Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 10:58 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,524,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
And what science do I accept everyday?
By using your computer, I suspect you accept quantum physics and information theory.

If you've ever received a flu shot, you also accept evolutionary theory, whether you realize it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I think You and I have been around this merry go round before, dont you? lol. Its been proven factual to scientists that are looking to make it factual. Not all scientist agree that is has been proven, or there would be no need for debate in the scientific community.
There is no debate in the scientific community. The debate, as always, is between science and religion.

Why have you ignored what I wrote? Do you understand the difference in meaning of "fact" and "theory" as used by science?

Old 11-16-2007, 11:03 AM

109 posts, read 205,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1100 View Post
No doubt it's easy if you are Welsh eh Teva? I am I right in thinking that the name means " the Mary church near the hazel trees"?
You are almost right! The village used to be called Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll which means "The Mary church by the pool near the white hazels." In the 19th century, it was given it's present name which translates as "St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the church of St Tysilio of the red cave." We just call it Llanfair PG....to avoid spitting over everyone.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:04 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
By using your computer, I suspect you accept quantum physics and information theory.

If you've ever received a flu shot, you also accept evolutionary theory, whether you realize it or not.
Ive never received a flu shot..ok I wont go there,
I quote..Moreover, "fact" doesn't mean "absolute certainty"; - Stephen J. Gould, " Evolution as Fact and Theory"; Discover, May 1981

I didnt say it..to me a fact is something that Cannot be refuted..

Old 11-16-2007, 11:06 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,382,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teva View Post
You are almost right! The village used to be called Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll which means "The Mary church by the pool near the white hazels." In the 19th century, it was given it's present name which translates as "St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the church of St Tysilio of the red cave." We just call it Llanfair PG....to avoid spitting over everyone.
Wow. Cool. I thought you had just randomly pressed a lot of keys.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Ive never received a flu shot..ok I wont go there,
I quote..Moreover, "fact" doesn't mean "absolute certainty"; - Stephen J. Gould, " Evolution as Fact and Theory"; Discover, May 1981

I didnt say it..to me a fact is something that Cannot be refuted..
It doesn't matter what "fact" means to you. It matters what "fact" means to science. If you wish to discuss science, it matters that you understand the meaning of scientific terms.

A fact, in science, is a piece of data acquired through observation. It is a fact that, when I turned the ignition key yesterday afternoon, my car started. It is a fact that, every single time I have turned the ignition key, my car has started. It is also a fact that my car is a machine, and as a machine, there may come a time when turning the ignition will not start my car. Thanks to observation (and science), I know what to do in such a case, because the repairing of cars has been observed as factual.

That allele frequency changes over time in a population of organisms (evolution) has also been observed as fact. Since evolution is a natural phenomenon, we can expect it to continue, just as we expect objects to continue to fall to the ground, water to freeze at 32° F, and the sun to radiate heat.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:24 AM

109 posts, read 205,065 times
Quote:
Because I believe the Genesis account of creation. And what science do I accept everyday?
I'll leave you to ponder that one for awhile. I'm sure you will manage to think of one or two.....thousand!

Old 11-16-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
It doesn't matter what "fact" means to you. It matters what "fact" means to science. If you wish to discuss science, it matters that you understand the meaning of scientific terms.

A fact, in science, is a piece of data acquired through observation. It is a fact that, when I turned the ignition key yesterday afternoon, my car started. It is a fact that, every single time I have turned the ignition key, my car has started. It is also a fact that my car is a machine, and as a machine, there may come a time when turning the ignition will not start my car. Thanks to observation (and science), I know what to do in such a case, because the repairing of cars has been observed as factual.

That allele frequency changes over time in a population of organisms (evolution) has also been observed as fact. Since evolution is a natural phenomenon, we can expect it to continue, just as we expect objects to continue to fall to the ground, water to freeze at 32° F, and the sun to radiate heat.
but it does matter to me..its my belief thank you..I was asked why I believed what I did, and as usual my ideas are ponced on..actually lets say my "lack" of ideas.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1100 View Post
I'll leave you to ponder that one for awhile. I'm sure you will manage to think of one or two.....thousand!
I thought maybe you had one specifically in mind.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
but it does matter to me..its my belief thank you..I was asked why I believed what I did, and as usual my ideas are ponced on..actually lets say my "lack" of ideas.
I don't think you're understanding me.

Yes, your beliefs are important to you, but if you want to discuss a subject, you must understand the terminology.

I could say that I don't believe in the Christian God because the Christian God is a two-ton gorilla, and gorillas don't grow to that size. Regardless of my belief that God is a two-ton gorilla, I could not have any meaningful discussion about this God because I don't understand the meaning of "Christian God."

You seem to be using the term "fact" improperly as it pertains to science. Therefore, regardless of what you believe a fact to be, any discussion of science would be fruitless and frustrating. Unless, of course, you accept the scientific meaning of "fact" (and probably "theory" as well) and use the term appropriately.

Misuse of these terms is quite common among the general populace, but I don't understand the persistent misapplication of these terms even after they have been explained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism