Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 07:52 AM

349 posts, read 781,803 times

Advertisements

I just want to be able to get home after a night of drinking without driving if I lived in the suburbs. Take the train to your county/suburb then take a cab home. That would be much cheaper than taking a cab all the way from Atlanta. So in essence I believe the taxpayers should build a network that would allow me to get home after a night of drinking so I can avoid a potential DUI. Said network should operate 24/7 since the bars dont close until 2 AM. Im just kidding people. But seriously it would be cool to be able to get around without having to drive every freaking where.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 08:26 AM

357 posts, read 783,836 times
haha wouldnt it be nice? Right now, the people of Atlanta wont let that happen. And when I say Atlanta, I mean all of Metro Atlanta and the surrounding suburbs. If we could just have like 10% of the transporation options NY or CHI have, I couldn't even begin to imagine the amazing potential it could have on the city.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:40 AM

3,711 posts, read 5,991,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagwagon113 View Post
I just want to be able to get home after a night of drinking without driving if I lived in the suburbs. Take the train to your county/suburb then take a cab home. That would be much cheaper than taking a cab all the way from Atlanta. So in essence I believe the taxpayers should build a network that would allow me to get home after a night of drinking so I can avoid a potential DUI. Said network should operate 24/7 since the bars dont close until 2 AM. Im just kidding people. But seriously it would be cool to be able to get around without having to drive every freaking where.
This aspect of my life would be simplified in a pretty significant way if they would just run one additional train per hour at 2, 3, and 4AM. It's only three more trains, but it would be awesome knowing I have a way home if I time it right and not having to deal with taxis.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:44 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,372,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
The most flawed and elitiist logic you have ever heard? Either you are employed by city-data to be the resident drama-queen, or you need to get out more. Your claim that "we are not afraid to discuss such things openly in Atlanta... public discourse here is a large part of who we are" is an open-faced lie and is not fooling anyone on this forum. You attack anyone who disagrees with you or who says something negative about Atlanta. It's pathetic.

And what makes you sure a 1 cent sales tax in Clayton will be enough to support MARTA in the county? The sales tax revenue of Clayton County is far less than that of DeKalb or Fulton, and falling by the day.
Get over yourself. Just because you are ignorant of facts does not give you the right to be so confrontational and rude. If anything is pathetic around here, it's your endless bluster and attempt to stir things up with every single race-baiting post you make.

Have you ever heard of the annual LINK trips that regional leaders make every year? Look it up, if not. On the trip to Chicago several years ago, several leaders from there confided to the Atlantans in attendance that they envied the open discussions about race that take place here. They went on to say that it is totally taboo to do so there, but was deemed as something they wish they could have to get at the root of many problems. l doubt you would even want to hear this fact as it flies in the face of all that you believe in, but it happened and is verifiable.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Yeah, isn't it great to be able to blame everything on race? It makes things so easy.
Reading many of your posts, it seems as if you certainly subscribe to this line of thought.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:10 AM

357 posts, read 783,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Get over yourself. Just because you are ignorant of facts does not give you the right to be so confrontational and rude. If anything is pathetic around here, it's your endless bluster and attempt to stir things up with every single race-baiting post you make.

Have you ever heard of the annual LINK trips that regional leaders make every year? Look it up, if not. On the trip to Chicago several years ago, several leaders from there confided to the Atlantans in attendance that they envied the open discussions about race that take place here. They went on to say that it is totally taboo to do so there, but was deemed as something they wish they could have to get at the root of many problems. l doubt you would even want to hear this fact as it flies in the face of all that you believe in, but it happened and is verifiable.

John,

I cant really compare ATL to CHI b/c i've only been to CHI twice. But I think it would be pretty ignorant to say that we still dont have race issues in Atlanta. I would also say that it's pretty ignorant to say that we have "open discussions" here about race. I dont really care what leaders in chicago say. I base this off my personal experiences growing up here.

In reference to MARTA, (Generally Speaking) I think race is absolutley a determining factor when expansion is brought up.... and to sit here and pretend like Atlanta is a melting pot of racial and cultural interaction is again.. ignorant...

Old 12-11-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomno00 View Post
John,

I cant really compare ATL to CHI b/c i've only been to CHI twice. But I think it would be pretty ignorant to say that we still dont have race issues in Atlanta. I would also say that it's pretty ignorant to say that we have "open discussions" here about race. I dont really care what leaders in chicago say. I base this off my personal experiences growing up here.

In reference to MARTA, (Generally Speaking) I think race is absolutley a determining factor when expansion is brought up.... and to sit here and pretend like Atlanta is a melting pot of racial and cultural interaction is again.. ignorant...
I never said that we don't have issues. What I did say is that there is a comfort level here (and I stand by this) that simply DOES NOT EXIST in some other cities, in this particular instance - Chicago.

You may disagree with me and call me ignorant all day long, but I stand by my original claim.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:19 PM

60 posts, read 145,805 times
I disagree.

A mass transit system in a city as heavily spread out and suburbanized as Atlanta ONLY makes sense in areas where that service is self-sustaining.

If Clayton County can not make the CTRAN service pay for itself, the folks who depend on that service should move to a place where public transit is available and widely used. These days that area is a good part of the City of Atlanta, certain parts of Dekalb, and residences that are near the metro-Atlanta park n' rides and shuttle services.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:34 PM

16,707 posts, read 29,542,355 times
Quote:
Clayton County serves an important purpose. Where do you think all the people from the projects go when they get torn down? I'd rather have them go to Clayton County then Southwest Atlanta. Atlanta has a promising future, Clayton County doesn't. Clayton County it serves a purpose - those people have to live somewhere. Clayton County is the sacrifice that has to be made in order to have an upscale Atlanta.

In regards to MARTA, I think many suburbanites have come to peace with it. Perimeter Mall is not like it was before MARTA came in, and it never will be, but it has reached an acceptable equilibrium for the time being. I guess nothing stays the same anyway, and it can't all be blamed on MARTA. Look at parts of Gwinnett. But then again, you could say Gwinnett would be even worse if MARTA had come in.

In any case, MARTA does not need to go to Clayton County. I don't think people get this, but to be a financially successful transit agency, the primary users need to be commuters, not people who have no other option. MARTA expansion to Clayton County is just asking for bankruptcy.
Wow--how similar to pre-1994 South Africa...

Last edited by aries4118; 12-11-2010 at 04:10 PM..

Old 12-11-2010, 04:07 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,108,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Wow--so similar to pre-1994 South Africa...
Do some brushing up on your history. You forgot about the forced living arrangements and movement restrictions that formed the centerpiece of Apartheid. I never stated or implied people should be forced to live in Clayton County or that they people who do should be barred from certain areas.

There's an eerily similar historical parallel to your motivations in seeking to portray me as an Apartheid supporter with such extreme comments:

Nazi propaganda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta