Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 07:12 AM

969 posts, read 1,960,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
No way the Republicans would have supported Barnes left of center positions.
Which is why this state will continue to get nowhere. I hope I am wrong and I hope Deal can work to solve the major issues facing our state. For example: water, transportation infrastructure, and education... which will all lead to job/economic growth. It's a fact that for the last 8 years Georgia hasn't been investing in any of these categories and eventually it will affect our state's ability to remain competitive. Although I have less hope in Georgia Republicans, I really don't care what party the person is... just have the will, the brain, and the courage to solve the major issues!

Abortion, evolution in schools, gay marriage, illegals (sorry, but we don't even border Mexico like Texas and Arizona) are not major issues right now and praying for rain is not a solution!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 07:17 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,271,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
Which is why this state will continue to get nowhere. I hope I am wrong and I hope Deal can work to solve the major issues facing our state. For example: water, transportation infrastructure, and education... which will all lead to job/economic growth. It's a fact that for the last 8 years Georgia hasn't been investing in any of these categories and eventually it will affect our state's ability to remain competitive. Although I have less hope in Georgia Republicans, I really don't care what party the person is... just have the will, the brain, and the courage to solve the major issues!

Abortion, evolution in schools, gay marriage, illegals (sorry, but we don't even border Mexico like Texas and Arizona) are not major issues right now and praying for rain is not a solution!
A Republican Governor and state house that is filled with Republicans can agree on many more solutions than having a Democrat in there that will veto most bills. Don't believe me just look at what is going to happen in Washington now that Obama doesnt have a rubber stamp from the Congress anymore. Bottomline, a Republican state government may not be perfect but atleast they will be on the same page most of the time. If liberal Democrats have a problem with it then DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! It's not ANY Republicans fault that the Democrat party has all but disappeared in this state and region. Look in the mirror Democrats, your inability to make inroads in this state falls squarely on you!

Last edited by suprascooby22; 11-04-2010 at 07:29 AM..

Old 11-04-2010, 07:22 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
If liberal Democrats have a problem with it then DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! It's not ANY Republicans fault that the Democrat party has all but disappeared in the state and region. Look in the mirror Democrats, your inability to make inroads in this state falls squarely on you!
Well said!

Old 11-04-2010, 07:23 AM

969 posts, read 1,960,087 times
Quote:
A Republican Governor and state house that is filled with Republicans can agree on many more solutions than having a Democrat in there that will veto most bills. Don't believe me just look at what is going to happen in Washington now that Obama doesnt have a rubber stamp from the Congress anymore. Bottomline, have a Republican state government may not be perfect but atleast they will be on the same page most of the time.
I understand what you are saying in terms of agreeing, but are they going to be able to solve the issues is my question? Do the Republicans in this state have the ideas and are they not afraid to use them? I honestly just don't have a lot of hope in Georgia Republicans but I hope I'm wrong.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:31 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,271,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
I understand what you are saying in terms of agreeing, but are they going to be able to solve the issues is my question? Do the Republicans in this state have the ideas and are they not afraid to use them? I honestly just don't have a lot of hope in Georgia Republicans but I hope I'm wrong.
Time will tell but whining(not saying you) about Democrats not being elected is ridiculous. Elections are essentially competitions and over the last decade the Republicans are dominating any elections that are held here.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:32 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvez View Post
Most people here don't want public transportation. I want to get in my car and drive to work. I wouldn't ride Marta if it was free. If public transportation is important to you, you should probably move.
Well I want it. What is so bad about mass transit? So your mentality is "get a car or move away". Fine then. I will be happy to leave this state. One problem: I don't have the money to leave. If I leave, I will pay out of state tuition somewhere else, and I still have to finish college. Otherwise I would have been gone a long time ago.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by society619 View Post
And that's the type of mindset that will forever hold Georgia back. Because the same people on "hate" public transportation have never been in a city where it actually works. Atlanta is the only major city in America without a funded transportation system. Majority of that reason is because certain people don't want them "urban folk" in their neighborhood. So we go to the "Get a car or leave" theory which leads to those same people complaining about bad roads, terrible traffic, and air quality yet no one here is willing to agree on alternate transportation even though is works perfectly for 90% of America.
That mindset is holding Georgia back. The sad fact is, many people don't seem to care. I actually tried to get some college students mobilized on getting better public transportation. I had a hard time finding many who cared enough. It is like the only way anyone would even consider it is if gas prices went to $5 a gallon.
The "urban folk" reason, well, that is very true. The "city too busy to hate" could not even get MARTA into Cobb, Gwinnett or Clayton counties during the 1970's. Why? Many people didn't want Blacks from Atlanta getting into those counties. In fact, MARTA was sometimes referred to as "Moving Africans Rapidly Through Atlanta".

Old 11-04-2010, 07:41 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Well I want it. What is so bad about mass transit? So your mentality is "get a car or move away". Fine then. I will be happy to leave this state. One problem: I don't have the money to leave. If I leave, I will pay out of state tuition somewhere else, and I still have to finish college. Otherwise I would have been gone a long time ago.
Hm, you've already said you rely on the government to pay for your college education. Now you seem aggravated that the government isn't also providing public transportation to your liking. But for the freebies you're getting, you say you're itching to get out of here.

Bear in mind that "the government" is actually your fellow citizens. The money you're being given for your eduction and transportation comes from the money they have earned and contributed for the public good.

So you might want to be a little more conscious of the hand that's feeding you, and not be so quick to bite it.

What's your plan to repay society for the bennies you're getting?

Old 11-04-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Hm, you've already said you rely on the government to pay for your college education. Now you seem aggravated that the government isn't also providing public transportation to your liking. But for the freebies you're getting, you say you're itching to get out of here.

Bear in mind that "the government" is actually your fellow citizens. The money you're being given for your eduction and transportation comes from the money they have earned and contributed for the public good.

So you might want to be a little more conscious of the hand that's feeding you, and not be so quick to bite it.

What's your plan to repay society for the bennies you're getting?
I have worked too and paid taxes. Right now I am in a bit of an unemployment stage. My comment was made because the user I replied to commented that no one wanted public transit in metropolitan Atlanta.

And by the way, most of my college education is paid for with federal loans. I have to pay those back anyway.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:20 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,094,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, that's sort of the point. If you've chosen to live where you have to drive 66 miles a day to work, it's kind of obvious that public transit is not your thing. We've already got an extensive rail and bus system for anybody who's inclined to use it.
The "extensive rail and bus system" covers a fraction of the metro. I would bet that most of the working population in Atlanta both lives and works outside of the MARTA service area.

Now, I'll take that back to some extent if you're including things like CCT in your "extensive system", since suburban transit operations do connect with MARTA and also provide decent public transportation along a limited number of commuting corridors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta