Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 03:52 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,879,855 times

Advertisements

And the Global Times weighs in with their typically just, even-handed, objective approach to reporting.

Law-abusing tribunal issues ill-founded award on South China Sea arbitration - Global Times

A slightly more detailed article here:

Hague Arbitration court rules in favor of Philippines in South China Sea Dispute - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 05:02 AM

8,871 posts, read 8,461,053 times
Typical petty cat fight started by China who constantly acts like an entitled 5 YO.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:33 AM

549 posts, read 723,791 times
The ruling won't change much in China's behavior but it will help sanctions that hurt it economically (based on that ruling).

That's the only way I can see change happening is by using the ruling as a basis for forcing change but the pain would be felt globally, at least for a few years.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat View Post
The ruling won't change much in China's behavior but it will help sanctions that hurt it economically (based on that ruling).

That's the only way I can see change happening is by using the ruling as a basis for forcing change but the pain would be felt globally, at least for a few years.
There won't be sanctions, the ruling is not binding.

It just makes China lose face, and China hates losing face.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:52 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,135,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
There won't be sanctions, the ruling is not binding.

It just makes China lose face, and China hates losing face.
ICJ ruled against Japan in its whaling case and it certainly hasn't stopped them from whaling. Nothing is going to happen here at all since there is no enforcement mechanism.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:10 AM

I would love to see it blow up and some **** hitting the fan amongst these countries, it would be hella entertaining, though it's far more likely to just be forgotten after a few days. China is gonna barf for several days, then goes back to building islands and military drills, same crap as usual.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:40 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,572,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I would love to see it blow up and some **** hitting the fan amongst these countries, it would be hella entertaining, though it's far more likely to just be forgotten after a few days. China is gonna barf for several days, then goes back to building islands and military drills, same crap as usual.
You mean concreting reefs and continuing its unrelenting war against the natural environment and endangered species.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:16 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,739,906 times
I am not saying China has legal rights to all these islands, but a bunch European old men decide whether the islands in the Pacific belong to China or the Philippines, that's just funny since these countries still occupy a sh8t load of islands millions of miles from them.

More important, I don't know what the Philippines is up to. They surely can feel victorious, but they are nothing but another Ukraine to Uncle Sam. When they need you, it pretend to support you, the minute they have "priorities" elsewhere, you are garbage to them.

All this is just politics. Why all of the sudden the SCS is a big deal and Ukraine is not? Because Washington decides Asia-Pacific is priority again.

Of course China is a bully in this matter, but last time I checked, the world is run by bullies.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:28 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,739,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat View Post

I am fully supporting heavy sanctions against China.

China is not Russia or Iran. And I am not sure by sanctioning China, the world's second largest economy, who will be the largest victim economically. More importantly, will the real bosses on wall street allow a sanction on China? It will be interesting to see.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I am not saying China has legal rights to all these islands, but a bunch European old men decide whether the islands in the Pacific belong to China or the Philippines, that's just funny since these countries still occupy a sh8t load of islands millions of miles from them.

More important, I don't know what the Philippines is up to. They surely can feel victorious, but they are nothing but another Ukraine to Uncle Sam. When they need you, it pretend to support you, the minute they have "priorities" elsewhere, you are garbage to them.

All this is just politics. Why all of the sudden the SCS is a big deal and Ukraine is not? Because Washington decides Asia-Pacific is priority again.

Of course China is a bully in this matter, but last time I checked, the world is run by bullies.
1. The tribunal did not decide on which island belongs to which country. They ruled that these islands are all just rocks, so China's claim on SCS is therefore invalid. Same for Taiwan's but well we don't act like an insufferable sob.

2. The Philippines has a bilateral defence treaty with America and it's extremely strategic, Ukraine is not.

3. SCS became a deal because China decided to take a series of hostile actions. Before that everyone just agreed to disagree and while occasional bicker happened from time to time, the situation never escalated. For whatever reason China seemed to think that it didn't have enough enemies, then the whole thing became a ****fest like it is today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia