Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 12:00 AM

133 posts, read 534,708 times

Advertisements

I realized that I'm an atheist a couple of years ago. My friends and family still think that one day I'll "come back to my senses" and realize that there has to be a God, but I really don't think so. They're always talking about how fantastic it is to know that God is there looking out for everyone, how excited they are to go and be reunited with their dead relatives when they die, etc. etc.

Most of the time I've just shrugged it off, but occasionally I'll get these spells where I just wish that I could believe in some sort of higher power. It seems like it would be so much more comforting to believe that something is looking out for me and that I'm not just going to lie in the ground and rot when I'm dead. I've tried going to church, I've tried to pray, and I've just tried in general to believe that something bigger is out there, but I just can't. It really just doesn't any sense to me at all.

I guess I was just wondering if there's anyone else out there who is/has been in the same boat as me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 12:08 AM

553 posts, read 569,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by part_iv View Post
I realized that I'm an atheist a couple of years ago. My friends and family still think that one day I'll "come back to my senses" and realize that there has to be a God, but I really don't think so. They're always talking about how fantastic it is to know that God is there looking out for everyone, how excited they are to go and be reunited with their dead relatives when they die, etc. etc.

Most of the time I've just shrugged it off, but occasionally I'll get these spells where I just wish that I could believe in some sort of higher power. It seems like it would be so much more comforting to believe that something is looking out for me and that I'm not just going to lie in the ground and rot when I'm dead. I've tried going to church, I've tried to pray, and I've just tried in general to believe that something bigger is out there, but I just can't. It really just doesn't any sense to me at all.

I guess I was just wondering if there's anyone else out there who is/has been in the same boat as me?
Can't help ya there, bub. I walked away and have NO desire whatsoever to return to ANY form of religion or any gods, well that is, until one actually shows some genuine concern for us all and not just his "elect."

Old 05-06-2008, 12:17 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,466,117 times
Although I can't say I ever wished I believed, I have wished for people in the religious community to allow me to be open and honest with them about my non-belief without the fear of rejection.

While some people are genuinely sincere in recognizing that, others are quite off-putting about it. I think, for most people, where they say things are so great having God in their lives is that they have not only a sort of spiritual support, but they have the social support from other people saying "We love you too because you're a believer."

So, I think that in many situations I am left uncomfortable explaining my atheistic views. Perhaps some of it is myself doing it as a result of past experiences. However, for many people, you cannot be asked to explain why you disbelieve without them giving the ol' guffaw and "I'm offended" look.

I've thought about it a million different ways, but I just don't know how to put it to people that I disbelieve for the same reasons that they disbelieve in all other deities. It's like they instantly take offense that I am linking their deity in with all the others without realizing that I am answering their question.

So, to wrap it all up... Although I don't wish I believed, I wish those that believed were more understanding of us that don't. Let's face it... People who believe in God still get depressed, still have anxiety, and still have stress. Sure, they might turn to God with it all, but it doesn't make them any more human than you. Believer or not, you're going to have the same stuff to put up with in your life. I don't see how worshipping a man in the sky makes it any easier.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:42 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,633,334 times
Quote:
Any atheists ever wish they believed?
In a word, no.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:19 AM

33,567 posts, read 37,172,616 times
Actually in my youth I did believe, but once I started to investigate and question I found the truth..Santa Claus doesn't exist...I went on to examine my belief in god, and got the same result.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:20 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,624,546 times
Well, I'm not an atheist, (sorry, I'm not convinced), so I hope y'all won't mind my butting in here, but I just had to say something that kind of goes along with this issue, in a somewhat loose fashion.

Although I still believe in a Creator, I stepped away from the church some years ago. I was raised a Southern Baptist, which is pretty darn evangelical and fundamentalist, as most of you know. My step-daughter is concerned about it, (she probably would be more so, if she knew more than she does. I've only discussed it with her, a very little, one time, and to her credit, she's never brought it up since then), and I know she would like to see her father and I "go back to church". I haven't willingly set foot in church since I decided I'd had enough, (except for family matters, such as a baptism, etc.), and I have absolutely no interest in going to church, or believing exactly as I once believed.

But, sometimes, I get a small twinge, when I hear an old hymn, that I liked, or hear people around me talking about old, familiar things, that once made up a large part of my life, and that is such a huge part of so many peoples' lives in this area that I live in. It's not a twinge that causes me to feel guilty, or makes me want to return to church, or anything. I think it's just that familiarity.

But, outside of that, I am actually enjoying my freedom, if you will, to learn about anything, spiritually-speaking, that interests me. I don't worry about a preacher, S.S. teacher, or anyone else, waggling a finger at me, or trying to shut me down, discourage me from asking questions, etc. I was the bane of my preachers and S.S. teachers, when I was in church, even as an adult, always asking questions, and making them squirm. I wasn't particularly trying to make anyone uncomfortable; I just wanted answers, and I wasn't getting any satisfactory ones. So, I left, and I rarely look back. I have to laugh, though, when I think of the expressions on some people's faces, if they could see what I read, study, listen to, watch, and think about, now.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:23 AM

33,567 posts, read 37,172,616 times
Freedom to think for yourself and explore life is a wonderful thing isn't it CelticLady?

Old 05-06-2008, 09:27 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,624,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Freedom to think for yourself and explore life is a wonderful thing isn't it CelticLady?
Absolutely, and I highly recommend it!

Old 05-06-2008, 09:47 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,630,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
But, sometimes, I get a small twinge, when I hear an old hymn, that I liked, or hear people around me talking about old, familiar things, that once made up a large part of my life, and that is such a huge part of so many peoples' lives in this area that I live in. It's not a twinge that causes me to feel guilty, or makes me want to return to church, or anything. I think it's just that familiarity.
It's not just a "twinge" - it's God tugging at your heart to come back to Him. Listen to your heart - it is mentioned over and over in the Bible and it is way more than just a human organ. I believe it encapsulates our very souls. Yes, it's that important.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:19 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,466,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
It's not just a "twinge" - it's God tugging at your heart to come back to Him. Listen to your heart - it is mentioned over and over in the Bible and it is way more than just a human organ. I believe it encapsulates our very souls. Yes, it's that important.
Then why isn't God tugging at my heart? I haven't felt anything on my chest since I ate that bean burrito the other day and I'm assuming that was heartburn.

I have never once driven by a church and felt a yearning to go in like something was compelling me to go. Yet, I can understand how people would feel this way. It's a little thing called guilt enabled from one's social environment and past history that does this to them.

I never had much of a connection with the church, so I don't imagine a deity is going to try very hard. Heck, if he's been tugging, he might as well ripped my heart out Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom style by now.

If he's tugging at her heart, he should be tugging at mine, and I don't feel anything at all when I drive by a church or place of worship except the thought that they should all be taxed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism