Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 06:53 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times

Advertisements

I have absolutely no argument with agnostics, I have never been stopped and preached at by one. That is a lot more than I could honestly say about christers.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:15 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,355,904 times
In a group you can’t tell one of us from the other, we are just different ends of the same yard stick.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:38 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,359 times
I don't really think about agnostics. Agnostics, for the most part, have thought about the issues and made an intellectual decision to become agnostic. They also aren't into evangelizing or 'spreading the word.'

Old 09-30-2009, 11:39 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,244 times
all agnostics I've met so far have been accepting and tolerant of most everyone, so I find it easy to talk to them. Like was said above ...if christians were like this, we'd have no problems with them either.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:57 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,879 times
As a Theistic Evolutionist, I get along better with hard core atheists better than hard core Christians. The Christians like to lump me in with everyone else who disagrees with them more often than the atheists do. But then, I suppose I know several atheists who don't like me very much either.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:07 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,146 times
I have no problems with anyone unless they try to push their views on me as the only truth. No one can know all the truth in the human sense. I think athiest and agnostics are just people, like everyone else, trying to make their way in the world the best they know how. I have met many athiests and agnostics who are much better people than biblers or anyone who adheres to one set of beliefs. I think if we open ourselves up to all that there is then we can better discern what path we want to take that will make us better people towards ourselves and others. When we stick to just one possibility then we can go no further than what that one possibility can bring.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:02 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
I agree with George H, Smith's definitions, which state that atheism/theism pertain to two different matters. Atheism/theism define whether one believes in a god or not, while agnosticism/gnosticism define whether one thinks it is possible to have any knowledge of whether there is a god or not. So that makes me an agnostic-atheist; in other words, I don't think there is any way to know whether or not a god exists, so why believe in something which I cannot possibly have knowledge of? Like Dawkins, I think the likelihood of the existence of a god is extremely unlikely, but it cannot completely be ruled out.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:11 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
I think this is a point of view for which there is weak justification. For what reason would the Supreme Being want to be "hidden" from all that is created? And if being hidden is what the Supreme Being prefers, why was the universe created at all? That would intimate that the Supreme Being is actually malevolent. (That is, wind up the "toy" universe and watch its constituents tear themselves apart. But the Supreme Being, as omniscient, already foresaw all of that, so what would be the point?)

Too many loose ends.
But in a sense, the very question you asked is part of the conundrum. To go along with what you said, we have to assume that this "Supreme Being" is some sort of anthropomorphic god in the Judeo-Christian/Muslim mold. What if this thing that people call a "god" is nothing more that some sort of impersonal force (not trying to get all Star Wars-ish here)? What if it is some sort of spirit that pervades everything outside of the physical world? What if it is sort of spirit that pervades not only a spiritual realm, but also the physical world such as pantheists believe. If any of those is the case, then your argument does not apply.

For myself, being agnostic, I simply don't know what "god" is (if it even exists).

Old 10-01-2009, 01:59 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,165,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsburg View Post
Do atheists think agnostics are indecisive wimps?

Do agnostics think atheists go too far?

If you're in one camp, share your views on the other.
It's the same thing. Agnostic = Atheism.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:54 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,624 times
I can understand why people would be agnostic.

I can also understand why someone who is an atheist my call themselves agnostic to avoid the bigotry.

Agnostic and atheist have a common sense of skepticism of any supernatural claims, (in general). So we get along well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism