Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 04:26 AM

526 posts, read 691,990 times

Advertisements

Actually atheists believe in religion.

Religion exists!
It is God the non-existent one, not the religion.

Well… agnostics!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 07:49 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtango View Post
Actually atheists believe in religion.

Religion exists!
It is God the non-existent one, not the religion.

Well… agnostics!!
Yes,yes, cheap semantic technical point scored. Enjoy it while you can. There won't me many of them.

Of course atheists do not say that there is no religion. Religion exists as a subject as fairies and orcs exist as characters in books. Atheists do not believe in the validity and claims of religion, and dtango knows this well enough. The point of a one -line rejoinder is, like a one line joke, to get the response quick before you lose the audience. With a biased audience, you have about two -three seconds to get the point across before the shutters come down.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Yes,yes, cheap semantic technical point scored.
One point scored is one point scored and you know by now that I would attack agnostics when and where the occasion arises.

The point here, however, is atheism as a faith. Do you regard it, as of course I do, as your faith or not?
Let me guess….

You do not! If you did you would have to be faithful to it and your agnosticism won’t let you.

Another point is: do you think atheism has political implications? I mean do you think that one can be at the same time an atheist and a right wing extremist?
Do you agree that theists and anti-theists have been two political parties from time immemorial?

Old 03-04-2013, 01:34 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,276,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
Despite what many claim, it's absolutely a faith! It's a clinging many times to science and what can be seen or proven as fact. But for many of it's followers it leaves very little room for what can't be seen. I'm not saying that's for everyone. With all things there's exceptions (spiritual atheism as an example). But it's a faith imo.
I disagree.
What "followers" of atheism?
There's absolutely nothing to follow.
Your post makes no sense.

Quote:
I suggest the following answer to that Dr. Laura’s answer:

“I believe what the data lead me to believe”

Examining the data available for the God issue won’t be to the liking of any believer.

Atheism (not so agnosticism) is a faith, but not in a religious sense (after all, all “isms” have to do with faith too).
You're wrong.
Atheism is not a faith.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You're wrong.
Atheism is not a faith.
How can I be wrong? I am an atheist and regard atheism a faith.

Are you an atheist?
I very much doubt it!

Old 03-04-2013, 10:35 PM

33,529 posts, read 37,130,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
Despite what many claim, it's absolutely a faith! It's a clinging many times to science and what can be seen or proven as fact.
faith is not needed when there is evidence.
Quote:
But for many of it's followers it leaves very little room for what can't be seen.
Followers? What followers? What is there to follow? Do you not understand that atheism simply means we do not believe in any higher power?
Quote:
I'm not saying that's for everyone. With all things there's exceptions (spiritual atheism as an example). But it's a faith imo.
Well your opinion is worthless since you do not even know what atheism is....I repeat, atheism simply means we do not believe in any higher power. Believing in gods takes faith...Faith is firm belief in something for which there is no tangible proof.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:41 PM

33,529 posts, read 37,130,597 times
Quote:
How can I be wrong? I am an atheist and regard atheism a faith.

Are you an atheist?
I very much doubt it!
So tell me how is not believing something a faith? Are you quite sure you know what the word means?

Old 03-04-2013, 11:48 PM

194 posts, read 300,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainelander View Post
As an atheist I have found that while it is all well and good to look down on religion, it is becoming more and more evident that there is a vocal minority (well i hope it's a minority!) of atheists who seem to have just chosen to be atheist without any actual reasoning or reason to do so.

What i mean is they are atheist not because they feel strongly in the concept and ideals but because it was a coin toss.

They will be quick to rant and rave "it's science!" but have no actual experience in observation and accept the opinions of others with as much belief as if their were fundamentalists standing before a preacher.

Anyone else experience this?
Yes, there is a growing body of sociological evidence on this sort of thing. There was a documentary on this I watched a while back, but alas I can't remember it's name. It compared Richard Dawkins to a fundamentalist preacher, atheists became outraged (self fulfilling prophecy anyone)

Old 03-05-2013, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
So tell me how is not believing something a faith?
I said I have a faith. I didn’t say I do not believe.

I actually, honestly and truly believe that God is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktothefuture View Post
Yes, there is a growing body of sociological evidence on this sort of thing. There was a documentary on this I watched a while back, but alas I can't remember it's name. It compared Richard Dawkins to a fundamentalist preacher, atheists became outraged (self fulfilling prophecy anyone)
I think you mean Peter Higgs criticises Richard Dawkins over anti-religious 'fundamentalism'.
It is quite funny to accuse Dawkins, an agnostic, for being an atheistic fundamentalist but Higgs is a believer, he believes that science and religion should conciliate and therefore it is rather natural to regard an agnostic as a fundamentalist atheist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism