Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 02:22 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Do you have a better solution?

Problem is, atheists don't want to think logically on this. Try it, it's not hard.

If you've got 2 choices:

1. God exists and created it.

2. Everything just happened.

If we know that #2 is impossible. #1 has to be the answer until a better answer can be found. Instead you want to pull in some crazy answer of "idon'tknowhwatdiditbutit'snotGod".

That's crazy, fuzzy logic.
Yours is fuzzy logic, specifically an argument from incredulity as well as a false dichotomy. First, you set up the false dichotomy by setting out two possibilities and saying it has to be only those two, with no support as to why. Then, you assume number 2 is impossible, without proof, which is your argument from incredulity. Your logic means nothing here because you base it on wildly simplistic assumptions instead of proven statements.

And then you criticize us for not adopting your overly simplistic point of view based on logical fallacies and wishful thinking. The fool hath debated with his heart, instead of his mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 07:44 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejoicer View Post
Your insults don't bother me. I'm covered by Jesus. I am special.

Luke 10:16
Whoever listens to you listens to me. Whoever rejects you rejects me. And whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me."
I guess you got off the short bus to soon.

And why would you want the gardener to cover you?

Old 08-06-2009, 11:32 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,660 times
Quote:
Do you have a better solution?

Problem is, atheists don't want to think logically on this. Try it, it's not hard.

If you've got 2 choices:

If we know that #2 is impossible. #1 has to be the answer until a better answer can be found. Instead you want to pull in some crazy answer of "idon'tknowhwatdiditbutit'snotGod".

That's crazy, fuzzy logic.
No, it is your "logic" that is flawed and fuzzy, as usual. For # 1, there are countless other Gods that could be possible, not just yours. And I hate to break it to you (not really) but your god is FAR FAR FAR from being the most likely or logical candidate.

#2 is operating under your human understanding. Everything could indeed have "just happened" by our perception. If "it just is" is good enough for your sky fairy, it's good enough for the universe.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:42 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
This is not complicated. Try to follow along.

Cause/Effect states that everything that exists was caused by something. You believe that regarding your computer on your desk, the car in your garage, etc.
...but we know that they were 'created' by someone because they are inanimate objects and do not occur naturally.

Quote:
We know the universe couldn't have cuased itself.
We don't know anything of the sort...but even if you are correct, it doesn't follow that it was caused by supernatural entities much less that it was the supernatural entity that YOU believe in.

Quote:
The only logical conclusion is that SOMETHING caused it.
Give me an alternative to God and we'll talk.
I would surmise that something caused it to exist.
The fallacy here is that you are noting that the universe exists and then jumping to the conclusion that there was a time when it did not exist. How do you know that it hasn't always existed in some shape or other?

Quote:
If you can give me a better cause, lay it on me. Until then I'll believe the only possible one.
Again you jump to the conclusion that there was a 'cause'. Why could it not always have been there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post

Beyond that... under your cause/effect theory, if everything had to have a creator, who created God? Either that theory is not true, or someone had to create your creator.
Exactly! It is a well word argument amongst theists that the universe must have been 'created' because everything has to have a creator. This falls on its face when Boxcar's question is put to them. If everything has to have a creator then so must the creator. This leaves us with 2 options:
1. We have an endless regression of creators.
2. You stop at one particular creator that doesn't need a creator (which is what theists do)

...but as soon as the theist does that he defeats his own argument that everything must have a creator. If his particular deity can exist without a creator, why can't the universe.

Quote:

If you've got 2 choices:

...or 3. The universe has always been there.

Quote:
If we know that #2 is impossible. #1 has to be the answer until a better answer can be found.
We do not know that #2 is "impossible" but if it is, what do you think is more logical...
1. A supernatural entity that has never been shown to exist did it.
2. The universe has always existed in some shape or form.

Quote:
Think about this. You've got 2 choices.
Three at least!

Quote:
No.....it's called faith.
Faith is the last refuge of those that have had their arguments defeated by reason and logic

Old 08-06-2009, 04:05 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
Default "Mommy, mommy! How did the Universe begin?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
If you think there is a God, how did he get here? By your logic, there must necessarily have been a God before him, right?
Of course, Boxcar, but you're appealing to the selective intellect of a fundy. They claim logic in yelling that "It can't have just come from nowhere because that's impossible!"

But then, they insist that it all came from nowhere, created in an instant, bah-zillions of galaxies, planets, suns, gas balls that we'll never see, by a Creator who came form where again? Nowhere?

As to kd's absurd points, he is just showing his spectacularly limited imagination. Having a vivid imagination to consider all the possibilites is a sort of prerequisite for becoming an intellectutal, certainly a scientist.

We scientists and rationalists also understand that there are doubtless countless additional possibilities that simply exceed our current human intellectual capacity to understand. I, for instance, realize that there has to be some rational theory about infinity, but for the life of me, I can't get to a rational answer. Given my limited IQ.

My intellectual failings, and those of my cat who can't understand my DVD player, does not conflate with there being a God by default. That solution is strictly for the "faint of head", the "weak of imagination".

To happily accept and defend the severe limitations in thinking imposed by Christians, especially when their 'text book" was written in a time of highly limited knowledge (they would have been pressed to explain how or why a candle burns much less the possibliites for the origins of the Universe) is to embrace ignorance and to honor it as the status quo.

I and most others here can easily come up with many alternatives:

Aliens initiated it, black hole collapse, parallel universe collapse, parallel universe creation, a castastrophic shift in the space-time continuum, the repeated birth and deaths of the universe, the transcendence of a unstable Universal dimension, a fold in the gameboard...

And yet, the only possibility you accept , with extreme prejudice I might add, is also the least likely one, when viewed from a rational perspective.

But it did have it's many early illiterate adherents (who also were the authors of their imagined version of it), and you do want a nice warm "home" to run to.

So... go ahead. Run along home!

Old 08-06-2009, 04:44 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
My opinion.

If god does exist, as defined as "the creator of the universe", then he is a scientist in a laboratory in a parallel or alternate universe. He was experimenting in a laboratory, created our universe as a byproduct of his current experiment, said the local equivalent of "hmmm...very interesting", recorded the data, and then went home for the day.

He isn't all knowing, in fact, he doesn't even know he created a universe; and he isn't all powerful. Therefore, there is no point worshiping him, or praying to him, or anything else.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:59 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
god was doing it sort of like how Frankenstein created his 'monster'?
I believe in the bang, the big bang and it took life millions of years to even get started and lifeforms could have been so different from what they are now, if one little molecule was different...but things are the way they are and life started by accident on our planet. Many planets have no life...why would some god, while experimenting with ribs and dirt, not have created life on all planets while he was at it? I'd see him doing a bit of this and a bit of that here and there to see how it would prosper...You know, try things... if you have the power to create life would you just create one planet full and then stop? surely if he had other planets full of humans they'd come to tell us about their god buy now??? And lo and behold we would see it was the same one....

Old 08-08-2009, 10:12 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
god was doing it sort of like how Frankenstein created his 'monster'?
I believe in the bang, the big bang and it took life millions of years to even get started and lifeforms could have been so different from what they are now, if one little molecule was different...but things are the way they are and life started by accident on our planet. Many planets have no life...why would some god, while experimenting with ribs and dirt, not have created life on all planets while he was at it? I'd see him doing a bit of this and a bit of that here and there to see how it would prosper...You know, try things... if you have the power to create life would you just create one planet full and then stop? surely if he had other planets full of humans they'd come to tell us about their god buy now??? And lo and behold we would see it was the same one....
See, the argument against this is that you are trying to apply logic to theism. It has no place there.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:42 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
I know it doesn't have a place there...

Old 08-09-2009, 10:01 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
Okay, prove to us that Jesus did not define a fool.
the only thing that mythological beings define is the nature of mythological beings. It has no bearing in real life.

uh, with the possible exception of "The Tao of Poo" (as in Winnie the....) much more believable than the christer bible. My 8 yr old niece turned me on to it. Valuable life lessons like "always share your cookies with friends".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism