Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 09:10 AM

8 posts, read 18,084 times

Advertisements

politicians who are in the pocket! AND MANY CITY GOV OFFICIALS like a few "Mayors 'were busted for
different things in the past and hey what ya think when republicans Run things they want Rich Rich people and Poor no Middle class people AND WELL YOU HAVE TO SAY WE PAY ALL THESE TAXES LIKE FOR OUR CARS BUT THE RHOADS ARE SO BAD IN A LOT OF THE CITY ! but hey what do I know .

Other than that I love Atl.. bUT SOME THINGS NEED TO CHANG And the Street( gANG bANGERS ) Gangs need to GO away !! Bring Back the real MC's as when ther Ride in or around ATL there waS NO Street Gang Bangers were ther hummm I wounder why ....???

I THINK WE HAVE ALL HAD IT WITH THAT ONE RIGHT!!!
Good Pepole of The Greater ATL Area lets take back our Towns and Citys from this Mess ..
Like to Good Old Days of Atl Hay Day when things were good for us All ..

Just My Thoughts .............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 09:50 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
Metro Atlanta is getting better but I dont know about the rest of Ga

Old 08-05-2011, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,810 times
im from california and i am considering moving to atlanta. is this a good move for me and my family? will it be worth the move? is atlanta a good place to raise your kids?

Old 08-05-2011, 01:05 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in cali View Post
im from california and i am considering moving to atlanta. is this a good move for me and my family? will it be worth the move? is atlanta a good place to raise your kids?
Sleepless, I think the answer to your questions depends on where in the metro you live, where you are moving from and what you expect. I have lived in and raise 3 children in Midtown, and couldn't be happier overall.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:18 AM

1,241 posts, read 1,895,471 times
Wow. My opinion. Low slave wages causing people to work day and night, 2 jobs, for a 1/2 decent salary. This is a flash state where people are living way above their means (like the rest of the country but worse because the salaries don't support the lifestyles)....I believe in 2004 it had the 2nd highest bankruptcy title.

*I must admit in certain areas of the city businesses are professional Buckhead/Midtown/Alpharetta/ the city does function and operate as businesses should.

There are too many incompetent people in positions of authority and power who lack the experience, education, official job requirements necessary to fill a position.
This is the biggest problem in Atlanta.
2nd biggest problem is moving slowly. People need to understand that we are in an instant society. I.E. If I call you to cut the grass on Wednesday and you tell me you'll get to it Friday or sometime next week. Guess what? - You won't. Because I got off the phone with you and chose someone else. When you operate a business you are to be professional and do things in a timely manner......not when you get around to it. Bottom line you EAT off of people like me who use your services so in order to gain repeat business and referrals doing your job well and quickly is your best strategy to increase your wealth. sorry - had a moment yall. **In Business I am Not Going To Beg You To Spend My Money.

Examples: Clayton county public school system, state problems, and grady hospital collapse. These same people responsible for the screw up have the nerve to not want to resign/step-down etc..........but want to stay in the same role in which they did not perform to expectation.

Hiring criminals convicted of fraud to work for the IRS for $10-$12 an hour giving them access to people's job/social security numbers/incomes etc only to find out why some people never received their refunds. When they showed the two ladies mugs shot I was hot! How dare they hire two people who I would have never ever screened for the job (clearly I could look at them and know they weren't right) let alone ignore their criminal backgrounds and let foxes in the hen house. I wanted to ask the irs ............you passed up intelligent people with experience, a professional career, more suitable background ---i.e. without conviction, to hire obvious criminals who had prior fraud charges?

Atlanta was not prepared for the growth factor that occured after the Olympics. You can't be insecure in business.......this is a global environment. Hire the right person for the jobs and positions of power here -who are qualified- not the GA click/Kappa man/AKA or whatever and you will see a state that can function at optimum capacity.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:32 AM

876 posts, read 2,278,549 times
Hi Hatgirl, it has been pointed out in this forum that the job growth in metro Atlanta has been low wage jobs and not so much in professional positions. I think this low wage "job growth" is not exclusive to Atlanta by any means, but a reflection of what is going on in many places in the USA.

State, local, and federal governments overspent and did not save for a rainy day, so we now have lots of layoffs at all levels in Georgia and in many other states. They did not budget properly with other people's money and now look at the results in a downward economy.

Other examples: Birmingham, Alabama and Jefferson county may go bankrupt, probably some other areas, too. Birmingham's issue was caused by greed and corruption, not budgeting.

Local governments all over are hurting financially. Georgia has a lot of issues with that as we know, county or state level. I think maybe North Dakota was the only state with its financial house in order out of the 50 states and that is not saying much, is it? - considering how small it is in population in comparison to the other states.

Your opinion seems to reflect this and from what little I see as well. Anyway, in the Atlanta area at least, hiring seems slow and selective in some fields in the private sector, but right now the employers can be that way as there are many qualified people out there without work. The economy is frustrating to say the least for some of us out here in Atlanta and elsewhere for sure.

Last edited by SW30303; 08-13-2011 at 10:46 AM..

Old 08-17-2011, 10:09 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,895,471 times
Local governments all over are hurting financially.

I agree. Money and jobs are difficult to obtain everywhere and Georgia is not different. Being honest, there are many people in the professional arena that I've encountered who really shouldn't have the type of position or make the money that they make given their lack of experience, background, and lack of training/education. Sad but this also plays a role in what happens to the economy of Georgia.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:39 AM

2 posts, read 2,829 times
The economy is Georgia is getting worse due to the growing rise of companies hiring the wrong people. In other words they hire "kids" directly out of college with no experience and expect them to be the next Bill Gates. People with high level experience are pushed to the side, recruiters do not respond, and the pay is horrible.

Many have told me directly that the cost of living is so much cheaper. They are wrong. You get less for your money in the north but your pay on average is 50-75% more. If you are seeking employment it may take up to 30 days maximum. My experience is less then 2 weeks.

How do you change Georgia's economy? Increase pay and hire people with experience like other states. Companies are destroying Georgia's economy not the Government.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:02 AM

183 posts, read 196,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by had it View Post
The economy is Georgia is getting worse due to the growing rise of companies hiring the wrong people. In other words they hire "kids" directly out of college with no experience and expect them to be the next Bill Gates. People with high level experience are pushed to the side, recruiters do not respond, and the pay is horrible.

Many have told me directly that the cost of living is so much cheaper. They are wrong. You get less for your money in the north but your pay on average is 50-75% more. If you are seeking employment it may take up to 30 days maximum. My experience is less then 2 weeks.

How do you change Georgia's economy? Increase pay and hire people with experience like other states. Companies are destroying Georgia's economy not the Government.
If what you say is true then their wouldn't be as many new college grads who can't get a job due to lack of experience. I don't know what economy you are living in but it ain't this one.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,829 times
For example, Maryland's unemployment rate is around 6% compared to Georgia's almost 10%. That alone speaks volumes about the companies in Georgia.

Georgia has so many tax breaks and incentives for new businesses to locate a branch or to create a new "start up" in this area. Companies are playing the "we have no money" game even though their revenue is much higher in Georgia than in the north. They use these tactics to their advantage to hire cheap labor and maximize their margins. For example: BS Mechanical Engineering Grad will average 55k in Georgia, 90-125K + in Maryland. Average Rental in Baltimore = $950 +, Atlanta Georgia $900+. So is losing over 35k a year worth spending an extra $50 a month = $600?

Also Georgia has a high percentage of large companies. They sell products here or elsewhere (nationally) for the same price. So it costs them less to operate in this state.

Recent college grads need to gain experience. As a former college grad I had to work and learn before being thrown into a high level position. Many job seekers are noticing in Georgia that it may take up to 1 year to find a professional position. This, in turn, has led Georgia to have a very high unemployment rate. Not the Govt. or anyone else. The federal and state govt. make it very easy to hire people and provide tax credits in Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta