Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 07:44 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,208,344 times

Advertisements

I would love to read a study, or hear thoughts on why/how crime in China is so low. There are 10's of millions of people living all together in large cities, many of whom are uneducated and face financial challenges each day (as they also see wealthy people sharing the same city with them), yet you rarerly see violent crime in most places in China. Yes, I know people steal bicycles and grab computer bags, but I'm referring to violent crime, ie rape, assault, assault with a weapon, murder and so on. How is it that violent crime is so low?

Is it the nature of the people? The fear of doing time and labor in Chinese prisons?

Spoke to my wife about it, and she commented that rape and other sexual crime is a very taboo offense, and so most people would never rape because of this. I don't really understand this answer. I know Chinese are rather conservative, but I don't understand why stabing someone with a knife is not in the same boat as rape? To me they are both horrible things that take a lot of build up to do.

Lots of outside people from other provinces (waidiren) live in big cities mostly for jobs, so is the fear of going to prison and losing face, once people in your hometown find out one of the reasons people don't dare commit violent crime, yet littering, stealing petty things is seen as not a big deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 01:19 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
East Asians are simple not as violent, regardless of economic circumstances. People may want to deny it but it is simply true. From rich Japan to poor Laos they are all relatively law-abiding with low violent crime rates. It is in the culture as well as genes.

In terms of culture, western culture has some admiration for tough, criminal kind of guys. In Asia, the general trend is to admire well educated and civil men with mild behavior. Tough guys with tatoos and shaved head who curse constantly are not considered attractive, sexy and usually looked down upon.

Rape is the most disgusting crime I can think of. The trauma it causes is more than a stab I think. Forcing someone to have intercourse with you? That's just pathetic. I would put it straight ahead with murder.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:13 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Spoke to my wife about it, and she commented that rape and other sexual crime is a very taboo offense, and so most people would never rape because of this. I don't really understand this answer. I know Chinese are rather conservative, but I don't understand why stabing someone with a knife is not in the same boat as rape? To me they are both horrible things that take a lot of build up to do.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_in_China

"The 2013 Multi-country Study on Men and Domestic Violence asked men in China if they had ever coerced a female partner into having sex (including alcohol facilitated rape). 22.2% said yes. 9.3% had done so in the past year. 19.4% raped their partner. 55% of the men who had raped had done so more than once and 9% had have so on four or more partners. 86% cited sexual entitlement as their motive (the highest percentage in the study) and 57% answered that they raped out of boredom. 72.4% experienced no legal consequences. 1.7% had raped another man. 25.1% who had raped reported first doing so as a teenager. 2.2% admitted to having committed gang rape.[5]"

---

My guess is that it is quite common, but women probably don't feel they have the right legally or socially to talk about it.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:16 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
The scariest issue in CHINA though is Child abductions/missing children/trafficked children.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...china-children

It's one of the highest in the world.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The scariest issue in CHINA though is Child abductions/missing children/trafficked children.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...china-children

It's one of the highest in the world.
Yes, it is quite bad. I personally have heard several cases.
And not just children, young women as well. It is amazing that in 2017 in some regions people still think they can sell women like commodities...

What is particularly bizarre about crimes in China is there are TONS of telephone scams which are almost unheard of elsewhere. I really don't understand how people would fall for that.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:14 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
My guess is that it is quite common, but women probably don't feel they have the right legally or socially to talk about it.
Bingo. Asians are equally capable of violent and sexual crimes as other races. The victims are typically just more afraid / less vocal / less confident to talk openly about it than westerners, thus a lot of them went unreported and unheard. Especially if we're talking about rape, which to this day, still carries a LOT of visible and invisible punishments to a victim and her family (the shame, in some Asian culture raped women are considered 'damaged goods', 'blame the victim' mentality aka she deserves it for dressing / acting / talking like that, etc). It's also a matter of chance. With a strict gun laws across Asia, the chance to perpetrate violent crimes involving mass killing weapons such as guns is nearly non-existent compared to the US.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Bingo. Asians are equally capable of violent and sexual crimes as other races.
You have no evidence to back it up.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:47 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
You have no evidence to back it up.
Oh please. The most infamous rape of Nanking came to mind. That was way back in the 40's. Then the poisonous gas attack on Tokyo subway perpetrated by a religious nut job that prompted the Japanese government to ban public trash cans anywhere in Tokyo. That was in the 80's IIRC. Then the riot of 1998 in Jakarta - Indonesia that caused a lot of Chinese-Indonesian women being raped and the Chinese-Indonesian men brutally assaulted or killed. Then the killings of Rohingya people in Burma, this is happening now.

I know the title of this thread says 'China' but your lofty claim of "East Asians are not violent, from China to Laos" was even more baseless with no evidence to back that up. Anyone can cite statistics, of course, and no denying that the crime rates in Asia are lower than the US, but that doesn't mean Asians are not capable of committing violent crimes. Anyone can, given the right chance, weapons, and reasons.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Oh please. The most infamous rape of Nanking came to mind. That was way back in the 40's. Then the poisonous gas attack on Tokyo subway perpetrated by a religious nut job that prompted the Japanese government to ban public trash cans anywhere in Tokyo. That was in the 80's IIRC. Then the riot of 1998 in Jakarta - Indonesia that caused a lot of Chinese-Indonesian women being raped and the Chinese-Indonesian men brutally assaulted or killed. Then the killings of Rohingya people in Burma, this is happening now.

I know the title of this thread says 'China' but your lofty claim of "East Asians are not violent, from China to Laos" was even more baseless with no evidence to back that up. Anyone can cite statistics, of course, and no denying that the crime rates in Asia are lower than the US, but that doesn't mean Asians are not capable of committing violent crimes. Anyone can, given the right chance, weapons, and reasons.
of course one can, but more Asians choose not too.

Following your logic, we can safely say men are no worse than women in terms of violent crimes.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:24 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
Quote:

Yep, exactly. Crime rates are lower than America by a large margin and lower than most of Europe by a smaller margin, but there is still a lot of violence going on in East Asia. However, people here love being praised by Westerners too much to actually acknowledge it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia