Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2018, 09:15 PM

50,859 posts, read 24,359,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The question isn't valid to me. They believed in the same God I believe in. The Bible is just a collection of literature about God.
That statement isn't valid to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
I don't agree with any of that so I can't even respond to it.

Religion is like a language of symbols about God. I grew up in the Christian religion, therefore its the easiest one for me to be a part of.
So if you had grown up in India, you might be spouting Hindu scriptures as being correct?
Or in Laos, Buddhist scriptures as being correct?

Old 11-29-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
To me it's just a story with God as one of the main characters. So those questions don't even matter.
All that murdering doesn't matter??????????????????????????????????

Old 11-29-2018, 10:38 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,351,362 times
Quote:
The question isn't valid to me. They believed in the same God I believe in. The Bible is just a collection of literature about God.
Yes, literature that, to quote YOU, "are the personal thoughts of our ancient religious ancestors, nothing more." So by your own admission, this God that represents "the personal thoughts of our ancient religious ancestors, nothing more," also represents YOUR personal thoughts. In what way does this system of "make it up and declare it to be true" represent any sort of advancement in human knowledge? In the same way that the personal belief in Marduk, or Zeus, or Quetzalcoatl were nothing more than ancient imagination and make believe in action, and which ultimately represented NO advancement in human knowledge?

Where does this ongoing system of imaginary answers to questions which represented "the personal thoughts of our ancient religious ancestors," assumptions which lasted for thousands of years, which were accepted as true by ancient people who knew virtually NOTHING about the actual workings of the universe, get us? Exactly!

Where does make believe get us? NOWHERE!

Old 11-29-2018, 11:15 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
I don't agree with any of that so I can't even respond to it.

Religion is like a language of symbols about God. I grew up in the Christian religion, therefore its the easiest one for me to be a part of.
So you did understand it and you did respond. And it's pretty much what I thought - a sortagoddist who doesn't actually believe in the Bible but has a residual attachment to it.

Just as I have a residual attachment to Buddhism. Though I don't use it as a Symbol to give some meaning to a Prime Mover that is after all a but impersonal eh? And don't tell me you don't understand this.

But we are ganging up a bit so I'll leave you in the capable talons of me fellow satanspawn who have now got you sussed.

In a way, you are like our major sortgoddist, Mystic who doesn't believe the Bible any more than you do, but beleives what Jesus did as you do, sorta...don't you? But it'll be Good Stuff rather than proof of God, won't it. But a bit more..that Good stuff was inspired by God wasn't it. I mean, Jesus wasn't just some philosopher talking humanism, he was talking God.

So it's a way of making Christianity relevant when it isn't actually true. Mystic makes it a divine education. He worked out a system. The usual sortagoddist anything good Anywhere and any religion, Sortagod gets the credit. You may make Christianity not the Final Revelation as Mumph did, but just the one you like. It means, unlike Mystic, you don't have to do so much denial.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-29-2018 at 11:29 PM..

Old 11-30-2018, 03:38 AM

16,786 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
People used historical fiction to write about truth.
No, they write historical fiction about what they believe to be the truth.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:06 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
So you did understand it and you did respond. And it's pretty much what I thought - a sortagoddist who doesn't actually believe in the Bible but has a residual attachment to it.

Just as I have a residual attachment to Buddhism. Though I don't use it as a Symbol to give some meaning to a Prime Mover that is after all a but impersonal eh? And don't tell me you don't understand this.

But we are ganging up a bit so I'll leave you in the capable talons of me fellow satanspawn who have now got you sussed.

In a way, you are like our major sortgoddist, Mystic who doesn't believe the Bible any more than you do, but beleives what Jesus did as you do, sorta...don't you? But it'll be Good Stuff rather than proof of God, won't it. But a bit more..that Good stuff was inspired by God wasn't it. I mean, Jesus wasn't just some philosopher talking humanism, he was talking God.

So it's a way of making Christianity relevant when it isn't actually true. Mystic makes it a divine education. He worked out a system. The usual sortagoddist anything good Anywhere and any religion, Sortagod gets the credit. You may make Christianity not the Final Revelation as Mumph did, but just the one you like. It means, unlike Mystic, you don't have to do so much denial.
The truth is that humanism is faith. When an atheist sees true humanism at work that is what you actually seeing: Faith.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:14 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,117 times
Quote:
The truth is that humanism is faith. When an atheist sees true humanism at work that is what you actually seeing: Faith.
Yes, faith in the fellow man. This act can be viewed as altruism, but that's not necessarily so.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:22 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Yes, faith in the fellow man. This act can be viewed as altruism, but that's not necessarily so.
Selflessness. That's the word I was looking for. Altruism. True faith and humanism are about putting others above yourself, which can also be good for yourself and your own psychology. I often hear the anti-religious view is about "me" which is like hedonism. This is the heart of true religion. Maybe some fundamentalists understand that and take it too far and it goes haywire and turns into selfishness. But I think some secularists might not be acknowledging altruism enough sometimes.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:25 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
i won't guess what you don't explain. i won't even object that it's going off at a tangent and not answering whether what i suggested is right or not. Silence gives assent, as they say.

So Faith in what, and expecting what? And what's the difference between True Humanism and False Humanism?

Well you anticipated me.

Quote:
Selflessness. That's the word I was looking for. Altruism. True faith and humanism are about putting others above yourself, which can also be good for yourself and your own psychology. I often hear the anti-religious view is about "me" which is like hedonism. This is the heart of true religion. Maybe some fundamentalists understand that and take it too far and it goes haywire and turns into selfishness. But I think some secularists might not be acknowledging altruism enough sometimes.

Yes. Altruism, True altruism (not the fake stuff the Religious do to get brownie points with God) is the basis of Humanism. And you get lessons form the Bible, maybe. We can get them from anywhere, but Humanism considers all those lessons. They don't swallow them uncritically just because they are in a book.

So, again I'm seeing far more that we agree on than we disagree on, which is the same from Troutdude to Mystic, via you. Mystic and atheism fal out as he believes in a God -Plan. Why do you fall out with atheism? Because you believe that First-cause is putting ideas in our heads (or those pure of heart who are willing ti listen) and we don't? Is that it? You believe that we are somehow wrong-headed because we don't believe that all the stuff that pops into our heads in Inspired by the Universal Quantum field? Is this what's the problem? Is it the Mystic phd -thing that the Bible tells us that Jesus was stapled up by the Romans so we'd know what true Humanism was? Still wanting Humanism to jump to the Christian tune? Have we got to the nub of it?

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-30-2018 at 06:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism