Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:55 AM

473 posts, read 714,608 times

Advertisements

thank you

i was always of the understanding an agnostic believed there is no proof that God exists- but did not understand that they may be open minded on the subject- seems like there is more than just the simple answer i had in my head
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 11:02 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,839,165 times
So there is the difference between the man-made things and the supernatural (which couldn't possibly be man-made). That helps me, but is the desire to know the fuzzy characters of the innacuracies of supernatural effects from open-minded discussions so much an improvement in the morality, so much an improvement in the psyche of the common doubt for changes in the distrust of Mankind, the anti-christ, the impesonal justification of successful impersonal businesses, is it all worth it for the help of atheism offering freedom for tolerance and respect of respectability?

Ace,

Old 01-23-2009, 11:09 AM

897 posts, read 1,591,561 times
To the OP:

The sun comes up and the sun goes down. This is what we used to see and what we believed. It seemed like the sun was revolving around us and it felt like we were standing still so it only made sense to think that it revolved around us right? But now we know that we were wrong to believe that because the FACTS have proven it wrong, no matter how much it feels like we're standing still and the sun is revolving around us.

We can't fly by flapping our arms as birds do so it is impossible for men to fly, right? Yet, through hundreds of years of studying how flight works and discovering substances that are lighter than air and then designing vehicles that can achieve propelled flight, man has achieved the "impossible".

If I was to tell you two hundred years ago that I could create a device that would allow me to speak to you on the other end of the world by having it send signals in through the air you'd probably think that I was crazy.

Deities and the "supernatural" have always been uneducated men's way of explaining the unexplainable. But just like we no longer believe that the sun is a flaming chariot being pulled by horses across the sky or that only birds can fly, there are those of us who can see modern religions objectively and choose not to believe in them any more than we believe in fairy tales.

If you need your faith to be a productive citizen, then more power to you. Some of us don't need to believe that there is a higher power accounting for everything that we do and waiting to either reward us or punish us in order to have morals. I don't need god to tell me that killing, stealing or "taking" another man's wife is wrong. My analytical mind can figure out that there are dire consequences for each one of those "sins". I also don't need a god to tell me that if I don't "honor my mother and father" I'm going to have a miserable home life while growing up.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:51 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommax3plus2 View Post
thank you

i was always of the understanding an agnostic believed there is no proof that God exists- but did not understand that they may be open minded on the subject- seems like there is more than just the simple answer i had in my head

Well, as I said, that's my personal belief....I could very well be classifying myself wrong.

I'm sure there are some agnostics that are more along the lines of we can never prove there is or isn't a god.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:40 PM

795 posts, read 2,409,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
As an atheist, I don't believe in the existence of any gods or in the supernatural -- things like angels and demons and ghosts, et cetera. The reason I believe this way is the utter lack of evidence to the contrary. As far as proof, the burden is not on the atheist to prove that there are no gods, but rather on the believers to offer us evidence that they do exist.
Interestingly my atheist professor believed that atheist have the burden of proof. This is because society is largely in belief of God much like they believe that blue is in fact blue - true by definition. In other words, truth is dictated by what society says it is.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:45 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Interestingly my atheist professor believed that atheist have the burden of proof. This is because society is largely in belief of God much like they believe that blue is in fact blue - true by definition. In other words, truth is dictated by what society says it is.
Then he has no clue. If he's that ignorant, I'd really hate to have him for a professor. Does he also think that it's up to him to prove that Santa and the Easter bunny don't exist? We could get into falsifiability arguments, but they've been done ad infinitum in other threads.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:16 PM

33,527 posts, read 37,128,036 times
I see the OP is now absent...I'm guessing that the question has been answered enough times that it was understood, but just in case ...Atheism = disbelief in ANY god..That's all folks.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:29 PM

503 posts, read 937,079 times
[quote=Fontucky;7134349]Science.

So what has sience said about how the earth got here?

Old 01-23-2009, 01:30 PM

503 posts, read 937,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I see the OP is now absent...I'm guessing that the question has been answered enough times that it was understood, but just in case ...Atheism = disbelief in ANY god..That's all folks.

I got that thank you.I guess I just dont understand why when so much points to a bigger being than man.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:31 PM

33,527 posts, read 37,128,036 times
Science doesn't have the answer to that yet, but it certainly wasn't created by magic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism