Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2016, 03:10 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,214,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I enjoy researching these things, but still, a creator (of some sort) makes sense.
It could make sense. Until you realize that the creator could have also been created.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 04:54 PM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
You really think "nothing" makes more sense than a creator (of some sort)? Seriously?
A lot of scientific discoveries have been made that don't "make sense" to typical human experience - especially after the discoveries of relativity and quantum mechanics.

Matter spontaneously coming into existence and going out of existence is one of them. That is happening everywhere all of the time.

In fact, I don't think it is even known whether there is a distinction between something and nothing. These are relative concepts that are constructs of our minds. From a scientific standpoint, nothing cannot be shown to exist anywhere, because even empty space is literally made up of matter.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:25 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
As I said, we do not yet know.

As with thunder, the Black Plague, the coming of summer and winter and UV-induced cancer, it's likely that some day we will indeed know the natural cause.

Why can't a creator be the source of the natural cause? Why do you reject that?

Old 07-06-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
What sparked God?

If there was nothing and there was always God, why do you not agree that it's possible for something to "just" exist?

If God just "became," why do you not agree that it's possible for the universe to "just become" and for life to "just become"?
I never said God; you did. I said creator (of some sort).

Perhaps that something is our creator, no?

Old 07-06-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Where did God come from, Jimmie?

This may be the fourth time I've asked you. Possibly the third.

Where did God come from?
The same place eternal matter came from. Perhaps our creator (eternal matter) exists outside of time.

*What god are you speaking of?

Old 07-06-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
That's just another way of asking what came "before" the BB -- which, as I've already indicated, can readily be "there IS no before". The BB may well be birthed from another part of the multiverse, and/or is simply cyclic.

Another aspect of this is that you are reflexively demanding an answer, whether or not a definitive and justified one can be produced, which will lead back to your declaration that there "must" be "something". The real situation is that there "may or may not" be "something" but rather than engage in sheer speculation we seek actual data that will tell us whether there is something and if so, what it is. We all must learn to accept and sit with uncertainty where it actually exists. Otherwise you end up making up things (or borrowing other people's speculative ideas) to fill gaps.
IMO, a creator makes sense. "Nothing" is illogical. Not sure why you reject the idea of a creator. Did you have a bad experience with religion?

Old 07-06-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Again. Who created the creator if "everything has a source"? There is no thing as a anti religion bias. There is only a religious bias. YOu saying that the universe sparking out of nothing just highlights your lack of knowledge of science. There are theories that point to answers of what created the universe and if the universe even needs a creator that are above your head. To compensate for this your plug in "God" and "religion" to fill in the blanks.
Perhaps the idea of a creator is "above your head".

Old 07-06-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
It could make sense. Until you realize that the creator could have also been created.
How far back do we have to go? Are you promoting infinite causation?

Old 07-06-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
A lot of scientific discoveries have been made that don't "make sense" to typical human experience - especially after the discoveries of relativity and quantum mechanics.

Matter spontaneously coming into existence and going out of existence is one of them. That is happening everywhere all of the time.

In fact, I don't think it is even known whether there is a distinction between something and nothing. These are relative concepts that are constructs of our minds. From a scientific standpoint, nothing cannot be shown to exist anywhere, because even empty space is literally made up of matter.

I have no problem with the idea of "nothing", but nothing can't start something.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:39 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
The same place eternal matter came from. Perhaps our creator (eternal matter) exists outside of time.

*What god are you speaking of?
The same place eternal matter came from...what do you mean by eternal matter?

I am speaking of any God, any "intelligent designer", including your semantic version, "creator."

What is "eternal matter"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism