Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 01:20 AM

32,037 posts, read 36,878,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Had it been the city of Atlanta, it would have insisted everyone pay a 2 cent library SPLOST on everything they buy for the next 30 years or else all the libraries will close and there is no plan B.
Why pick on the city of Atlanta? The TSPLOST was marketed the same way in every city and county.

Remember, it was the job creators who started this transportation thing ad were pushing so hard for it. Just shows that even a bunch of Republicans can occasionally get it wrong .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 08:24 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,927,832 times
Note: The topic is not about TSPLOST.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:48 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,218,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Cobb knows how to tighten its belt.
They do, and I think they do strike a good balance between necessary expenditure and raising taxes.

I know some of you may be surprised to hear it coming from me, but I actually was hoping they would raise the millage rate in Cobb, and they did last fiscal year. When you get to a point where home prices are falling and you cannot keep the tax digest steady, you have to find the money somewhere. I was getting a bit pissed at seeing the median on local roads with weeds growing 6 feet tall and the sidewalks becoming overgrown to the point of being unusable on Barrett Pkwy. Same thing on the Interstates a couple of years ago with trash and weeds.

I know that type of stuff is cosmetic, but it speaks to quality of life. I wouldn't let my front yard get into that shape, so why should the street that runs by my home look like it? It made a great area look seedy. If we truly need to raise taxes to keep our streets clean and the libraries open, and we've exhausted all other means of doing so with tax revenues continuing to fall, then I am not against raising the rates.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:23 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,088,310 times
Quote:
I know that type of stuff is cosmetic, but it speaks to quality of life
Totally agree, and it probably also affects your home value. I lived in Buckhead for years and was amazed when I went back last year for a visit and saw 3 and 4 foot tall unruly grass in the once pristine medians. This is Buckhead!

I agree with you that eventually millage rates will have to be raised. The reason people are against it is because governments will raise millage rates to raise extra money, but they they will conveniently "forget" to lower them again when values go back up and revenue starts pouring in.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:40 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,622,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
They do, and I think they do strike a good balance between necessary expenditure and raising taxes.

I know some of you may be surprised to hear it coming from me, but I actually was hoping they would raise the millage rate in Cobb, and they did last fiscal year. When you get to a point where home prices are falling and you cannot keep the tax digest steady, you have to find the money somewhere. I was getting a bit pissed at seeing the median on local roads with weeds growing 6 feet tall and the sidewalks becoming overgrown to the point of being unusable on Barrett Pkwy. Same thing on the Interstates a couple of years ago with trash and weeds.

I know that type of stuff is cosmetic, but it speaks to quality of life. I wouldn't let my front yard get into that shape, so why should the street that runs by my home look like it? It made a great area look seedy. If we truly need to raise taxes to keep our streets clean and the libraries open, and we've exhausted all other means of doing so with tax revenues continuing to fall, then I am not against raising the rates.
I agree with you Neil, you need to look at the long term view, not always the short term if you cut and cut and cut but at the end it takes 20 years for the county to make it back, whereas if you had not cut as drastically and it only takes 5 years for the recovery then you are much better off. Quality of life and crime go hand in hand, google broken windows on that. It gets to a point where it affects the value of a neighborhood, nobody wants to become the new Clayton county.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:18 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,694,207 times
Not to be offensive. But does anybody go to libraries nowadays?

Old 08-15-2012, 06:31 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,044,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
My wife, an avid reader, goes to the Cobb branch in the Mars Hill area about every other week. She also picks up some things for me. I'm not an old coot, but we still prefer paper over tablets. I read and view enough on the screen at my job -- I don't care to do the same when I'm at home.

As a reminder to those reading the headline of this thread and the original comments .. the headline itself is misleading (and quite outdated) since the libraries were not in fact shut down, and the threat was simply that .. a threat.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:53 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,324,073 times
Quote:
Yes, lots of people go to libraries every day. I usually go at least once a week, and I have a library book sitting right next to me at this moment.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:06 AM

810 posts, read 3,311,091 times
Quote:
The West Forsyth Library is currently under construction on Post Road, just south of Kelly Mill Road. It's scheduled to open July 2013. The other libraries in Forsyth are pretty active.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:28 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,149,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Yes, lots of people go to libraries every day. I usually go at least once a week, and I have a library book sitting right next to me at this moment.
Even so, we probably should be consolidating libraries. The internet is becoming ever more ubiquitous and as affordable as cable. Even computer prices are dropping. And eReaders are improving and are a green alternative to driving to the library to borrow some pressed dead trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta