Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 10:18 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
Ankara and Yekaterinburg are both cities in Asia...
I know that. What I was saying was this thread is about matching a USA city with an Asian city, not matching one Asian city with another Asian city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 01:20 PM

I have a new list.

Chicago,IL - Novosibirsk,Russia(Novosibirsk was called the "Chicago of Siberia". It might have to do with the fact the it plays a major role in the railroad as did Chicago)
St. Louis,MO - Irkutsk, Russia(Cities founded on major trade routes for furs)
Moline,IL - Chelyabinsk,Russia(Industrial cities that specialize in manufacturing tractors)
Detroit,MI - Changchun,China (Changchun is called "China's Detroit" because of its role in automobile production)
Minneapolis,MN/St. Paul,MN - Blagoveshchensk,Russia/Heihe,China (Cold cities that are right across the river from one another. European and Asian influences)
Boulder,Co - Lhasa, Tibet(Cities located in the mountains. Bhuddist influences. Boulder has Naropa University, the only Bhuddist university in the USA. A sizeable Tibetan population resides in Boulder)

Old 03-10-2009, 09:26 PM

I am back again. I have been thinking about the best matches for some of Florida's cities(Miami, St. Petersburg, Tampa). For some reason, Manila,Philipines always comes up. A city with Spanish and Catholic influences.

New Orleans, on the other hand, I was able to come up with not only Manila, but Hanoi(Vietnam) and Shanghai(China).

Biloxi,MS - Macau, China(Coastal cities with subtropical climates and gambling)

Old 03-13-2009, 04:57 AM

6,563 posts, read 12,054,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chevin5 View Post
Yokohama and San Diego

(except for weather and palm trees)
Actually come to think of it, you could compare Yokohama with San Diego. Both are sister cities for one thing, both are port cities in a harbor, and both are suburban-like cities that tend to get overshadowed by the mega-cities that they are close to, Tokyo and Los Angeles, which are also similar to each other.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Actually come to think of it, you could compare Yokohama with San Diego. Both are sister cities for one thing, both are port cities in a harbor, and both are suburban-like cities that tend to get overshadowed by the mega-cities that they are close to, Tokyo and Los Angeles, which are also similar to each other.
That is understandable.

I have another one.

Boston, MA - Osaka, Japan (Both cities are overshadowed by their largest cities, especially in the sports scene. Osaka has a baseball team that is long loved but also known for being overshadowed and long-suffered by the richer Yomiuri Giants the same way the Boston Red Sox are often a long-suffered team and their rivals are the NY Yankees.)

Old 06-28-2010, 07:35 AM

6,563 posts, read 12,054,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
That is understandable.

I have another one.

Boston, MA - Osaka, Japan (Both cities are overshadowed by their largest cities, especially in the sports scene. Osaka has a baseball team that is long loved but also known for being overshadowed and long-suffered by the richer Yomiuri Giants the same way the Boston Red Sox are often a long-suffered team and their rivals are the NY Yankees.)
In that regard, you can also match Osaka with San Francisco, since the Dodgers and Giants (SF, not to be confused with Tokyo's, lol) have that similar rivalry. Also, Osaka is the urban core of the 2nd largest metro area in Japan, and is located by a bay and nearby two other large cities, Kobe and Kyoto, while SF has Oakland and San Jose nearby. Both are also known for their seafood.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:38 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,158 times
New York with tokyo or hong kong

Old 06-30-2010, 08:59 PM

211 posts, read 566,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
New York with tokyo or hong kong
I think, NY and HK are fairly good matches...however, I think in the next few decades, Beijing is going to eclipse HK and Tokyo to be the next NY of Asia. I don't think the Chinese are going to allow HK to outshine BJ on the international scene much longer. The money that is being poured into making BJ a world class city is staggering.

Scott

Old 07-01-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonreadhead View Post
I think, NY and HK are fairly good matches...however, I think in the next few decades, Beijing is going to eclipse HK and Tokyo to be the next NY of Asia. I don't think the Chinese are going to allow HK to outshine BJ on the international scene much longer. The money that is being poured into making BJ a world class city is staggering.

Scott
I don't know, I would liken Beijing to Chicago. I would say HK and NYC are perfect matches(with the exception of the climate and terrain). Beijing is a major rail hub. Like Chicago, Beijing has made a transition into a post-industrial society.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:43 PM

211 posts, read 566,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I don't know, I would liken Beijing to Chicago. I would say HK and NYC are perfect matches(with the exception of the climate and terrain). Beijing is a major rail hub. Like Chicago, Beijing has made a transition into a post-industrial society.
Essentially, BJ is the NY and Washington of China. I think BJ has surpassed Chicago. I do firmly believe that BJ will be the future.

I think HK is a great place. But, I think NY has much more to offer. I think HK and San Francisco are more evenly matched.

I don't think any city in Asia really matches NY's cachet or buzz. However, HK would probably be the closest.

Scott
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia