Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 09:23 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tic_constant View Post
Lamagra, I would have to disagree with you on your statement that bringing God into the conversation cuts off any line of logic.
It does only with some people, such as Christian fundamentalists who have a hard time conversing logically even with other Christians who might not take as literal intepretation of the Bible let alone an atheist/agnostic. Then there are people of all worldviews who are closed-minded in general.

One basic thing that is required for a discussion is that atheism, agnosticism and such are not religions in and of itself and beyond the topic of the belief in the existence of God or a similar entity, two atheists or two agnostics can otherwise have entirely different views. I've met atheists who are otherwise very politically conservative, like I've met Christians who are politically liberal even though both fly in the face of the common perception (at least in America).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 09:33 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,978 times
Quote:
Is it any more logical to think matter and energy popped into existence from nothing?
Matter and energy can't be created or destroyed, so the only way it could exist is if it always did. No beginning and no ending.

It's funny how creationists say "God is infinite", yet, when energy and matter come into the discussion, they reply with, "Well, energy and matter have to come from somewhere. Double standard, plain and simple.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:15 PM

35 posts, read 108,715 times
God is genetic.

God gene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-15-2008, 02:21 AM

956 posts, read 3,001,765 times
Quote:
I have seen debates with atheists/agnostics vs christians. Both scholars had done extremely well. In the end, no one's mind it changed. What does it prove? That there is intellectual material available for both sides on the topic. Anyone who thinks they have avowed it or disavowed it purely on intellectual reasons betrays a prejudice and a lack of understanding on the subject. There have been giants in their thinking abilities who have been atheists. There have been giants who have been committed believers. Some of the comments you make, although poignant, are cheapened by the gross and haughty generalizations.
"I have faith there's no God."

I'd like to see a Religionist find a way out of that one.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:22 AM

956 posts, read 3,001,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Matter and energy can't be created or destroyed, so the only way it could exist is if it always did.
But what about the god particle?

Old 10-15-2008, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
"I have faith there's no God."
What if I am God, though? I mean - you can't deny that I exist, for this post had to be created by someone - nor can you prove that I'm not God.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:01 AM

102 posts, read 152,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Matter and energy can't be created or destroyed, so the only way it could exist is if it always did. No beginning and no ending.

It's funny how creationists say "God is infinite", yet, when energy and matter come into the discussion, they reply with, "Well, energy and matter have to come from somewhere. Double standard, plain and simple.
I can see why you think that is a double standard. The reason I believe it is not is it isn't logical to think that matter and energy existed forever. It contradicts the first two laws of thermodynamics. I can see how it is reasonable that God exists when taking everyting into account. the universe appears to be finite, everything physical is precipitated by materials and factors bringing about it's existence, nothing physical finds its reason to existing in itself. IF, there is a god, I could see how it would be reasonable (I realize I'm going to be tarred and feathered for this one), looking at the design of cosmological constants, design of nature, complexities of information, to think he has existence in himself, is uncaused, and has a design amd purpose.
Difficult discussion. It is the discussion, isn't it? Where we all came from, our origins. One thing I'll say is that I appreciate people like yourself who think deeply about these things. Everyone on this forum, for the most part, doesn't ignore these big questions, and that is at least one thing we have in common. So thanks for dialoging with me.
We all have multiple reasons for believeing what we do or don't. No one avows or disavows a worldview simply on intellect; there are always other factors that go into it: intellectual, empirical, exsistential, moral, experiential, etc. There are multiple reason why you disapprove of christianity, and multiple reasons why I can't espouse the atheistic worldview.

Last edited by tic_constant; 10-15-2008 at 04:08 AM.. Reason: submitted before I was done writing

Old 10-15-2008, 03:52 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,060 times
Quote:
I can see why you think that is a double standard.

However, you are contradicting the first two laws of thermodynamics by that statement.
Law 1:
"Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only change forms"
or
" ΣΔH+ΔW=0"

Law 2:
"Entropy in a closed system tends to increase"

I have no idea where you think Haaziq broke the laws of thermodynamics.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:54 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
What if I am God, though? I mean - you can't deny that I exist, for this post had to be created by someone - nor can you prove that I'm not God.
I have faith you are not god. Hehehehe

Old 10-15-2008, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
I have faith you are not god. Hehehehe
Now see, I can't argue with faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism