Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 08:31 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmain View Post
What is it with people and weed? It's not a hard drug but a drug nonetheless. It's not as harmless as you think. Smoke it yourself in your country but keep it out of sensible countries.
the Netherlands is not a sensible country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 08:32 AM

653 posts, read 743,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
I know. That's only because they don't physically punish their female criminals (besides execution). In these Arab countries, the women do get lashes, just like the men. At least Saudia and Iran treat their criminals equally? That's my point here...

I don't know, but I have the feeling that if these southeast Asian countries were to cane women too there would've been an outcry in the west and the UN would've reacted.
This is pretty much accurate! Western nations react only when it offends their western sensibilities - and when they can afford to do so.....

Last edited by tigerbalm1985; 03-14-2015 at 08:49 AM..

Old 03-14-2015, 03:42 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,997,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
This is pretty much accurate! Western nations react only when it offends their western sensibilities - and when they can afford to do so.....
And caning in general does not offend our sensibilities? (even if it is only done on males 16-49).

Old 03-15-2015, 03:59 AM

372 posts, read 1,006,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I read that in Bali Indonesia a person could buy anything they wanted and didn't have to worry about breaking the law(not openly though). But if someone is caught smuggling drugs into Indonesia it is the death penalty. What are other countries in Asia like when it comes to drug laws? How about Kazhakstasn?
Drugs, Terrorism, Corruption, Murder is an action a very cruel of , I do not agree with the death penalty, but the law in each country should be respected...

Old 03-15-2015, 04:43 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmain View Post
What is it with people and weed? It's not a hard drug but a drug nonetheless. It's not as harmless as you think. Smoke it yourself in your country but keep it out of sensible countries.
It's about as harmful as alcohol or smoking. It's the addiction that's harmless.

Quote:
the Netherlands is not a sensible country?
One of the most sensible ones, tbh.

Quote:
I know. That's only because they don't physically punish their female criminals (besides execution). In these Arab countries, the women do get lashes, just like the men. At least Saudia and Iran treat their criminals equally? That's my point here...

I don't know, but I have the feeling that if these southeast Asian countries were to cane women too there would've been an outcry in the west and the UN would've reacted.
No.

Singapore is a secular nation, just that they have harsher punishments on things which most other nations also consider illegal. It's more of an ancient Chinese moralistic mindset than anything else; Iran and Saudi Arabia are caesaropapist. Those are two very different levels of conservatism.

And corporal punishment is just pathetic and barbaric no matter in what form or which gender the prisoner is. It's a disgrace, no matter how the West think of it.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post

Singapore is a secular nation, just that they have harsher punishments on things which most other nations also consider illegal. It's more of an ancient Chinese moralistic mindset than anything else; Iran and Saudi Arabia are caesaropapist. Those are two very different levels of conservatism.
This may come as a shock to most of you; but Singapore's caning, was inherited directly from British colonial rule, which lasted till 1950s.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
This may come as a shock to most of you; but Singapore's caning, was inherited directly from British colonial rule, which lasted till 1950s.
Yeah I know that. By ancient Chinese mindset I meant the mentality of believing in harsh punishment and considering it the key to an orderly society. Taiwanese are kinda like that, too.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:48 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
No.

And corporal punishment is just pathetic and barbaric no matter in what form or which gender the prisoner is. It's a disgrace, no matter how the West think of it.
I agree, really. But why is that only male criminals can get caned? Either ban it for both genders or do both genders? So a female criminal is still better than the male even if she did worse crimes? Just saying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
And caning in general does not offend our sensibilities? (even if it is only done on males 16-49).
Individuals like you and I would get offended, but I agree with him - There isn't an international reaction for this sadly.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:22 AM

Quote:
I agree, really. But why is that only male criminals can get caned? Either ban it for both genders or do both genders? So a female criminal is still better than the male even if she did worse crimes? Just saying...
It's probably the same as conscription.

Quote:
Individuals like you and I would get offended, but I agree with him - There isn't an international reaction for this sadly.
Actually there always has been, just that Singapore, like every other country with horrific human rights record, has always ignored those criticisms.

Speaking of which, two Germans were sentenced to be caned in Singapore like two weeks ago for freakin' graffiti. Unbelievable.

Last edited by Greysholic; 03-16-2015 at 05:31 AM..

Old 03-16-2015, 06:15 AM

Quote:

Caning for males was a legal punishment inherited from the British - and used exclusively for colonial population till the 1950s. There was no international outcry by any western government then. From my own experience, there is only an international reaction only when a foreign westerner gets caned - and even then, it depends a lot on whether the government in question chooses to make noise about this. for examples, in the recent news, 2 Germans being caned for graffiti, their government probably has a certain policy on this, and thus, there is little diplomatic moves, whereas the Michael Fay incident of the 1990s led to a big outcry by the US media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia