Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2016, 10:25 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Not a scientific cause, but rather a natural cause. Science explains it. But again, what sparked it?
As I said, we do not yet know.

As with thunder, the Black Plague, the coming of summer and winter and UV-induced cancer, it's likely that some day we will indeed know the natural cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
What sparked the Big Bang, if there was nothing?
What sparked God?

If there was nothing and there was always God, why do you not agree that it's possible for something to "just" exist?

If God just "became," why do you not agree that it's possible for the universe to "just become" and for life to "just become"?

Old 07-06-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
A creator is the only logical conclusion, at this point. Everything has a source. To say "nothing" sparked the universe is nonsensical. Your anti-religion bias won't allow you to see this.
Absolutely not, and indeed, this has never been true.

For the "why did such-and-such happen?" questions that have plagued mankind since its beginning - life and death, illness, natural disasters, natural beauty - "a creator is the only logical conclusion" has not panned out.

Indeed, science has explained all of the natural causes of all these things. No giant Holy Pointed Finger was found under the microscopes or at the ends of telescopes, but natural processes were.

At one time, supernatural wrath was blamed for all sorts of things that we can now view and even replicate under laboratory conditions.

So no, a creator is absolutely not the only logical conclusion; indeed, given the above, it isn't even in the top 10 or so of logical conclusions.

Quote:
I enjoy researching these things, but still, a creator (of some sort) makes sense.
I've asked this before (and so has someone else on this thread), but you haven't answered yet. Where did the creator come from?

Old 07-06-2016, 10:31 AM

20,439 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Absolutely not, and indeed, this has never been true.

For the "why did such-and-such happen?" questions that have plagued mankind since its beginning - life and death, illness, natural disasters, natural beauty - "a creator is the only logical conclusion" has not panned out.

Indeed, science has explained all of the natural causes of all these things. No giant Holy Pointed Finger was found under the microscopes or at the ends of telescopes, but natural processes were.

At one time, supernatural wrath was blamed for all sorts of things that we can now view and even replicate under laboratory conditions.

So no, a creator is absolutely not the only logical conclusion; indeed, given the above, it isn't even in the top 10 or so of logical conclusions.
Nonsense! What you're describing is what has happened since the beginning, not the source.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Nonsense! What you're describing is what has happened since the beginning, not the source.
Where did God come from, Jimmie?

This may be the fourth time I've asked you. Possibly the third.

Where did God come from?

Old 07-06-2016, 10:56 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Let me pinch -hit for jimmie, because until you understand the opposite argument, you cannot effectively judge it let alone response to it. And also I doubt that he is now going to respond to my posts, because he knows his tactic has been countered.

You track back along the evolutionary line to abiogenesis, the formation of the earth, solar system, back to galaxies and stars, the universe and the Big Bang, which does have supportive evidence. Supposing all that is given credit, what caused the Big bang? We can now go back to quantum foam or the Higgs -Boson field. Effectively a matter -Chaos out of which the Big Bang ball was composed.

Who did all that? Who made the Stuff in the first place? No matter how far back you go, First Cause has to have got the sequence of events started off. So, as they say - who started off First cause? It is very convenient (and persuasive - though I don't know whether intrinsically or of through having is dinned into me) to simply say that something started it all off that didn't itself need to be started off.

It is also intuitive to suppose that this thing had enough smarts to say "Go". and that given everything that was going to happen, is not only a cosmic -sized smarts, but a knowledge of everything that is going to happen (1). If that isn't a god, and indeed a monotheistic god, I don't know what is.

This seems so much the most "obvious " (TM ) answer that hypothetical mumblings about 'perhaps it came from nothing" just sound like unbelievers trying to find some excuse Not To Believe. But there are reasons why some alternative to Goddunnit have to be a fair alternative.

Just where did that cosmic mind come from? To say that a Mind could exist in NOTHING with the capacity to know everything that would happen and plan it ahead and execute it - and that without any origin at all, is absurd in the highest degree. To claim that it was always there is really no better. In fact "God" has no explanation to a serious logical objection.

On the other hand, Something from Nothing only has two objections: it has never been observed (which is not the same as saying it never happens) and it is against science and reason. That is a bit of a hoot from those who always say that science is always changing its mind. In fact something may not now come from nothing just as life does not now seem to come from non -life or indeed amphibians from fish. But that doesn't mean that it couldn't or didn't happen back when conditions were very different.

I don't know how much it coincides with current thought in physics or cosmology, but the answer seems to be the same - find where they meet. then there isn't much of a change to be done. If you can have a nothing that is so nothing that it is actually Not unreasonable to postulate that it didn't need to be created, and then have it acting like it was something (and the illusion of matter is very much like that) then you have all you need for your quantum foam or Higgs -boson -field.

So at worst you have a theory that is at least an alternative to a Creator (and you can see the Intent to Do loaded in that there term) and in fact it doesn't suffer from serious objections .

On top of that, you have circumstantial or indirect evidence. If the whole shebang was made, then there ought to be signs of it being made. Really there aren't that many. There are a few Constants, but there is an element of 'no other explanation' about them. But the other claims of order and complexity are invalid, from Fibonacci's series to the suggestion by (or at least pinned on) Hoyle, Jeans and Einstein that there must be a planning mind behind it.

That doesn't stand up. Really. Indeed I watched a you tube on why the cosmos isn't one that a mind would design. Can't remember any of it but there it was,

The objections such as origin of biochemicals and heavy elements is now explained (supernovae) and that incidentally disproves a 6 day universe (perlease! ) and the other nice little argument for God 'Zones of comfort or Goldilocks zone' - "it was done just right to enable humans to appear" fails when the evidence says that two major extinctions had to occur or we wouldn't be here. I know I mention in the foopnote below that the "Matrix" (or so I termed the concept before that bloody film swiped the title ) but surely it wouldn't have been necessary to do anything more than make man perfectly - just as it says in Genesis, in fact.

And if reason and evidence counts for anything, we were not made and evolution did a job with a few production flaws.

So, that is the case for and against and why I think, on balance, the Natural explanation is actually more feasible logically and evidentially. and Goddunnit is not.

And we didn't even need to ask "which God?"

(1) I can't resist putting the answer to the problem of Evil, prayer and free wills. We have all that, which was factored in before creation even started. That is why we still have free will even though God already knows what we decided. There you are, God -apologists, you can have that one for free.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:44 AM

19,990 posts, read 13,466,622 times
Quote:
What sparked the Big Bang, if there was nothing?
That's just another way of asking what came "before" the BB -- which, as I've already indicated, can readily be "there IS no before". The BB may well be birthed from another part of the multiverse, and/or is simply cyclic.

Another aspect of this is that you are reflexively demanding an answer, whether or not a definitive and justified one can be produced, which will lead back to your declaration that there "must" be "something". The real situation is that there "may or may not" be "something" but rather than engage in sheer speculation we seek actual data that will tell us whether there is something and if so, what it is. We all must learn to accept and sit with uncertainty where it actually exists. Otherwise you end up making up things (or borrowing other people's speculative ideas) to fill gaps.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:02 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,355,544 times
Quote:
A creator is the only logical conclusion, at this point. Everything has a source. To say "nothing" sparked the universe is nonsensical. Your anti-religion bias won't allow you to see this.
Again. Who created the creator if "everything has a source"? There is no thing as a anti religion bias. There is only a religious bias. YOu saying that the universe sparking out of nothing just highlights your lack of knowledge of science. There are theories that point to answers of what created the universe and if the universe even needs a creator that are above your head. To compensate for this your plug in "God" and "religion" to fill in the blanks.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:32 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,603,327 times
Quote:
Man, you got the big glass of cool aid jimmies.

What's the source of your god, jimmie?

Has your god an nothing exited at the exact same time jimmie?

Old 07-06-2016, 03:06 PM

11,367 posts, read 9,279,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Where did God come from, Jimmie?

This may be the fourth time I've asked you. Possibly the third.

Where did God come from?
I asked him too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism