Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 06:22 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
Caning for males was a legal punishment inherited from the British - and used exclusively for colonial population till the 1950s.
Time to get rid of it bro. Singapore can do better than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 06:44 AM

653 posts, read 743,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Time to get rid of it bro. Singapore can do better than that.
I can walk safely at night at 3 am around some of the seediest part of Singapore because we have strict law and order. I can't say the same for Brisbane, where i have lived before, or Adelaide or Malaysia, or Thailand.

the only nation I have been to with such a low crime rate is Japan.

Once i was walking in Adelaide after a evening business meeting, the sun was down, and as i was walking, I passed by a young Australian in a hooded jacket; as he passed me by, he called me by a racist slur. I stopped and looked at him, and then he pulled out a knife. I just walked away.

of course, there are those whom said that I have no business walking out after the sun sets; but that is just sad to me. the logic is simple: if a person don't want to be punished by harsh laws, don't commit crimes.

Last edited by tigerbalm1985; 03-16-2015 at 06:53 AM..

Old 03-16-2015, 07:16 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
I can walk safely at night at 3 am around some of the seediest part of Singapore because we have strict law and order. I can't say the same for Brisbane, where i have lived before, or Adelaide or Malaysia, or Thailand.

Once i was walking in Adelaide after a evening business meeting, the sun was down, and as i was walking, I passed by a young Australian in a hooded jacket; as he passed me by, he called me by a racist slur. I stopped and looked at him, and then he pulled out a knife. I just walked away.

of course, there are those whom said that I have no business walking out after the sun sets; but that is just sad to me. the logic is simple: if a person don't want to be punished by harsh laws, don't commit crimes.
I can walk around safely at 3 am in Taiwan too, and I'm pretty sure that you can do the same in many European countries or Hong Kong, not just in Japan and Singapore.

I'm not encouraging crimes, but honestly, if you wanna punish the wrongdoers, you arrest them, fine them or put them in jail(in more serious cases). The police enforcement is what prevents crimes from happening, not barbaric and outdated laws, especially for such an advanced country like Singapore.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:33 AM

335 posts, read 424,057 times
South Korea has the most lenient. Kpop singers like GDragon and Bom Park have smoked, but received light sentences.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:51 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Quote:

I gotta say, people like this foul of a human should definitely be canned.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:55 PM

8,488 posts, read 6,891,592 times
Singapore's drug laws are not as harsh as they used to be especially for offenses carrying the death penalty. In the past the accused could not present any mitigating evidence that might lessen punishment to confinement instead of execution. Now one can and may be spared from a date with the hangman.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:16 PM

63 posts, read 67,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I read that in Bali Indonesia a person could buy anything they wanted and didn't have to worry about breaking the law(not openly though). But if someone is caught smuggling drugs into Indonesia it is the death penalty. What are other countries in Asia like when it comes to drug laws? How about Kazhakstasn?
No matter how don't try this in Malaysia - death penalty lol...

Old 03-21-2015, 09:44 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
In Asia, for drugs, it is usually one strike and you're out...you won't get a 3rd strike called most of the time.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:59 AM

653 posts, read 743,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
In Asia, for drugs, it is usually one strike and you're out...you won't get a 3rd strike called most of the time.
I had disciplinary problems when I was young, i got caned and it did wonders for my self-discipline; spare the rod when they are young and you will ruin their future.

Last edited by tigerbalm1985; 03-22-2015 at 08:11 AM..

Old 07-11-2019, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 376 times
You are totally right about Indonesia. Japan, Malaysia, and some other Asian countries are on that list as well. You can check out the full list of the countries with the cruelest punishment for drug use following this link: https://thcdetox.biz/blog/countries-...marijuana-use/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia