Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:49 PM

439 posts, read 852,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Georgia's economy sucks because Atlanta's economy sucks. Atlanta's economy sucks because high-quality relocations to the city, both businesses and people, have stalled for the last decade.

Economics is a social science, and the core tenet is that people are rational and respond to incentives. There are two (warning: non-p.c.) reasons, based on the theory of incentives, for the problems in Atlanta's economy.

1.) Corporate relocation and new regional headquarters drove Atlanta's economy. CEOs, like any other people, respond to incentives. Why would any CEO want to relocate a company or a Southeastern headquarters to a city that for 10 years now has enjoyed a reputation as the hip-hop capital of the world, and whose notoriety in pop culture is associated with thugs and low-lifes? Add that to the crime and traffic that the city was already known for. Where is the incentive for middle-class relocation? Yes, Atlanta has a great airport, good weather, and affordable housing. But Dallas, Houston, and Charlotte have all of those, but without the negative reputation.

2.) The million+ people that have relocated to metro Atlanta are not the typical middle class white collar transplants of the 80s and 90s. They are uneducated members of the lower class who move here to rent section 8 apartments and get a job as a cashier at Wal-Mart. This explains why the average income is declining. These people are responding to an incentive--they come because they have heard Atlanta is a "mecca", a mythical land of milk and honey where one is entitled to handout or special treatment just because of their skin color.

There is hope that metro Atlanta can once again be the growth machine that it was from the 70s-90s, and it starts with the city of Atlanta, not the suburbs. The 100,000+ people that have moved into the city of Atlanta are the complete opposite of those moving to the suburbs. They are educated members of the middle-class. These new residents want a dismantling of city hall's political dynasty, lower crime, more parks, and better public schools. The effects of their demands will slowly change the reputation and image of the city. A non-black mayor will show Atlanta is a mecca for all races. Having a crime rate lower than Tacoma's will stop the comparisons to Baltimore. And so on.

Atlanta has redefined itself before, and it can do it again. If it succeeds, Atlanta will once again attract those middle-class relocations that made this metro one of the greatest economic engines in the nation.

I agree that economics is a science and it responds to incentives and exactly because of such incentives I will elaborate on your point number

1.) Why would any CEO want to relocate a company or a Southeastern headquarters to a city that for 10 years now has enjoyed a reputation as the hip-hop capital of the world, and whose notoriety in pop culture is associated with thugs and low-lifes?

Because the demographics you just mentioned offers cheap labor. Corporations earn big with them. UPS made it here, BofA did it, all chain restaurants, Walmarts, Targets, several retailers and KIA is doing it now. BofA, as a matter of fact, was paying the same low wages for college entry levels as HS grads in customer service/credit card services/retention/collection/underwriting, you name it.

2) Agree with the caliber of the majority of recent transplants that btw keep coming without any prospects of employment. The amount of UI filings at the DOL Centers is significant. There are numerous jobs, believe me. TONS of vancacies for Computer, Mathematical, Engeneering and Architecture occupations are out there for the taking within the metro area. However, Atlanta metro does not necessarily supply the demand, if they do DOL has been having difficulty finding the highly skilled prospects. Good, career based positions come full of demands such as education, experience, certifications, skills, corporations are hiring within or shifting their workforce from North and West to South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 10:26 AM

103 posts, read 327,668 times
Exclamation This is TOTALLY TRUE~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresham Park, Atlanta View Post
Instead consider a broader view. A culture built on the backs of institutionalized oppression in Georgia has grown to affect many more then it's original target....we are all suffering more and more.

I think that this statement is totally true. I am from NYC and after being here for 3 years and working for a major bank for their call center; I do see that there is a system of "modern day slavery" here in GA.

But what is happening here is that the more affluent that were able for generations to avoid it are now feeling the affect and effects of it. You know...we "northern-ers' are looked upon here in the south and especially in Georgia as "know-it-alls" but what we see...it being blinded by the eyes of the natives. When you do not fight for a fair wage, fare homes and fare education, you fall victim to what is given which is only enough to get you by. When do you tire of that ride?

My dream was to move to GA...I wonder why sometimes....but I am gonna make the best of it and make GA my success and not my failure...

"I got my NYC on baby"

Old 01-25-2011, 11:45 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tab1975 View Post
we "northern-ers' are looked upon here in the south and especially in Georgia as "know-it-alls"
Some of you are know-it-alls. Apparently it doesn't make a hill of beans worth of difference that we are now the 9th largest state in the Union, that we have low taxes and relatively little debt, and a capital city that probably has the best skyline this side of New York. Not to mention all the other great stuff we've got.

Georgia has always welcomed Northerners and profited greatly from them making this neck of the woods their home, but finger waggers always have a tougher go of things.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:21 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,551,751 times
Its too many people and not enough jobs to go around.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:48 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,004,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
You have serious issues as those are ridiculous points and assumptions to make.

I think its time for you to move to small time Alabama or invent a time machine and go back to your happy Atlanta of the 1800s
We're on the same page. Forgetting all of the racial stuff, most of things were made up.

Most of the 1 million plus people that have moved to Atlanta in the last 10 years are on Section 8 and work at Walmart. What kind of ignorant nonsense is that....SMH

Old 01-25-2011, 04:33 PM

52 posts, read 94,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
. What kind of ignorant nonsense is that....SMH
Most dont have jobs and move to Atlanta area because the have a bright idea that they can work at Wal Mart in the morning, Target in the evening, party at night and still live comfortably. It spreads by word of mouth a friend tells a friend that i'm doing it you can do it to, then there is a snowball effect.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:46 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,108,499 times
Quote:
We're on the same page. Forgetting all of the racial stuff, most of things were made up.

Most of the 1 million plus people that have moved to Atlanta in the last 10 years are on Section 8 and work at Walmart. What kind of ignorant nonsense is that....SMH
You need to do some research. I don't have time to do it right now, but look up "Job Growth, Atlanta, 2000-2007" and see what you find. There's an ARC report about it. Job growth pretty much stagnated during those years, while the population boomed. Perhaps you can explain the disparity? Where were all those new people that moved to Atlanta from '00-'07 working?

Old 01-25-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
You need to do some research. I don't have time to do it right now, but look up "Job Growth, Atlanta, 2000-2007" and see what you find. There's an ARC report about it. Job growth pretty much stagnated during those years, while the population boomed. Perhaps you can explain the disparity? Where were all those new people that moved to Atlanta from '00-'07 working?
This seems to be a common theme with your posts (not taking the time to back them up). I won't be doing that for you as the initial claim is quite ridiculous IMHO.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsideperspective View Post
Most dont have jobs and move to Atlanta area because the have a bright idea that they can work at Wal Mart in the morning, Target in the evening, party at night and still live comfortably. It spreads by word of mouth a friend tells a friend that i'm doing it you can do it to, then there is a snowball effect.
I'm not sure what circles you roll with, but I suggest an upgrade.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:38 PM

52 posts, read 94,741 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what circles you roll with, but I suggest an upgrade.
There is no need for an upgrade for me. I'm not one of the people who searches for the promised land that the ATL's called in many circles from college kids who choose to stay there after getting caught in the hype and life of the big city loose their grades and scholarships and choose to stay and try to make a life by working at Wal Mart or 2 its still a job you know, to all the illegals who traveled there during the housing boom, to the average joe who follows a news article that said Atlanta's the place to be, to the transplants who's jobs were relocated to your city in which most packed up and followed then the economy tanked laid off by employers and unable to sell their homes many are forced to seek low wage employment. During boom times all is great and no one complains
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta