Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 11:16 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
You need to do some research. I don't have time to do it right now, but look up "Job Growth, Atlanta, 2000-2007" and see what you find. There's an ARC report about it. Job growth pretty much stagnated during those years, while the population boomed. Perhaps you can explain the disparity? Where were all those new people that moved to Atlanta from '00-'07 working?
Job growth was down in all areas, or just in general?

I moved here in 2004 because a company here wanted a person with my specific experience and skillset and they couldn't find a local match. They created a new position for me.

My wife found a position fairly easily after we moved here.

I can't speak for anyone else, of course, but I'm sure we aren't alone.

Maybe qualified transplants are coming down and simply replacing the local talent? That would suck, but it's possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 11:20 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,965 times
Don't believe him, he puts Atlanta down anyway b/c he thinks Atlanta is black and anything positive for Atlanta would be a positive reflection on black people which he would hate.

GA was a booming state in the 2000s and only an IDIOT would argue otherwise. We had some of the biggest growing counties and cities. People moved to GA b/c of the economy, who the hell moves somewhere for a **** poor economy? That defies basic economics and logic.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:58 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,254 times
I found the report:

http://www.atlantaregional.com/File%...nt_Feb09v5.pdf

Between 2000 and 2006, Atlanta added around 70,000 jobs, compared to an average of 55,000 per year in the 1990s. Houston added 100,000 jobs in 2007 alone.

I also found this old city-data thread about an AJC article detailing a report from the ARC, but I am not sure if it's the same one:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ine-metro.html

-Of jobs that pay on average $5,700 a month, more than 40,000 had been lost since 2001 (before the recession). This was highlighted as a "significant concern since 2000” by an economist quoted in the article.

-Metro Atlanta never fully recovered from the dot-com bust early in the decade when 60,000 well-paid jobs were lost.

-Since 2000, most of the jobs created have been low-paying jobs.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlanta/966624-population-growth-vs-employment-growth.html

Another city-data post showing the disparity between job- and population-growth in Atlanta and comparing to other places. The data presented is startling.

But don't take my word for it. Type in "job growth" or "best places for jobs" on google. Atlanta is rarely mentioned. That should be very surprising for those who remembers the economic superstar this region was in the 1990s.

Last edited by BringBackCobain; 01-26-2011 at 12:24 AM..

Old 01-26-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Don't believe him, he puts Atlanta down anyway b/c he thinks Atlanta is black and anything positive for Atlanta would be a positive reflection on black people which he would hate.

GA was a booming state in the 2000s and only an IDIOT would argue otherwise. We had some of the biggest growing counties and cities. People moved to GA b/c of the economy, who the hell moves somewhere for a **** poor economy? That defies basic economics and logic.
You need to get a grip and remember that this is the internet--you don't know me. I was born and raised in Atlanta. Why would I want it to fail? I love this place, which is why these problems concern me so much. Atlanta may have seen some economic growth in the 2000s, but it was nothing compared to the growth the region saw in the 1990s and the growth that was occurring in places like Houston and Dallas during the 2000s.

Again, population growth with no job growth is not something to celebrate, and is actually quite troubling. Obviously plenty of people move here without a job--take a look at the forum and you'll see about one per day.

By the way, are you even from here? Were you even in Atlanta in the 1990s? Didn't think so.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:25 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
You need to get a grip and remember that this is the internet--you don't know me. I was born and raised in Atlanta. Why would I want it to fail? I love this place, which is why these problems concern me so much. Atlanta may have seen some economic growth in the 2000s, but it was nothing compared to the growth the region saw in the 1990s and the growth that was occurring in places like Houston and Dallas during the 2000s.

Again, population growth with no job growth is not something to celebrate, and is actually quite troubling. Obviously plenty of people move here without a job--take a look at the forum and you'll see about one per day.

By the way, are you even from here? Were you even in Atlanta in the 1990s? Didn't think so.
So let me get this right. You tell me "I don't know you" then you assume I wasn't here in the 1990s? Do you know me?

You don't create premises and then draw a conclusion. You have your conclusion then try to find anything to back them up, a pretty poor way to debate or prove your point.

This should make you SHUT UP

Demographics of Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
According to census estimates, Metropolitan Atlanta is the fastest growing area in the nation since 2000 by numerical increase.[14]

Atlanta is also seeing a unique and drastic demographic increase in its white population, and at a pace that outstrips the rest of the nation. The white share of the city's population, says Brookings Institution, grew faster between 2000 and 2006 than that of any other U.S. city. It increased from 31 percent in 2000 to 35 percent in 2006, a numeric gain of 26,000, more than double the increase between 1990 and 2000. The trend seems to be gathering strength with each passing year.
Another gem for you to be quiet

Quote:
Atlanta is also home to the fastest growing millionaire population in the United States. The number of households in Atlanta with $1 million or more in investable assets, not including primary residence and consumable goods, will increase 69% through 2011, to approximately 103,000 households

Old 01-26-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
So let me get this right. You tell me "I don't know you" then you assume I wasn't here in the 1990s? Do you know me?

You don't create premises and then draw a conclusion. You have your conclusion then try to find anything to back them up, a pretty poor way to debate or prove your point.

This should make you SHUT UP

Demographics of Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another gem for you to be quiet
What does white population growth in the city of Atlanta have to do with it? Try to keep up with the conversation. First of all, we're talking about the metro as a whole, not just the city. Second of all, it's the socioeconomic status, not the race of the people, that's relevant. Third of all, I already talked about the city gaining upper-class residents in a post above and what it means for my argument.

In any case, how do we know that all those white residents moving into Atlanta are not moving from another part of the metro?

I don't see the direct correlation between the millionaire population and high-quality job growth. Also, that is a projection, and therefore meaningless as to the current reality. Also, Atlanta may have a lot of millionaires, but when those millionaires located here and how they became millionaires isn't stated.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:55 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,127 times
Default Why is Georgia's economy getting worse?

Well, why is America's economy overall getting worse? Look what is running our government in DC., and look back to what has been running our government for the last 22 years and counting. Now ask why is America's economy still bad and not improving.

As for Georgia? Yes it is in the same situation as the rest of America but is it still worse than most of America? Not by a long shot. Once again folks become emotional basketcases when in discussion of the trials and tribulations of others and also themselves. The "we always have it worse" is the manta. Kind of like a persons opinion of the "rich" is anyone who has a dollar more than they.

With my job I have lived in WV, MD, PA, NJ, NY, IL, and GA. From 6+ years ago even to today I still see Georgia as a destination for people and jobs (what there are anyway). The recent relocation of companies such as Asbury from NY, NCR from Ohio, and the recent listing of Macy's into Duluth and GA come to the local mind. Running the streets in GA and Atlanta daily makes one almost think of Georgia as a safe haven, well by the number of Florida refugees rolling in here on a daily basis

Think this old so called "uneducated, racist, oppressive, buck toothed, underclass redneck" state is terrible then hop off of the boards and get into your cars and drive. Oh heck, let's have a train tour. Ok, kids lets hope on to the crying train. Ready!! Whoo Whoo, Choo Choo Choo Choo, Choo Choo Choo Choo, Whoo, Whoo!

First stop, South Carolina! Ladies and Gentlemen, take pictures of their roads and buildings, there is the BMW plant and Goodrich Tires rocking, but not much else going on. Forget Charleston with the port business leaving for ...... Oh Savannah! That's Georgia. So leaving N. Charleston SC we last see the billboard listing it as one of the top most dangerous locations to live in America! Add that to South Carolina's #2 overall per capita crime rate outside of Nevada!!! Yep, double that terrible Georgia!

Next stop, let go to West "By God" Virginia! My homestate. Holding one of the highest poverty rates in the nation and home to "truly poor" residents. Not the "po" but "poor" See, unlike the po, these residents have no running water, no inside bathrooms, and some of the kids hardly have clothes to wear. Most kids have little opportunity due to their 100 year depressed economy ran by big government good ole boy democrat politicians since 1863, offer nothing. Yes, WV has less population in 2000 then it did in 1950. Glad WV does not have an economy as bad as Georgia!

Next few stops, Ohio! You know the state that just closed down Dayton moving its largest corporation to where was that place again darn oh yes! Georgia! So in the great state without a flag but a pennant, you find it joining other states listed as non other than the "rust belt" Now, let's cut to the northeast and tour other depressed states such as New York! Oh! yes, a bankrupt massive tax oppression states in the union. Like it's other partner above Ohio called Michigan, it is so popular that folks are packing up and leaving with a negative growth rate. Where are many of the NY, NJ, PA, OH, and MI tags going where can they be seen who are they who are the engineers, computer experts, accountants, and machine workers where did many go well I think they can be seen joining thousands of Florida refugees, where Georgia!

Time to turn the train and move full steam ahead west. Time for fuel in the ice box. This fuel stop? Illinois. Chicago and Cook County. Yes, the great state of Illinois who just suffered from a stupid sickness in November with the election of Quinn. Their present? A nice new 66% tax increase! A doubling of the state income tax, more sales taxes, a doubling of the corporate tax rates, Wow! And this for residents who pay the highest sales tax rates in the nation already and not to mention 1-2,000.00 per "month" in property taxes. Good news, is many companies will probably leave IL in droves like they did NY and MI when they did the same thing. Probably to hmm, where probably Georgia!

Let's take our train to our final destination tour. Choo Choo Choo Choo, Choo Choo Choo, Chooooooo Sorry, folks we are at the border of California here on the tracks in Nevada. You know Nevada, with 15% they hold the highest unemployment in the nation and now the highest per capita crime rate. My apologies people we cannot get into California. See California is too far gone. It's bankrupt, taxed to death, businesses are leaving for anywhere they can land, tent citys are rampant in LA and Sacramento, and their wacko laws will not let our train in. Something out our emissions from the engine.

Time to go back home to Georgia! If we push hard we may be able to catch the Housewives tonight on TV. Maybe a Hawks game, How about a Gwinnett Gladiators game?

Yes, America's economy sucks and it will not change until our federal goverment stops spending money it does not have, it will not change until our federal government stops the madness where our manufacturing is more free to produce in Communist countries then they can domestic.

There was sarcasm in this post, but when we bash where we live when we all know it is much better off then many of our neighbors then we need to do one of two things: Take a deep breath and think or shut up and leave. Choice is yours

Old 01-26-2011, 03:23 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,085 times
Quote:
Yes, America's economy sucks and it will not change until our federal goverment stops spending money it does not have
Uh, yeah our guvment spending money it doesn't have is the reason why our economy sucks. Forget the years of lobby sponsored Congress destroying essential regulations that let the financial industry children run wild in a candy store and many other children too.

And people, it's a fallacy to correlate population trends with economy in the manner that is being represented here.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:15 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
This seems to be a common theme with your posts (not taking the time to back them up). I won't be doing that for you as the initial claim is quite ridiculous IMHO.
Ive pointed that out countless times as no matter what the subject that person will always find a way to make it about blacks. Yet when I said it before my comment got edited for "discussing other members." Dude is nothing more than a troll.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:05 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Ive pointed that out countless times as no matter what the subject that person will always find a way to make it about blacks. Yet when I said it before my comment got edited for "discussing other members." Dude is nothing more than a troll.
And what don't you do? Feed them.

Folks who take the victim realm will always blame others. Some is class warfare others are race peddlers.
No matter what is wrong it is always the fault of somebody else. Black victim blames whitey, White victim blames blackey.

It's about as useful as blaming some other arsehole for their hemorrhoid issues when the pain and itch lies within itself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta