Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2017, 09:56 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times

Advertisements

Fiji - more resort-oriented, and difficult to see the 'real' Fiji?

Don't know who has been to Fiji, but did it seem that way? I was reading a few other things, and those were a few complaints...

But, I do see they have small cities like Suva and Nadi, and I'd imagine they would offer something beyond just a resort. Granted, no one goes to Fiji to spend time in a city however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 05:38 PM

2,296 posts, read 1,516,926 times
Fiji is fairly poor and tourism is a main industry. But we hired a car and drove to Suva and to Nadi. It was interesting but there are really no iconic things to see in them. Fiji is very popular with east coast Aussies and Kiwis as a place to have a family resort holiday. But the real Fiji comprises, like anywhere else, people going to work, going to school, going to shops, farming...

Old 10-08-2017, 06:10 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,484 times
The real Fiji is pretty run down. Not really anything worth seeing

Old 10-09-2017, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
The real Fiji is pretty run down. Not really anything worth seeing
Yeah, that's the impression I get as well. More to just go for the resorts or beaches, more than anything.

It seems like it could potentially be interesting though, as an English-speaking country, and the interesting inhabitants - i.e. Pacific Islanders and Ethnic-Indian-Fijians.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:25 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,475,037 times
fiji has a powerful little military

Old 10-11-2017, 02:16 AM

Fiji is not generally regarded as part of Asia. Perhaps the Asia Pacific region, which is absolutely huge.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:30 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,494,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Fiji is not generally regarded as part of Asia. Perhaps the Asia Pacific region, which is absolutely huge.
Perhaps the Australia and New Zealand forum should be renamed Oceania.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:06 AM

Fiji - Beyond Beach/Ocean activities - anything else worth exploring? Indian-Fijian Community perhaps?

For Australians, I imagine Fiji makes sense. For those of us from further away, there are always a ton of other beach/ocean-related destinations throughout the world.

is there any particular BIG DRAW to make Fiji worth going to, beyond the beach/ocean activities, that could be found in many other places?

I am thinking the Indian-Fijian community/population certainly adds an interesting twist to this Pacific Island. But, how interesting is it really? Is this much going on with that, that might make it seem interesting?

I've also heard the FIJIAN HOSPITALITY is legendary. I've also heard that the crime/violence/domestic violence/assault/robbery makes walking around cities like Suva at night, something you really don't want to do.

In short, how worth is Fiji, for someone coming from further away than Australia. In my case, from Hong Kong; but let's also use the examples of Europeans/Americans...where you could easily make an argument that Thailand/Philippines/Bali all has much larger cities/more locations that you could combine a lot along with the beach excursions?

On the other hand, something sounds uniquely appealing about this mix of Fijian hospitality, Indian-Fijian cultural things, all out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, while drinking kava...!!

Old 10-17-2017, 05:36 PM

I would say it does not have a big draw as such. I actually find New Caledonia more interesting. FIji is popular with Aussies because, in the winter, the weather tends to be that bit warmer than in most of the resort areas in Queensland. It also offers good child minding facilities for families, I am told.
The resorts are much the same cost as in many other places and the food is nowhere nearly as good as Asia.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
I would say it does not have a big draw as such. I actually find New Caledonia more interesting. FIji is popular with Aussies because, in the winter, the weather tends to be that bit warmer than in most of the resort areas in Queensland. It also offers good child minding facilities for families, I am told.
The resorts are much the same cost as in many other places and the food is nowhere nearly as good as Asia.
Good information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia