Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 04:26 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,849,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
“There has been a track record of dysfunction and mismanagement in Fulton County,” Riley said. “That has cost the taxpayers a lot of money. Fulton County government is too big, unresponsive and poorly managed.”
...my question is, is there really a way they can do this without hurting the residents of south fulton? sounds kind of selfish to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 07:35 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
...my question is, is there really a way they can do this without hurting the residents of south fulton? sounds kind of selfish to me
I'm not arguing, but how would it would it hurt the residents of South Fulton?

Old 12-07-2010, 08:24 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Milton County has a much better chance after last month's elections. Republicans are now very close to having enough votes to pass anything they want, including amendments to the Constitution. They just picked up yet another crossover, Rep. Doug McKillip from Athens.
But I thought Republicans were all about less government, not more? Oh right, it depends on who's in office and who benefits...my bad.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:33 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,711,684 times
I thought, if Milton were to come to life, another county would have to disappear/merge or the state Constitution would have to be changed completely to lift the ban from 159?

Old 12-07-2010, 08:37 PM

60 posts, read 145,778 times
No. It depends on how the government is run.

You go to a place like Cobb County that has a AAA debt rating and highly qualified public officials, you won't see the service issues that are prevalent in Fulton County.

Even when vast parts of the county are overrun by illegals and welfare bums, the Cobb County government will remain strong because they avoid wasting taxpayers money on those who won't ever pay taxes.

East Cobb is affluent. West Cobb is pastoral and restrictive. That leaves only South Cobb and certain small cities for the lower tax base.

By the way, I'm a long time Democrat. Now I'm just tired of gangsta culture and the entitlement mentality. I want these people out of here and the overwhelming majority of Cobb residents feel the exact same way.
'
Unlike Dekalb and Fulton, you won't see Cobb pussyaxe it's way to a politically correct answer.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:23 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,569,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Lawmaker wants to create Milton County *| ajc.com

What this translates to me:
"I don't want my rich area associated with the same county as those poor folks to the south."

Seriously though, wouldn't this cost a buttload of money in the middle of a recession? This seems like a stupid idea.
Another divide in the metro? Sounds like this lawmaker is an international thinker.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:37 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,569,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Unfortunately not enough of the youth & transplants from states participate in these elections. The lawmakers who keep this crap up are those mostly from families who have been here at least 3 generations, & I'm pretty sure the same goes for the the kind of voters who keep putting them into office.

That's the mindset that you are dealing with under the dome. Always some civil war in the minds of the bubbas. But it's pretty much like that all over the south.

Outside of praying for increase voter particpation from the youth, the best that we all can hope for is that a progressive "strong man" comes up in the ranks of the political structure once in a blue moon & make a difference for all Georgians. An Ellis Arnall-type of politican.

We also need strong forward-thinking leadership outside of politics who can provide a powerful presence & the bully pulpit to match. A Henry Grady-type of business leader.

Sucks that it's like that, but such is the reality in which we live, eh?
Another classic from the AcidOne!
Makes you wonder if these lawmakers are from the Northeast of the Union.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:38 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
If Milton County secedes (taking Sandy Springs with it), then Atlanta and unincorporated South Fulton should definitely consolidate.

East Point and College Park would first annex adjacent areas and join Clayton County (Hapeville would join too).

Union City and Fairbun would also annex adjacent areas and join Fayette County or Clayton County.

Chattahoochee Hills and Palmetto would join Coweta County.

And the rest of unincorporated South Fulton would then join the City of Atlanta/Fulton County (would have same boundaries).

A helpful link for all participating on this thread:

Untitled Document (http://www.fultonecd.org/planning/plan_maps/index.html - broken link)

Old 01-05-2011, 08:56 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
I heard on the news last night that Republicans believe they have enough votes to pass the Milton County legislation this session and that they consider it likely.

I'm assuming the new county will take a whopping chunk of Fulton's revenues. Does anyone know how much?

Old 01-05-2011, 10:44 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,535,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I heard on the news last night that Republicans believe they have enough votes to pass the Milton County legislation this session and that they consider it likely.

I'm assuming the new county will take a whopping chunk of Fulton's revenues. Does anyone know how much?
I believe 60% of it but I maybe wrong. Republicans rather Atlanta die as a city not realizing if it wasn't for Atlanta there would be no Alpharetta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta