Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 09:20 PM

242 posts, read 193,759 times

Advertisements

How do atheists regard gays and gay rights, such as marriage? I ask because the primary opposition from most seems to be a product of religious leanings/beliefs.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:29 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,185,982 times
I really don't care what kind of relationship people want to be in as long as everyone involved is a consenting adult.

No problem with gays, lesbians or bisexuals.

No problem with transgenders.

No problems with marriages that involve more than two people.

As long as it's only people over 18 and it's consensual, I really don't care.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:36 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,989,755 times
I fully support gay marriage and gay rights. Since I believe being gay is not a choice, we should all support the right for gays to marry just like heterosexuals can and have all the rights that others are afforded. I'm horrified by how bigoted and homophobic so many people are, and I am so glad I was not brought up that way. I may have grown up in an atheist household (which to many fundamental religious people would mean I was raised in an immoral situation,) but I was imbued with strong morals on how we should treat other people.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:42 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,477,743 times
I want to be clear and say that Atheism/Atheists are not a collective group of individuals with the same ideological venues and ideas. Atheism is not really an ideology, a philosophy or a religion. It doesn't seek to promote values of any sort but many atheists are quite adept at contriving values for themselves; it doesn't go around with a book to try and tell others how to behave. Atheism, like A-Fairyism is simply a non-belief in deities just as A-Fairyism is a non-belief in fairies. There may be Atheists with things in common. I've noticed many are quite liberal but some are not. Some are tolerant others are not. I can't stress enough that the only identifying factor within Atheism is simply a non-belief in God. That's it.

But, if you're asking each individual person that is an Atheist how they feel about gays then I will tell you how I feel about it.

I could care less. They're human beings. They're born that way. It's not a big deal. The primary focal point of concern from the religious side seems to be the act rather than the emotional feelings. The religious seem to have no problem suggesting love, compassion, concern, and tenderness towards another man (even if it's the same sex). Yet, talk about homosexual "acts" and everyone gets all bent out of shape. It's the most childish thing I've ever heard of.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:04 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,333,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodixieforme View Post
How do atheists regard gays and gay rights, such as marriage? I ask because the primary opposition from most seems to be a product of religious leanings/beliefs.
For me, marriage as an institution has been ruined for a long time; reality TV, marriages of convince, celebrity marriages - hell even marriages between average people, aren't really anything sacred , highly revered or anything that special. Any more, marriage is just a way to get better health insurance and more back on your taxes. Straight people have done a fine job giving marriage a bad name.

That being said, gays don't do anything in their lives that a married couple does not, except for one thing... and while it certainly isn't my choice, I won't put any man or woman down for what they (as two consenting adults) do behind closed doors.

If they want to get married, fine; If a gay man asks me to come to his wedding, fine, I have no problem with it.

As far as rights go, should straight people be expected to announce their sexual orientation when they want to speak their mind or get a job. Gay people are just that - PEOPLE and people deserve rights, period.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:45 AM

133 posts, read 290,714 times
For me it has nothing to do with religion...it's just NOT right. I tolerate it and deal with it as long as they don't bother me, but i will never accept it.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:32 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,393,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanesG View Post
For me it has nothing to do with religion...it's just NOT right.
What do you mean by "right"? Are you an atheist?
My first ever thread on this forum was asking atheists what they thought of gay marriage. I was a little bit surprised to find out that some atheists are against it and one even used the word "revolting" to describe homosexuals.
Obviously, people don't need religion to make them fear homosexuality - so to reword the OP question:

To an atheist, what makes homosexuality "wrong"? Any takers?

Old 06-27-2008, 01:32 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,185,638 times
I have no problem with gays, i have problem with Media putting too much attention on the subject. I think they can make excellent parents and adopt children and raise them to their full potential.

Being gay is a disease, i don't believe you just woke up one day and said, Hey i'm gay! Most of those i've met are the most nicest people.

And who is there to say if gays are "RIGHT" or "WRONG"?? Just because society established some rules on how to live and behave, it doesn't make our lives and things we do any more rightful or wrongful.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:15 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,945,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
My first ever thread on this forum was asking atheists what they thought of gay marriage. I was a little bit surprised to find out that some atheists are against it and one even used the word "revolting" to describe homosexuals.
Obviously, people don't need religion to make them fear homosexuality - so to reword the OP question:

I think its just a physical reaction to picturing same gender sex. I don't really mind if people think its wrong so long as they aren't keen on using the law to try and stop it or trying to get everyone else to think as they do.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:54 PM

133 posts, read 290,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post

Agnostic. But again, i dont believe religion has anything to do with it. Every species on earth has one basic goal, and that is to procreate. Males should be with males and women with women, it's as simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism