Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 05:18 PM

149 posts, read 262,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
It's actually really simple.

While I do not believe there is some divine force holding everything together, I'm not quite ready to proclaim myself an atheist and close off even the slightest possibility.

Basically, I am still leaving myself slightly open to new theories.
Finally! Me too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 03:49 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
Most atheists claim "no belief" in gods, not knowledge that there are no gods. There is a difference.
Exactly, they say God does not exist...that they believe there is no God.

I cannot form a belief, without having the knowledge or proof of it. Since I don't have the knowledge, there is very little I can believe. I also don't DISbelieve...because I don't know it to be false either.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:50 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,224,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Exactly, they say God does not exist...that they believe there is no God.

I cannot form a belief, without having the knowledge or proof of it. Since I don't have the knowledge, there is very little I can believe. I also don't DISbelieve...because I don't know it to be false either.
If you cannot form a belief, then you are without a belief! Being without a belief (in gods) makes you by definition, an atheist. You do not even have to have heard of the word "god", to be considered an atheist. You just have to have no belief. You do not have to "dis"-believe in gods (believe that gods do not exist) to be an atheist, you just have to be without the belief that gods do exist. The fact that you do not hold a belief (that gods do exist) does not mean that you must therefore hold the opposite belief (that gods do not exist).

Old 04-05-2011, 12:47 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
How can you not reach one of those two conclusions?
Easy. I don't presume to "know".

I might have a tendency to think certain things are probably true, but that's quite different from all those people who will tell you they "know".

Old 04-05-2011, 12:50 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times
Quote:
The fact that I do not deny the possibility, that I also lack NON-belief, as well as belief, means I am simply agnostic. I refuse to make a commitment on a belief continuum one way or the other.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
If you cannot form a belief, then you are without a belief! Being without a belief (in gods) makes you by definition, an atheist. You do not even have to have heard of the word "god", to be considered an atheist. You just have to have no belief. You do not have to "dis"-believe in gods (believe that gods do not exist) to be an atheist, you just have to be without the belief that gods do exist. The fact that you do not hold a belief (that gods do exist) does not mean that you must therefore hold the opposite belief (that gods do not exist).
To be atheist, I would have to disbelieve. I don't disbelieve either. I am completely neutral on a belief continuum. I'm on neither end of that spectrum.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:13 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,210,451 times
Quote:
To be atheist, I would have to disbelieve. I don't disbelieve either. I am completely neutral on a belief continuum. I'm on neither end of that spectrum.
I sort of agree with, except the specifics of a god, as ascribed by believers is hard to resolve with the facts of nature. Eg, what kind of loving god would invent "eat and be eaten" or cancer, or disease etc.,? What kind of perfect creator would have such massive flaws in its work such as the appendix, cancer, genetic diseases, etc.? I would have to call it "not-very-intelligent-design"!

Accordingly, while I am not absolutely certain there is no god, I feel the odds of it are so remote as to be almost non-existant.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
No, you are leaving off the only definition that applies to all atheists: they lack a belief in god. They have no belief.
atheist
unbeliever in God or deities: somebody who does not believe in God or deities

atheist definition - Dictionary - MSN Encarta

unbelief
lack of belief: lack of religious or political belief

unbelief definition - Dictionary - MSN Encarta

What you keep referring to is disbelief which is defined as follows:
disbelief
feeling of not believing: the feeling of not believing or of not being able to believe somebody or something

disbelief definition - Dictionary - MSN Encarta

You do not have to disbelieve something (feel that you are not able to believe what somebody is telling you) to lack a belief in it. There are hundreds of gods that I lack a belief in. I know a little about some of these religions, but the majority I don't know anything about. I lack belief in these religions because I do not know anything about them and have no reason to hold a belief in them. This does not mean that I actively disbelieve in these gods, just that I lack a belief in them (atheist).

Old 04-06-2011, 01:40 AM

If you disbelieve, then you lack belief. And vice versa.

I don't disbelieve. Yet I don't believe either.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
If you disbelieve, then you lack belief. And vice versa.

I don't disbelieve. Yet I don't believe either.
It doesn't matter. The part in red is what makes you by definition an atheist. You don't have to "disbelieve".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism