Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2013, 10:17 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
Your animosity is showing. They weren't recreated because doing all of this was partly to show the faithfulness of Noah. I would say there were not nearly as many types of creatures on Earth at that time.
All the animals you see today already existed when Noah supposedly lived. That was something like 8000 years ago.

Quote:
Many of the creatures we have now, I would think, probably came from interbreading among existing animals. All of the sea creatures were not on board, I would say anyway.

Charles Sands
There is no evidence of what you claim.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Embryos? They took embryos, not animals who were full grown?
You're kidding - right?

Old 02-07-2013, 10:39 AM

Talking Absurd story.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
I'm sure major floods were devastating and scary, just as they are now. And there were no planes to oversee the damage back then so it may have seemed that "the whole world" was wiped out, their area was their world. So it makes sense that all cultures have a flood story or two. I bet someone took some animals in a raft or boat to save them...but the rest was added for shock value. There is no way animals can live wthout food for 40 days and nights.
According to the bible, it was 150 days. That's along time to go without food and water for all those millions of living creatures including Noah and his family. By 150 days, everything on earth that was terrestrial would be dead. Nothing for the animals, birds etc to eat. No vegetation... nothing but stinking rotting slimy mud and decomposing corpses. Even the earthworms would have drowned.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post

Ah see now I think you are making stuff up.

If you want to see the real message of Jesus, look to how the first century Christians lived, feeding the poor, helping people get back on their feet, practicing strong family values (as we would call it today).
Did you miss this when you read the bible cover-to-cover? Who would want such family values?

Luke 14:26

New International Version (©1984)
"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters--yes, even his own life--he cannot be my disciple.New Living Translation (©2007)
"If you want to be my disciple, you must hate everyone else by comparison--your father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters--yes, even your own life. Otherwise, you cannot be my disciple.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:56 PM

694 posts, read 745,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Why are you making "right" or "left" assertions as if the right is analogous with someone who believes the Bible? The two party system is a sham, and is only there to keep people divided. The people at top on both "sides" are in bed with one another. I would be embarrassed to be associated with anything political in this country.

As to Noah's ark. I don't know how God did it, but if anyone can make it happen, it would have to be the maker of all things.
I agree with your view of right and left. It is a sham. it reminds me of a cartoon I saw once where several people where in a boat, at both ends of the boat. One end were Dems and the other Reps. There was a leak near one end of the boat. One side said "I'm glad the leak is at their end!" lol

Charles Sands

Old 02-23-2013, 08:17 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Quote:
Your animosity is showing. They weren't recreated because doing all of this was partly to show the faithfulness of Noah. I would say there were not nearly as many types of creatures on Earth at that time. Many of the creatures we have now, I would think, probably came from interbreading among existing animals. All of the sea creatures were not on board, I would say anyway.

Charles Sands
"All of the sea creatures were not on board, I would say anyway."

Oh. So where were they all then? Down cavorting in the ocean, havin' a gay old time post fludd? And your qualifications as a marine biologist are what again?

You do understand the absolutely critical importance of the salinity of the aquatic environment to it's inhabitants, right? Not to mention that the most predominant food source for the animals at the bottom of the food chain (i.e.: deer, antelope, rodents, and so on...) is plant food. Now, which plants, the ones that Noah could not have POSSIBLY have brought on board and then hope to successfully re-seed laster, would have been summarily killed off by inundation under semi-saline water for, what was it? 18 months?

Not to mention that for all those "waving amber fields of grain" would have taken at least 4 - 6 months of spring and summer season to rejuvenate back to being ...oh well.. what's the point of pursuing this argument? I'm dealing with the frantically faithful and technically illiterate!)

So... are you going to just hand-wave all that off? Just curious.

(PS: If you do get into this debate with me, on a technical basis, I'll just let you know now, ahead of time, that I'll quickly put your arument away, all to the point that a global inundation fludd would, in fact, kill off everything, plant or animal, that had to try to then exist in the resulting new intermixed fresh and saline ecosystem.

You don't agree? Then go down to your local tropical pet store and ask if you can drop a mere half-cup of sea salt into one of the tanks full of fresh-water fishies. PS: have your Amex card at hand first!)

Old 02-23-2013, 09:12 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,111,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Did you miss this when you read the bible cover-to-cover? Who would want such family values?

Luke 14:26

New International Version (©1984)
"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters--yes, even his own life--he cannot be my disciple.New Living Translation (©2007)
"If you want to be my disciple, you must hate everyone else by comparison--your father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters--yes, even your own life. Otherwise, you cannot be my disciple.
I personally saw this passage manifesting (manifestering?) during the 70s when some close friends got the jesus-freak-brainslave, born-again lightning-bolt and they instantly refused to communicate (for years) with their good, loving families.

Last edited by Tantalust; 02-23-2013 at 10:06 AM..

Old 02-23-2013, 09:22 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
Christian faith assumes "nothing is impossible with God". Since God can create the universe, what else is there that is so hard. Christianity assumes God does miracles all through the Bible, Creation, healing sick people, raising the dead, taking Elijah into heaven, the incarnation and the resurrection of Christ. It takes faith to believe that God can do whatever He wants. God can create water to flood the earth and then take it away. If you don't believe, that's up to you.

I should add that, from what I've read, most ancient cultures had a "flood story" in their history. Makes sense since they all descended from Noah.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:33 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
"All of the sea creatures were not on board, I would say anyway."

Oh. So where were they all then? Down cavorting in the ocean, havin' a gay old time post fludd? And your qualifications as a marine biologist are what again?

You do understand the absolutely critical importance of the salinity of the aquatic environment to it's inhabitants, right? Not to mention that the most predominant food source for the animals at the bottom of the food chain (i.e.: deer, antelope, rodents, and so on...) is plant food. Now, which plants, the ones that Noah could not have POSSIBLY have brought on board and then hope to successfully re-seed laster, would have been summarily killed off by inundation under semi-saline water for, what was it? 18 months?

Not to mention that for all those "waving amber fields of grain" would have taken at least 4 - 6 months of spring and summer season to rejuvenate back to being ...oh well.. what's the point of pursuing this argument? I'm dealing with the frantically faithful and technically illiterate!)

So... are you going to just hand-wave all that off? Just curious.

(PS: If you do get into this debate with me, on a technical basis, I'll just let you know now, ahead of time, that I'll quickly put your arument away, all to the point that a global inundation fludd would, in fact, kill off everything, plant or animal, that had to try to then exist in the resulting new intermixed fresh and saline ecosystem.

You don't agree? Then go down to your local tropical pet store and ask if you can drop a mere half-cup of sea salt into one of the tanks full of fresh-water fishies. PS: have your Amex card at hand first!)
Nice post Rife; I recall a post on this long ago, in another forum, far away...where it was hotly debated whether sea -creatures would need to be on the Ark or could manage well enough in the sea. There was debate about sea - birds, air -breathing sea -mammals, freshwater fish and the effect of a general mix of salt and fresh water to which neither sea nor freshwater fish are adapted (1) However, what we find is that the Devonian deposits of millions of years of sea- creatures is presented as evidence of a flood piling up all that fossil fish in less than a year. If that is the case, it's clear that the flood wasn't exactly Seaworld in summer for the scaly and shelled.

Thus it would seem to be inescapable that two of each kind of fish, sea -arthropod, worm, crustacean, squid, starfish and Jelly-bell together with seal, porpoise and -whoopee - Whale, all had to file on board, including the prehistoric ones of course as we all know the Dinosaurs had to be on the Ark, according to the Creation Institute.

I might also note that the same problem applies to space -saving embryos as to Dinosaur eggs; how would Noah's collectors know whether they had one of each? Shells are not stamped His and hers, nor do embryos come in a handy identifying pink and blue. Again, the more they try to fiddle the facts to try to make this utterly unfeasible fairy - tale work, the more problems they create for themselves.(2)

(1) It was pointed out that Salmon and Eels spend time in both sea and river, but perhaps there is a metabolic change. You may know the answer to that.

(2) of course, any temptation to reach for the magic wand elicits a crack across the knuckles. 'Ah, ah! As soon as God has to do some magic to make the shambolic hypothesis work, the whole Flood and ark becomes pointless as God could just Do It without all that hassle'.
No,no, no,it really, really, really is a totally absurd story and grown men who drive cars and vote wrote books trying to prove that it could be true! It beats me.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:39 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
So, no one has value if they believe in things I cannot prove imperically?

Charles Sands
You can have value as a person and still be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism