indonesia, including 2 Australian citizens.
This continues to cause a diplomatic row here.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:56 PM

3,801 posts, read 2,995,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
Drug users are to Asian countries, like how gay people are to Muslim countries.

Singapore, no matter how modern and liberal it acts, it's still as primitive as Iran and Saudi Arabia. Seriously, not just a death penalty, but even canning?

What's more disgusting is that they don't cane female criminals. Sure, I'm not condoning this, but at least Saudi Arabia and Iran are ballsy enough to to punish BOTH genders?
A Perth man was very lucky not to face this punishment a couple of years ago :

WA man to escape caning for Tiger Airways swearing | The Border Mail

This comes under the "outrage on public modesty" laws applicable in Singapore.
It can also be applied to other non-violent crimes like defacing public property and overstaying a visa.
Whilst these laws are exceptionally harsh by our standards, it is our responsibility to abide them. (or otherwise avoid the place altogether).

Old 03-13-2015, 06:14 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,950,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I don't think Singapore has been acting liberal, it is known as a very conservative country, but nowhere near the level of Saudi Arabia or Iran.
I know. That's only because they don't physically punish their female criminals (besides execution). In these Arab countries, the women do get lashes, just like the men. At least Saudia and Iran treat their criminals equally? That's my point here...

I don't know, but I have the feeling that if these southeast Asian countries were to cane women too there would've been an outcry in the west and the UN would've reacted.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:57 AM

10,644 posts, read 16,027,294 times
Just legalize marijuana worldwide (waste of time, focus on the hard stuff!), start a global anti-drug army with the best soldiers we have on this planet and destroy the production of hard drugs.
I think the world would be a better place, with less crime and more equality.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Just legalize marijuana worldwide (waste of time, focus on the hard stuff!), start a global anti-drug army with the best soldiers we have on this planet and destroy the production of hard drugs.
I think the world would be a better place, with less crime and more equality.
What is it with people and weed? It's not a hard drug but a drug nonetheless. It's not as harmless as you think. Smoke it yourself in your country but keep it out of sensible countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia