Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 11:15 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,909,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
You guys may have a coronary, but I would actually prefer to see taxes raised, but in a specific way.

The way it was done in Massachusetts is actually a decent model. Prop 2 1/2 was passed in the 80s, and it basically said that no town or city could raise the property tax levy more than 2.5% in any single year, without voter approval. That meant that if property values decreased, they could raise rates to offset, but the overall tax levy couldn't go up more than 2.5%.

I would actually not see a huge problem with rates going up somewhat to offset the massive decline in property values. It isn't realistic to expect that the county can just suddenly take in 25% less overnight, especially an already lean and efficient county like Cobb. The change to taxpayers would be neutral if you use the same method as MA. Raise rates, but so that no homeowner pays more than they did...say on 1/1/2009. Most people would still pay less overall.

Then when values go back up, the rates would come back down, in order to maintain the level overall tax digest for the county. Works well in MA.

Proposition 2½ - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When the bone starts getting cut, I have no problem looking at offsetting what has been an unnatural decline. The worry for me is whether or not the honest thing is done and taxes are reduced when the crisis is over. That never seems to happen. The mistake that many liberals make is the assumption that anyone who wants a responsible gov't or a fair tax system is "against taxes" ....period. Not true, at least in my case. I don't mind paying "my fair share" provided it is my fair share, and not mine plus the share of ten other people.

With property tax, everyone pays, not just people with homes that are worth a certain value or above. We don't have 50% of homeowners paying no taxes. The more your home is worth, the more you pay. Fairness is a key test to me. Do we all share the burden and pain of an increase?
Just about having a coronary here, it's true, but I'm in perfect agreement, particularly with the bolded parts. It doesn't make sense to me for the many homeowners like me, who aren't moving and haven't lost our jobs, to start paying a lot less in property taxes - and getting a lot less in services - because our property values have declined. I'm not happy about my loss of capital in my home, at the present time, but that unhappy circumstance hasn't actually reduced my ability to pay for the county to have libraries.

I'm actually fortunate - my local branch (which my family does use) is one of the four remaining open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 01:16 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,061,333 times
We voted in bond issues in No. Fulton to add to the library system. The community meetings are being held this month to determine locations and services. I am eagerly anticipating the opening of a library in Milton. Libraries foster community IMO.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:07 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,245,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Just about having a coronary here, it's true, but I'm in perfect agreement, particularly with the bolded parts. It doesn't make sense to me for the many homeowners like me, who aren't moving and haven't lost our jobs, to start paying a lot less in property taxes - and getting a lot less in services - because our property values have declined. I'm not happy about my loss of capital in my home, at the present time, but that unhappy circumstance hasn't actually reduced my ability to pay for the county to have libraries.

I'm actually fortunate - my local branch (which my family does use) is one of the four remaining open.
I agree that it's an extenuating circumstance, and giving the entire county a huge reduction in property tax has to be made up somewhere. The only thing I would be concerned about is that a so-called "temporary" taxes or increases in rates tend to never get repealed. That ends up meaning a tax increase in the end. When values go back up, will the county commission lower rates?

The branch near me is remaining open as well, but that's not mitigating my concern for the overall problem. I would assume that more tax abatement requests and value changes will be requested by homeowners. One does have to ask whether it's appropriate for someone to get a 30% reduction in overall tax burden in a very short time.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:17 PM

12,979 posts, read 14,612,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
The branch near me is remaining open as well, but that's not mitigating my concern for the overall problem. I would assume that more tax abatement requests and value changes will be requested by homeowners. One does have to ask whether it's appropriate for someone to get a 30% reduction in overall tax burden in a very short time.
Good point. The branch nearest me will remain open too.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:37 PM

439 posts, read 855,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
13 of Cobb County's 17 library branches will close indefinitely beginning May 1, 2011. Only the Central, Mountain View, South Cobb, and West Cobb Libraries will remain open.

The Marietta Daily Journal - Library patrons throw the book at Lee s plan

Is anyone angered by this? I am.

I understand this is awful. But how much are those libraries actually being used by the public at large? Can anyone elaborate on that?

Old 04-10-2011, 08:18 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,980,293 times
The rather large Powder Springs library was also newly built a couple of years ago - guess it's being shut down too.

You can actually add me to the list of those who say "raise the taxes". I know it's traditionally Southern to complain about even having to pay one cent in any tax, but the fact is, nothing that people come to expect would be possible if tax monies weren't used to pay for them. If we were to privatize everything, then you'd have to shell out $5,000 for every trip to your house the police make for any reason, and $10,000 if the fire department were to save your house during a fire... etc etc.

They could also add taxes to hotels/motels, more on cigs, liquor, etc as well to raise money. If a library has been proven to be very lightly used by locals then I don't see a problem closing it, but some of the ones they're closing are pretty popular and more well used, and to do so many with such short notice shows a lack of foresight and planning. Hmmmm... curious... the Commissioners and their families get exceedingly good health care that's paid for by taxpayers. I wonder how much all of that comes to each year?

Old 04-10-2011, 08:30 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,469,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
I understand this is awful. But how much are those libraries actually being used by the public at large? Can anyone elaborate on that?
Shoot.
If they are not, we truly are about to move to a sh**ty place despite all the hype. Oh, East Cobb...East Snob...oh, the awesomeness of schools, oh the greatness of the area, oh the emphasis on ejuhkhation!
Oh how "upper-middle" class of everybody!

BS.

Any TRULY upper-middle to upper class person is also an educated person; and educated persons are usually voracious readers whose appetites for books can hardly be satisfied even by the highest of incomes or the largest of book-shelves in the home.
Educated people VALUE public libraries people.
Well-endowed public libraries.

It is a complete disgrace for East Cobb that they would allow themselves to sink that low. I am afraid it would just go to show who they really are: people with a bit of extra money who associate "education" with being able to buy big a** stuff. That would spell "HARDLY educated".

If East Cobb residents were 10% of who they fancy themselves to be, they would raise HELL on Earth for having their public libraries closed.

We are about to leave Massachusetts...but one thing I will miss tremendously is their incredible public libraries as well as their deep seated belief that money MUST BE found to fund public libraries SOLIDLY, come H or H water, huge taxes or not.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:39 PM

32,052 posts, read 36,978,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Shoot.
If they are not, we truly are about to move to a sh**ty place despite all the hype. Oh, East Cobb...East Snob...oh, the awesomeness of schools, oh the greatness of the area, oh the emphasis on ejuhkhation!

BS.

Any TRULY upper-middle to upper class person is also an educated person; and educated persons are usually voracious readers whose appetites for books can hardly be satisfied even by the highest of incomes or the largest of book-shelves in the home.

It is a complete disgrace for East Cobb that they would allow themselves to sink that low. I am afraid it would just go to show who they really are: people with a bit of extra money who associate "education" with being able to buy big a** stuff. That would spell "HARDLY educated".

If East Cobb residents were 10% of who they fancy themselves to be, they would raise HELL on Earth for having their public libraries closed.

We are about to leave Massachusetts...but one thing I will miss tremendously is their incredible public libraries as well as their deep seated belief that money MUST BE found to fund public libraries SOLIDLY, come H or H water, huge taxes or not.
Sounds like a bunch of big dummies up there in Cobb, doesn't it?

You have to wonder how people who won't even read a book get through life. They must've had a lot of family money or something.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:25 PM

12,979 posts, read 14,612,327 times
Quote:
Shoot.

BS.

What a ridiculous post. You don't live here yet, and you are making stereotypical assumptions based on what exactly? Here are a few facts, the library closures are for all of Cobb County, not just East Cobb. The major reason for the deficits is the dramatic real estate crash which has resulted in reduced property taxes. Real estate in the NE has not been as dramatically affected.

But perhaps you should know a little about your own state before posting your little rant; State funding for libraries in Massachusetts has declined 38 percent over the past three years.

And for what it's worth, people are outraged. People are raising hell. Why do you think I posted this? Did you read any of the responses? People are not happy, and because of community support for the libraries, this was on every local news channel today.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:39 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,245,635 times
Quote:
You must be living in a different Massachusetts than the one I lived in for 15 years. All of the towns were closing or severely limiting their public libraries due to budget cuts. Most towns have one library, typically in a 150 year old building, and in our city it was only open very limited hours. Even cities like Boston and Worcester had very limited branches and hours.

The libraries in Cobb blow away anything we had in Mass. Not even remotely close, even with just 4 branches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta