Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2020, 08:54 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Existential Monkey View Post
To even better appreciate it, the following are pictures of modern-day Vigan, Ilocos Sur. It's famous for its Spanish Filipino architecture. Imagine this on a city-wide scale and you'll get an idea of what Manila used to be like before it got devastated by war.
Nice! Adding Vigan to my must visit list.

Old 08-02-2020, 09:04 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenPedersen View Post
I have lived in both. 7 years in Manila and 6 (and counting) in Bangkok. Whilst I absolutely prefer Manila for easy communication with people, the idea of it being more attractive and advanced, better planned or more elegant is laughable.

Unless you shut your eyes closed during journey from airport to Makati then yes Makati or BGC are more modern but attractive is a matter of characteristic of the city not how tall the buildings are.

I lived right next to some amazing malls in Manila (Makati) where my very good annual salary could be spent on a necklace. A month’s earnings on a handbag. There’s Gucci, Prada and other names that my wife would recognise. There were rows and rows of shops selling $30k+ watches and excellent restaurants. However, none of it is on the same scale as malls in Bangkok and most of the mall in Manila are characterless.
Mall of Asia, S&M and some malls are fine but neither as advanced or elegant or unique comparing to Siam Paragon or IconSiam. In addition, Bangkok already got 2 official Apple Stores while Manila still enjoying authorized resellers. If Bangkok not attractive, why would Apple opens not one but 2 official store in Bangkok?

As foreigners, we are not coming to a country to see buildings or skyscrabers... this things are characterless and we do have them already in Europe or USA. Bangkok attractiveness lies within uniqueness of its culture, architectures and infrastructure. Manila has many churches but those things we find more attractive in Rome or London but Buddhist temples are things we do not have, thats why we found bangkok even more attractive. Thai cuisine is world known with huge option for vegetarian, while filipino food focus on pork and chicken many of which taste like regular bbq pork in Spain and leaning to salty side.

The infrastructure in Manila is awful. The MRT is appaling and traffic is terrible. Roads were designed when there was an 8-story limit on buildings. I lived on the 40th floor. The roads can’t take the people. There is no way I would ever try to travel at rush hour(s). Public transport in Bangkok is class apart. They know their traffic constraints. And so BTS & MRT are really helpful. Manila on the other hand is not as well planned city & there are a couple under construction fly overs in Manila, in Bangkok? there are fly over roads, double highways and autobahn like in Germany through out the city and the whole country.

Manila is old and congested. You can see poverty almost anywhere (you dont see this in Bangkok in general). Infrastructures are no good too as many of them were built decades ago and are now deteriorating. It is highly polluted and traffic is one of the worst, if not the worst, in the world.

Bangkok, on the other hand, is more progressive. Thailand managed to turn the city into a promising trade and commerce district without sacrificing its environment and beautiful sceneries. Instead, the government took advantage of its many tourist attractions and made it more accessible by upgrading the city’s transportation system. Its mass transit system is 159 km long as of 2020 and by 2026 it will be 540km, making Bangkok world's 3rd largest mass transit system after Seoul, Korea. So you can imagine, what is being build right now.

The attractiveness comparing is not of BGC and Makati’s CBD but Manila metro as a whole.

In answer to the question, I think Manila and the Philippines is an amazing place. The people are welcoming and friendly. They have drive and spirit and interest in others. They are outward-looking, kind and enterprising. The country itself is stunning. As ugly as Manila is, the rest of the country is amazing. Incredible mountains, beaches and (chocolate) hills. Volcanoes, jungles and vistas. My best advice to you is go to Bangkok and see for yourself?
Pretty close to my impressions as well. I'll also add that the people of Bangkok and Thailand are also quite welcoming and friendly and there appears to be far less crime in Bangkok than in Manila. Better planned city, generally better food, much less abject poverty, less crime, more idiosyncratic culture with a much longer written and literary history and more sophisticated material culture--all in all, it's really hard to imagine why anyone would pick Manila over Bangkok unless it was out of nationalism, having family there, or discomfort with people speaking anything but English.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:47 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,571,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selurong View Post
Cambodia has more ancient temples and richer culture than Thailand but they hardly get any tourists.
Cambodia got almost seven million tourists in 2019, in what alternate reality is that hardly any? Angkor Wat is one of the most popular tourist sites on the planet.

Quote:
The main selling point of Thailand is that they are the prostitution capital of the planet. Many people who want to have sex and lots of it travel to Thailand for the hoes.
Nonsense, sex tourists are a tiny fraction of Thai tourism and it might be a higher percentage in Cambodia. People go to Thailand for beaches, temples, warm weather, etc. on the cheap.

Old 08-03-2020, 06:48 AM

546 posts, read 569,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Cambodia got almost seven million tourists in 2019, in what alternate reality is that hardly any? Angkor Wat is one of the most popular tourist sites on the planet.

Nonsense, sex tourists are a tiny fraction of Thai tourism and it might be a higher percentage in Cambodia. People go to Thailand for beaches, temples, warm weather, etc. on the cheap.

Lol who you fooling? Cambodia only has 7 Million Tourists last year vs Thailand's 39 Million. And please, if Thailand isn't the prostitution capital of the world (Which you lie by saying they arent) how come they have the highest AIDS and HIV rate in Asia?

Old 08-03-2020, 12:24 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,161,650 times
I'll try to answer the question thru the eyes of my wife who was born and raised in the Philippines. If you ask her what her favorite city is in the world? It's Bangkok. I kid you not. She would move there tomorrow if she could.

Many have already touched on the reasons why Bangkok wins as the better city. But here goes:

1. Bangkok has less visible poverty. Yes it exists but Manila takes the cake as far as poverty goes. It just smothers you.
2. Malls and shopping. Bangkok wins again. Once you figure out the BTS, shopping becomes easy. Manila is geared more for cheaper clothes, Bangkok has done a very good job of building boutique style shops, restaurants and coffee shops. My wife can't get enough.
3. Food. Yes my lovely wife loves her filipino food but BKK offers so much more variety and it's all over the place. This may be the one area that Bangkok blows away the competition.
4. Safety. We've visited BKK a dozen times thoughout the years. We've never had one issue and we like to get out and explore. Manila? It's not uncommon to have your wallet attempted to be stolen! Wear a money belt in this city.
5. Aura. BKK has a certain aura. No city comes alive more than Bangkok at night. Manila? Meh.
6. Hotels. BKK is cheaper than Manila. It's a better deal for our money.
7. Ease of getting to the airport. Now that the city is linked to the BTS, it's a piece of cake to get to the airport.
8. Massages and spas.
9. Filipino "oh it's good enough" mentality. This may be one of the biggest reasons she love Thailand. Filipino's strive for mediocracy. The food? It's good enough, customer service, it's good enough etc. Thailand? You can go to a coffee shop and the barista will bring you your latte that has art work. The food will be excellent with attention to detail and presentation. I call it the wow factor. I don't Phils will have this mentality.
10. Entertainment. So many side tours, food tours, roof top restaurants, theaters, cool bars, discos in BKK. Manila can't compare.

One of these days, Manila may catch up but they have a lot of work to do. But for now, I'm sorry, it's not even close and this is coming from a filipina.

Old 08-04-2020, 01:48 AM

732 posts, read 780,496 times
Lol not even close is a subjective term. Im havingvso much fun with all these comments.

Old 08-04-2020, 01:54 AM

732 posts, read 780,496 times
Quote:
Lets stop pretending that its all about the cultureof Thailand blahblablah, Cambodia has more ancient temples and richer culture than Thailand but they hardly get any tourists. The main selling point of Thailand is that they are the prostitution capital of the planet. Many people who want to have sex and lots of it travel to Thailand for the hoes.
I think this is one big factor though it appears that they were able to incorporate aesthetics better than Manila. I would say though they arent far off. They are similar, with Bangkok just slightly ahead for now.

Old 08-04-2020, 12:19 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,161,650 times
Quote:
Lets stop pretending that its all about the cultureof Thailand blahblablah, Cambodia has more ancient temples and richer culture than Thailand but they hardly get any tourists. The main selling point of Thailand is that they are the prostitution capital of the planet. Many people who want to have sex and lots of it travel to Thailand for the hoes.

Let's dive into this topic a bit more. I first visited Bangkok 18 years ago and we stayed over on Soi 11 in Nana. Back then, it was one huge brothel, no doubt about that. Definitely fun but crazy.

But the wealthy rich folk from Bangkok got tired of the party scene. They realized that prostitution brought in big bucks into the city but they tired quickly of looking at 50 and 60 year men walking hand in hand with 18 year old Thai girls. So a concerted effort was made to clean some of it up and move the mongering capital from BKK to Pattaya. For the most part they were successful.

So the goal was to send the sex tourist out to Pattaya, which is a beachside party town 2 hours away, and bring in the Chinese tourists and lure them with nice shops, spas and restaurants. Now granted, prostitution still exists in BKK, no denying that, but they were successful at chipping away at it. Today you don't see as much "activity" on Sukhumvit Road as days past. Old shanties in Nana are being torn down and replaced with luxury condos. It's much cleaner and the elite Thais are happier.

Right now, BKK has a good blend. It's a good compromise and the net result is BKK no longer looks like a cease pool.

Old 08-04-2020, 07:38 PM

657 posts, read 245,077 times
Why Bangkok? Because Bangkok is the gate for newbie to explore other sea country.
They has culture, food, infras, value, etc

In the other side the Pinoy even not in radar for south east asian, unatractive culture, food, infras,value, etc. What i see many Pinoy here or other forum they always brag good in english for tourism selling point. LOL

They cant compete tourism industry in region
The sad thing this Pinoy believe will back in glory golden age.
They now doom with many problem, covid, south china sea, security extrajudicial killing, economy collapse.

Last edited by pag-pag; 08-04-2020 at 07:52 PM..

Old 08-05-2020, 06:54 AM

546 posts, read 569,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
I'll try to answer the question thru the eyes of my wife who was born and raised in the Philippines. If you ask her what her favorite city is in the world? It's Bangkok. I kid you not. She would move there tomorrow if she could.

Many have already touched on the reasons why Bangkok wins as the better city. But here goes:

1. Bangkok has less visible poverty. Yes it exists but Manila takes the cake as far as poverty goes. It just smothers you.
2. Malls and shopping. Bangkok wins again. Once you figure out the BTS, shopping becomes easy. Manila is geared more for cheaper clothes, Bangkok has done a very good job of building boutique style shops, restaurants and coffee shops. My wife can't get enough.
3. Food. Yes my lovely wife loves her filipino food but BKK offers so much more variety and it's all over the place. This may be the one area that Bangkok blows away the competition.
4. Safety. We've visited BKK a dozen times thoughout the years. We've never had one issue and we like to get out and explore. Manila? It's not uncommon to have your wallet attempted to be stolen! Wear a money belt in this city.
5. Aura. BKK has a certain aura. No city comes alive more than Bangkok at night. Manila? Meh.
6. Hotels. BKK is cheaper than Manila. It's a better deal for our money.
7. Ease of getting to the airport. Now that the city is linked to the BTS, it's a piece of cake to get to the airport.
8. Massages and spas.
9. Filipino "oh it's good enough" mentality. This may be one of the biggest reasons she love Thailand. Filipino's strive for mediocracy. The food? It's good enough, customer service, it's good enough etc. Thailand? You can go to a coffee shop and the barista will bring you your latte that has art work. The food will be excellent with attention to detail and presentation. I call it the wow factor. I don't Phils will have this mentality.
10. Entertainment. So many side tours, food tours, roof top restaurants, theaters, cool bars, discos in BKK. Manila can't compare.

One of these days, Manila may catch up but they have a lot of work to do. But for now, I'm sorry, it's not even close and this is coming from a filipina.
As a Filipino I want to give giant F.U. to the Thais. Thailand was an Axis power in World War 2 and actively supported Japan.

The Thais and the Japanese alike destroyed our once beautiful capital city of Manila (My mom told me that before the war Manila was called the Paris of Asia due to the canals and ancient churches) all of that was destroyed by the Japs and their Thai lackeys. Now, stupid westerners think that Bangkok is better than Manila, because of Thailand has ancient Temples, Culture and etc. wholesalely forgetting the fact that during WW2 Filipinos died for Westerners and Christians en masse' and had Japan and Thailand obliderate our capital with bombings, when we never attacked theirs, all Thailand's ancient Temples and Canals are intact while our city was in ruins. Yet Westerners flock to Thailand while betraying those who fought for them

I have no respect whatsoever for the Fascist Thais and their hoe people and neither do I respect the westerners who go there to fornicate and proclaim Thailand the best nation in Southeast Asia when just 60 years ago, their nationality tried to exterminate every Westerner they encounter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia