Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 02:21 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,214,360 times

Advertisements

I try to be tolerant. Really, I do. For the most part, I feel that if people believe in a deity or belong to a religion, as long as they aren't trying to turn their beliefs into the law of the land for the rest of us, that's their business.

But when I see things that testify to the great and vast capacity of certain among humanity to throw all reason, logic, and science to the wind, I will admit, here among the comfort and safety of fellow atheists, that I have to gnash my teeth.

Faithful flocking to Indiana church to view ‘miracle’ | WGN-TV

It both frustrates and frightens me that some people in this day and age are so willing to pronounce something that is absolutely ordinary and readily explained to be the act of a deity. I mean, come on, now. Condensation will leave a streak on your toilet bowl if you don't clean your bathroom regularly.

Granted, I do not spend a lot of time pondering this, but when I see it on the news, it trips my wire. It gets me to thinking about people like this in a voting booth, deciding what will be taught in science classrooms, advocating for legislation based on their superstitions, and so on.

What, if anything, tests your tolerance as an atheist?

Last edited by Lilac110; 04-10-2014 at 02:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 03:00 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,802,867 times
Living in the deep south, pretty much everything tests my tolerance as an atheist.

You name it, it happens here.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:07 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,792,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Living in the deep south, pretty much everything tests my tolerance as an atheist.

Haha! I am so glad I moved north of the Mason Dixon. There are things I miss about the south, and there are some wonderful people, but living there after I left the church just kept me on edge...

-NoCapo

Old 04-10-2014, 03:07 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,214,360 times
Quote:

That's certainly understandable. I couldn't live there. Northern Virginia is about as far south as I'll go.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:21 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,830,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
What, if anything, tests your tolerance as an atheist?
I don't worry too much about people believing nonsensical things. Saying nonsensical things, trying to spread their nonsense, is another matter. But then, such is freedom.

My intolerance kicks in when policy decisions start being made and laws start being enacted based on profoundly ignorant bronze age scribblings.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:26 PM

322 posts, read 779,557 times
What tests my tolerance is when my Dad leaves exorcisms on my voice mail. Hear one here:

Music and Podcast

I post them because he's a raging, abusive christian.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
What tests my tolerance is when my Dad leaves exorcisms on my voice mail. Hear one here:

Music and Podcast

I post them because he's a raging, abusive christian.
Can't listen to it but I bet it's a lot like how my Dad used to behave, haven't spoken to him in 13 years if that tells you anything.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
That's certainly understandable. I couldn't live there. Northern Virginia is about as far south as I'll go.
Yeah it's not the place for an atheist. I was trying to think of some things that really chap my hide, here's a few:

• Forced to live partially in the closet about my disbelief due to worrying about the physical and emotional well-being of others if they knew
  • The phrases that even I cannot stop saying...."bless you" when someone sneezes, "I'll pray for you" , "please pray for me and my family", "what church do you go to?" (that's my personal favorite) and so on and let's not forget my ever favorite thing to say----THANK GAWD!!!!!!
  • Cannot escape it, it's everywhere. No joke, every single intersection within several miles of me has a least one church, if not two or more. Every member of my family is fundamental Christian so they don't know. I've put out feelers about how they might feel about a non-believer or (gasp) atheist and it was not pretty. I'm scared.
  • The complete and utterly ridiculous hypocrisy of it all, southern Baptists are the biggest bunch of drunks around but come Sunday everyone slams anyone else who admits to drinking and begin to perform exorcisms. Ok, that might be an exaggeration but damn.
I'd just like to reiterate the THIRD one......IT'S FREAKING EVERYWHERE!!!!

Ok, I'm done. Maybe.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:17 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,216,561 times
I have no complaints really. I just don't allow religion or their ilk to exist in my world. If THEY voluntarily come in contact with me, then I make sure to give them a unpleasant experience.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
I have no complaints really. I just don't allow religion or their ilk to exist in my world. If THEY voluntarily come in contact with me, then I make sure to give them a unpleasant experience.
Wow.....really? It's hard for me to envision a real life situation where religion wasn't front and center, lucky you. I need to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism