Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 10:43 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,841,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dninc View Post
This is exactly what im talking about, you and i are on the same page, other people here continuously are posting what has been filmed in Atlanta, the point is, anything filmed in Atlanta can be filmed in any cookie cut city like Jacksonville, Dallas, Toronto, Mobile and no one will notice much difference if people don't know the exact skyline and buildings in those cities, there's nothing original/unique about any of those cities, you can take everything in Atlanta and throw in Jacksonville, Fl and no one will ever know the difference, you can take anything that has ever been filmed in Atlanta and throw it in Mobile, Al and people will like it just as much, There's nothing that would attract anybody to film there but maybe the fact the city has a few rappers on the radio station and a lot vast empty space to film in and not be too disturbed.

Maybe if more films were filmed by the Coke museum? maybe that might help Atlanta get more of a recognizable face, it's all i can see that would say, HEY! LOOK, THIS IS IN ATLANTA!
I've been to Atlanta a lot and i really don't see the draw there, there's lots of opportunity especially blacks there, more before the economy crash, More people are moving from Atlanta to Houston, Tx now for bluer sky's in their life now that the economy is trash.

Again, nothing wrong filming shows in Atlanta, MTV most likely go there because they want the "black urban" crowd and no other city is as black and full of entertainers than Atlanta right now, Houston had that crown before and New Orleans had it now Atlanta does, it'll go back up north soon and MTV will end up there. not a big deal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 11:25 AM

8 posts, read 23,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I first saw Barbershop mentioned in your post 2 pages back where you listed it as a "failure". Did someone say that it was filmed in Atlanta? I have no idea where it was filmed, but the setting was Chicago. I was just responding to the assertion that the film was a failure...I actually really liked it.

What I'm trying to figure out is...why do you (and so many people for that matter) consider Atlanta a "black city" when it's population only 31% black? Atlanta is a great city for black culture and success, but it's still 59% white.
Go back a few more pages and you'll see why i quoted it along with those other movies..

Old 09-20-2010, 02:24 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dninc View Post
Go back a few more pages and you'll see why i quoted it along with those other movies..
No thanks...I have other things to do. The topic is actually something about the Real World anyway, not which movies you like or don't like.

If you think the cities you mentioned are "cookie cutter" then there is nothing more to discuss. That's a silly thing to say...and just because YOU don't recognize a city's skyline doesn't mean that it isn't recognizable to most other people. A skyline is recognizable to people who have visited that particular city, or possibly to people who have some kind of interest in that particular city. Atlanta is a very recognizable skyline throughout the U.S., especially considering Atlanta's high ranking on the list of most visited cities.

Do you have a reference for the information on people moving from Atlanta to Houston? This is the first I've heard about it, and frankly it sounds like something you've made up just to post something negative about the city. Some people will say just about anything to get attention I guess.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:03 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,841,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
No thanks...I have other things to do. The topic is actually something about the Real World anyway, not which movies you like or don't like.

If you think the cities you mentioned are "cookie cutter" then there is nothing more to discuss. That's a silly thing to say...and just because YOU don't recognize a city's skyline doesn't mean that it isn't recognizable to most other people. A skyline is recognizable to people who have visited that particular city, or possibly to people who have some kind of interest in that particular city. Atlanta is a very recognizable skyline throughout the U.S., especially considering Atlanta's high ranking on the list of most visited cities.

Do you have a reference for the information on people moving from Atlanta to Houston? This is the first I've heard about it, and frankly it sounds like something you've made up just to post something negative about the city. Some people will say just about anything to get attention I guess.
Right I know plenty of people who are here from Tx and If there moving to Houston there are more moving from elsewhere to Atlanta. Thats how it usually goes you win some and you loose some so its not a negative in my opinion.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:21 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Race and demographics aren't necessarily the same thing. If you want to jump the gun and say that I discounted all of those movies just because they happen to be produced by and star black people then go right ahead. I doubt I can convince you race really has nothing to do with it if you are so quick to throw out words like "segregation."

Urban is a pretty specific demographic that happens to be majority black. I never discounted the fact that Atlanta has a huge presence in the urban scene and I think that's really cool. However, that is just one segment of the overall entertainment market and it's make up is pretty narrow when it comes down to it. Middle-aged suburban Asians, Hispanics, or even young whites are not included in that demographic.

I've simply been saying that Atlanta has not really been captured on film or television in a way that a handful of other cities have. I honestly don't know how it could be established in that way because it really doesn't have a Golden Gate Bridge or Empire State Building or any iconic landmark(maybe Stone Mountain could be) that people across the country or world instantly recognize.

This is the sort of stuff I'm looking for:

YouTube - Rocky art museum of Philadelphia steps

YouTube - Bullitt - Steve McQueen Famous Car Chase

YouTube - Manhattan - "This is really a great city"

I discounted a lot of those examples you presented because I don't think a lot of them really emphasize the fact that they are in Atlanta like the above examples emphasize the cities in which the story takes place. Most of them could be shot in any number of places. Award shows aren't relevant no matter what demographic they are aimed at. They are held in auditoriums, not on the streets and neighborhoods of a city.

I'm looking for an iconic Atlanta film or tv show that emphasizes the fact that it's in Atlanta and is targeted to a broad demographic. I don't know if that exists yet. I'm not saying it can't be done.
This film definitely wont be iconic, but it has to be the first one in a long time that is filmed AND set in Atlanta, and is geared towards a mainstream audience. It is definitely a step in the right direction of remaking the city's image with pop culture. Hopefully more will follow:

New romantic comedy gives love to Atlanta *| accessAtlanta

Old 10-19-2010, 03:48 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
This film definitely wont be iconic, but it has to be the first one in a long time that is filmed AND set in Atlanta, and is geared towards a mainstream audience. It is definitely a step in the right direction of remaking the city's image with pop culture. Hopefully more will follow:
Friends who saw it last weekend said there are some good shots of Brookhaven and the 1180 Building in Midtown.

It is nice to see Atlanta getting some screen time as a place where regular people live, instead of the usual stereotypes of cigar chomping sheriffs, Southern belles and over the top grandmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta